Changing hostname...

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
I have two Azboxes on the same network. For the windoze boxes to access them I believe I would have to change the hostname on one of the units or in the windoze workgroup there might be a conflict or am I wrong here?
Under root/etc:
"hostname Azbox2"
changes the hostname to "Azbox2" as it should. However when that azbox reboots the hostname is set back to "AZBox". Where is the .conf file that runs at boot to set the hostname? I'm not that familiar with samba, maybe something there needs to be set...

I am using two local static IP addresses to identify boxes, and telnet to access them for command line. They both have internet access for u-tube etc but I don't use them for that, but I like to tranfer video files between boxes and two of the windoze PCs (winXP and Windoze 7).

I suspect someone has been playing with this already :)
-C.

I have two Azboxes on the same network. For the windoze boxes to access them I believe I would have to change the hostname on one of the units or in the windoze workgroup there might be a conflict or am I wrong here?

-C.

nope your not thinking on this quite right.
You do not change anything on the azbox itself.
Each Azbox has a different ip address and that is what windoze or any other program is seeing.
Then is does not matter what you decide to name the Azbox but remember to always keep it the same for that ip address.
I have 4 azboxs and each receiver has a different ip address and I use a specific name for each azbox for any programs I am using.

Thank you Stargaze; I will leave the hostname the same and see if it works. One will be on a different subnet attached to a client-bridge router that connects wirelessly to the main router here. If you can make it work with four I should get two to work! :) Both receivers are ultras.
Always interesting playing with this stuff.

Cham,

That is what I do as well. I also have four AZBoxes, but at this time only two are being used. I assigned every AZBox with its own IP address that is specific to that one unit. However, in programs like MaZEdit and ACC, I type in a PROFILE NAME for each IP address, just so that I can identify which box is which wihout having to memorize the IP address.

For my current configuration, I have one AZBox Premium and one AZBox Premium Plus. So that is how I differentiate them in these programs. You could refer to each AZBox by your own made up names that describe your receivers, maybe identifying them according to where you have them installed (i.e. DEN, BEDROOM, SHOP, LIVING ROOM, etc.)

To illustrate this, I will present a list for example:

192.168.1.2 = LIVING ROOM
192.168.1.3 = DEN
192.168.1.4 = BEDROOM
192.168.1.5 = EXPERIMENTAL (a receiver that you might use to investigate new channels with or just fool around with)

You must assign a specific IP address to each AZBox (192.168.xxx.YYY) during your initial setup of each box. Every box must have its own individual IP address.

Then, when it comes to the programs that access your AZBoxes, you can assign a profile name to each of those IP addresses so that you don't have to remember which box is ...xyz ...abc or ...jkl etc. You only need to recall in your mind that you are connecting to the box in the DEN vs the one in the BEDROOM and (by selecting the name you assigned to that box) the program that you are using (MaZEdit or ACC etc) will pull up the proper IP address for that specific box for you automatically.

It's quite easy and very convenient. Probably, the most difficult task is finding the menu option in the programs (MaZEdit and ACC etc) to record the profile name and attach that name to each specific box's IP address. I believe that you can figure that out in short time.

RADAR

There is a windows text file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts which contains mappings from IP addresses to names. You can put any names you want in there associated with IP addresses. Multiple names for the same IP address are also acceptable. The form is: ip.ip.ip.ip hostname (eg. 192.168.1.205 azbox) with each entry on a separate line. These entries will be looked at before any dns lookups. You can now use those names anywhere you would use a domain name. Browser, telnet, ftp client. I always set up my azbox, my router, and all my local subnet computers so that I can simply refer to them by name. This will work for any computers, STB's, routers or whatever that have fixed IP addresses assigned to them. Obviously, any IP's that are retrieved via DHCP can't be set up this way.

There is a windows text file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts which contains mappings from IP addresses to names. You can put any names you want in there associated with IP addresses. Multiple names for the same IP address are also acceptable. The form is: ip.ip.ip.ip hostname (eg. 192.168.1.205 azbox) with each entry on a separate line. These entries will be looked at before any dns lookups. You can now use those names anywhere you would use a domain name. Browser, telnet, ftp client. I always set up my azbox, my router, and all my local subnet computers so that I can simply refer to them by name. This will work for any computers, STB's, routers or whatever that have fixed IP addresses assigned to them. Obviously, any IP's that are retrieved via DHCP can't be set up this way.
Very informative and a different way of doing things.

Thanks Bud. I am often working on unix so I didn't bother to mess around in the windows box directories. Thought there should be such a file but didn't look far enough to find that. Hopefully the gui won't mess it up if the (windows) box updates or something. :)

<snip> Hopefully the gui won't mess it up if the (windows) box updates or something. :)

Windows has never messed with my ...\hosts file. Occasionally another piece of software will add a line, but Windows has never screwed up my settings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)