Changing my Dish setup.

Caymangolfer

Original poster
Hi all, I hope this is the right forum for my post, if not please close and point me in the right direction.

Currently I have a Dish HD satellite, connected via a single coax and a separator to a VIP 622 dual tuner. Right now the receiver is in the basement and with the help of splitters and RF antenna, we push both tuners out to all the TVs in the house over the existing coax. As it is running over coax all of the signals are in SD, which is fine as I have a bunch of CRT and a smaller LCD (35") 780p Vizio. Well I was given a broken 62" Mitsbishi Rear Projection HD tv which I repaired over Christmas. Now watching Tv at 480p over it isn't as much fun!

So I would like to move the receiver to my family room so I can run an HDMI out to the new (to me) TV, but keep the existing setup to all of the other TVs using the existing cable runs.

Where the run from the Dish terminates in the basement, can i have a 3-way splitter to run the dish feed over the existing coax to the outlet in the family room, then use the separator and a 2-way splitter to have the dish feed separated into each tuner and then from the out back to the same outlet (using a splitter), back over the coax run from the basement to the three way splitter and out to the rest of the house?

So the crux of the matter here is this:

Can I run over one coax cable the signal from the dish to the receiver AND THEN the SD signal from the receiver back out to house? Will this by itself cause frequency issues, also as the satellite dish will be connected to the same coax that is receiving the uncompressed signal will that cause issues going back to the Dish?

Will standard splitters work or will I need something else (right now I am not worrying about amplifying the signal).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers

Paul

Good luck if it's a Mitsu DLP. They were dogs. Mine failed again after Mitsu rebuilt the chassis 2 times. Finally Mitsu gave me store credit where I bought it in 2004. Don't count on it working to long. The bulbs are also expensive.

Good luck if it's a Mitsu DLP. They were dogs. Mine failed again after Mitsu rebuilt the chassis 2 times. Finally Mitsu gave me store credit where I bought it in 2004. Don't count on it working to long. The bulbs are also expensive.

It was only a specific run from 2004 that had major problems. Bulbs are $50 and I just replaced my original that has been running 5plus hrs daily since 2008. Most of the Mits are damn good.

You need a couple of diplexors to accomplish what you want. Put a diplexor where the original sat cable is and feed the sat cable and the cable from your splitters into it, then put another diplexor behind the sat receiver and feed the rf out from the sat receiver and the sat cable into it.

It was only a specific run from 2004 that had major problems. Bulbs are $50 and I just replaced my original that has been running 5plus hrs daily since 2008. Most of the Mits are damn good.

You need a couple of diplexors to accomplish what you want. Put a diplexor where the original sat cable is and feed the sat cable and the cable from your splitters into it, then put another diplexor behind the sat receiver and feed the rf out from the sat receiver and the sat cable into it.

Yeah this is a 2005 Mitsu, it was at my father in laws and it worked great until the bulb went out. He didn't want to mess with it and gave it to me, and the bulb was $50 delivered from Lamp Monsters. Even if I have to replace one every year it will still be cheaper than picking up a 62" right now.

OSU: Thanks for the answer, I have drawn a picture of what I think the A/V network would look like.

A question: Does this picture look right, i.e. where the diplexor's are placed?

Proposed_Change (2).jpg

no!
that does not look quite right. the first diplexer on the left of the diagram looks backwards sat nees to go to sat. in/out goes to receiver. if it helps to envision it, diplexer always face each other. in/out to in/out.
also, remember that you can run out of the home distribution port behind the 622 as well instead of diplexing. you can also place a splitter there, one line going to 'tv' on diplexer and the other going anywhere else you want.
also remember never to place a splitter anywhere between the path of in/out to in/out. splitters anywhere on the tv or home dist line is just fine. if you hook it up backwards you will know. no signal on receiver and fuzzy picture on tv2.

Last edited:
no!
that does not look quite right. the first diplexer on the left of the diagram looks backwards sat nees to go to sat. in/out goes to receiver. if it helps to envision it, diplexer always face each other. in/out to in/out.
also, remember that you can run out of the home distribution port behind the 622 as well instead of diplexing. you can also place a splitter there, one line going to 'tv' on diplexer and the other going anywhere else you want.
also remember never to place a splitter anywhere between the path of in/out to in/out. splitters anywhere on the tv or home dist line is just fine. if you hook it up backwards you will know. no signal on receiver and fuzzy picture on tv2.

Your right. Fighting the flu here, I didn't look at it close enough, just glazed over it. The first diplexor is backwards.

Thanks all! Sorry to reply so late but I was out on business. I picked up the diplexers and installed it all yesterday and it works perfectly! Have the Dish setup for 1080i out to the 62" and it looks great. Thanks for all your help, mucho appreciated!

PS SCA, yeah the lcd is SD but as it is a 35" 780p we haven't noticed an issue in picture quality.

Again, thanks all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts