Distant channels question and upgrade

Crickee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Virginia
We currently have a 622, and are considering an upgrade to the Hopper/Joey. We have had the distant channels with All American Direct since 2006 and don't want to lose them. We also have locals that we got in 2010. If we upgrade will we lose either of these? Which channels would be recorded with PTAT?

Thanks!

no you wont lose either

the only locals that can record with PTAT are the big 4 if they are in HD. If DIsh does not carry them in HD none will record

What local market are you in?

We are in the Charlottesville, VA market. I am just not sure if it is worth it to upgrade, there are times I would love a 3rd tuner and more storage, but our set up works. We have been with dish since 1998 and I am worried about getting the wiring cleaned up correctly. Every time we have upgraded, there have been problems and 2-3 tech visits required to fix the wiring issue.

since the locals for your market are SD only PTAT wouldnt work.

I take it you are too far away from the transmitters to do OTA? That would give you an extra tuner if you do a fair amount of OTA recording (and the stations are in HD)

Yes, that's why I wasn't sure if we would really benefit from the H/J set up. The OTA doesn't play nice here because of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I really live closer to Harrisonburg, VA and in reality should be able to pick up their OTA, but due to the topography they are worse than Charlottesville, so we just pay for them. We have 4 tv's total, 2 being HD. I have thought about just getting a 722K to get more storage. I have an external hard drive, but disconnected it, it is too slow when moving/managing items and I just wasn't happy with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)