Changing UHF Remote Address - Help Needed

DavidC166

Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Fort Myers, FL
For my first post, I have a question.

I have a VIP 722 controling two TVs. Since Dish is so popular in my area, the neighbors on both sides have had installations done. I am now noticing that my DVR is recording programs for TV 2 that I did not schedule. I presume that my neighbor's RF remote is affecting receiver.

What are the steps to change the address of my remote to eliminate this interference ? I have a UHF Pro 6.3 remote. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

It's rather easy.
  1. go to your receiver and press SYS INFO. Note the address being used for remote 1 and 2.
  2. Press and hold the SAT button on the remote for about 3 seconds until all the mode buttons light up. Then let go of the SAT button
  3. Using the number pad, enter a number between 1 and 16 (other than what is already in use when you looked at SYS INFO).
  4. after entering the number you choose, press the POUND (#) key. the SAT button should blink three times.
  5. point your remote towards the receiver and press RECORD. The address shown should then change to the new address you entered in step three.
  6. Press SELECT to close the SYSINFO screen.

It's rather easy.
  1. go to your receiver and press SYS INFO. Note the address being used for remote 1 and 2.
  2. Press and hold the SAT button on the remote for about 3 seconds until all the mode buttons light up. Then let go of the SAT button
  3. Using the number pad, enter a number between 1 and 16 (other than what is already in use when you looked at SYS INFO).
  4. after entering the number you choose, press the POUND (#) key. the SAT button should blink three times.
  5. point your remote towards the receiver and press RECORD. The address shown should then change to the new address you entered in step three.
  6. Press SELECT to close the SYSINFO screen.
here's the problem with doing that. He'll also change the neighbor's remote addy's as well.
He can oneo ftwo things. Either tell them both to shut down thier receivers then change his address. Or he can open the battery compartment and on th left side of the batteries look for the "band switch". He can slide the swicth to "band B" and readdress the remote.

"He'll also change the neighbor's remote addy's as well. "

The neighbor's receiver would have to be on the Sys Info screen to do this too, no? I have 2 622s and one 722, I changed the rremote address all the time the way 35LKSA explained and the other receivers don't change the remote address.

don't use the remote to access the system info screen use the front panel buttons this will only change the remote address for his receiver only. I install for dish, this is the best way to change the address, without changing any other receiver than your own.

don't use the remote to access the system info screen use the front panel buttons this will only change the remote address for his receiver only. I install for dish, this is the best way to change the address, without changing any other receiver than your own.

Aaah, that makes more sense. I always use the Sys Info on the receiver to change the remote address. Good point!

doesn't make any difference, unless the "other" receiver is also on sysinfo, it will ignore it.

The remote doesn't know you are changing the receiver's address, it just knows you're pressing the record button. The receiver being on sysinfo is what tells it to listen for the record button being pressed and change its address if so.

This has the heretofor undiscussed side effect, if someone nearby is viewing their sysinfo and you decide to record something with your TV2 remote, poof! goes their TV2 remote address. They will come here and post a question about why did my TV2 remote stop working. Not likely but it could happen.

doesn't make any difference, unless the "other" receiver is also on sysinfo, it will ignore it.

The remote doesn't know you are changing the receiver's address, it just knows you're pressing the record button. The receiver being on sysinfo is what tells it to listen for the record button being pressed and change its address if so.

This has the heretofor undiscussed side effect, if someone nearby is viewing their sysinfo and you decide to record something with your TV2 remote, poof! goes their TV2 remote address. They will come here and post a question about why did my TV2 remote stop working. Not likely but it could happen.

I guess the point is that if your neighbor's receiver is on the same remote address and you go to Sys Info with the remote, the neighbor's receiver also goes to Sys Info. So you're basically changing the neighbor's receiver remote address again and you haven't solved the problem.

Ah, good call there, I missed that one. Duh!

You have solved the problem "temporarily" i.e. until the neighbor figures out what happened and changes their remote address to match yours. :)

You CAN NOT turn on the system info screen on your neighbors reciever by manually pressing the system info screen on your receiver. Just like by turn on your TV by pressing the power button on the front of the Tv you won't turn on your neighbors TV DAH!!

I am sorry. I meant to say select SYS INFO by using the front panel. My bad.

I had an issue in a campground 2 years ago. I kept changing my "neighbors" TV when using my UHF remote. They took the little antenna off the back of their receiver. Their remote still worked but my remote no longer interfered with them. They were about 60' from me. :rolleyes: That is what they told me.

I always set TV-2 remote address from TV-1. Just use the IR remote to get it into the info screen, then grab no. 2 remote and press record. Unless the IR remote can somehow reach into the neighbor's house, his TV won't be on the info screen.

I install for dish and the first thing i do with any dual tuner receiver is always change TV2 to some other remote address besides 1. It has saved a lot of problems with service calls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)