Changing Zip Code for Satellite Locals

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
How do you change zip code to another city for the local channels? Do you do it in MyDish or call CSR? What about when you need a technician? Do you change it back to the correct zip code?

How do you change zip code to another city for the local channels? Do you do it in MyDish or call CSR? What about when you need a technician? Do you change it back to the correct zip code?

Are you wanting to "move?" Unless you have an RV account, you'll need to call in or do a chat. My script used to say something like, "I've moved and need to update my service address. The equipment is already installed and working at the new address. Please leave my MAILING ADDRESS the same."

Also, make sure you're in the spot beam of the locals you are wanting to receive. I know you're in St Louis, so consider Chicago, Hannibal/Quincy, Memphis, Decatur/Springfield, Columbia. I am in the spot beam for St Louis over here in KC, so you might be able to do KC or Springfield.

Are you wanting to "move?" Unless you have an RV account, you'll need to call in or do a chat. My script used to say something like, "I've moved and need to update my service address. The equipment is already installed and working at the new address. Please leave my MAILING ADDRESS the same."

Also, make sure you're in the spot beam of the locals you are wanting to receive. I know you're in St Louis, so consider Chicago, Hannibal/Quincy, Memphis, Decatur/Springfield, Columbia. I am in the spot beam for St Louis over here in KC, so you might be able to do KC or Springfield.

No, not for me. My daughter lives in the country. With her physical address she is suppose to get local channels from Abilene, Texas. They live closer to San Angelo and want their locals so she some how (doesn't remember) changed her zip code to San Angelo. Now she has a technician scheduled and her home address is not correct when she checks the MyDish My Appointments section. The house street and address is correct but wrong town and zip code. What do you think?

No, not for me. My daughter lives in the country. With her physical address she is suppose to get local channels from Abilene, Texas. They live closer to San Angelo and want their locals so she some how (doesn't remember) changed her zip code to San Angelo. Now she has a technician scheduled and her home address is not correct when she checks the MyDish My Appointments section. The house street and address is correct but wrong town and zip code. What do you think?

She needs to call and tell them "Oops! I noticed my physical address is old. I have an appointment scheduled. Could you please fix the address and reschedule the appointment?"

She needs to call and tell them "Oops! I noticed my physical address is old. I have an appointment scheduled. Could you please fix the address and reschedule the appointment?"
So she does that the day before the appointment so the physical address is correct and then lives with her local channels screwed up for a day. How does she change zip code back to San Angelo after the technician is complete? Her home is about four years old and DISH came from Abilene to install her Hopper 3 system after they moved in. DISH technicians haven't been back since. She doesn't remember how she changed her zip code to San Angelo.

So she does that the day before the appointment so the physical address is correct and then lives with her local channels screwed up for a day. How does she change zip code back to San Angelo after the technician is complete? Her home is about four years old and DISH came from Abilene to install her Hopper 3 system after they moved in. DISH technicians haven't been back since. She doesn't remember how she changed her zip code to San Angelo.

She'll have to call after the installer leaves, then "move" again. That's why it's important to remember the consequences of "moving." Move at your own risk ;)

Last edited:
She'll have to call after the installer leaves, then "move" again. That's why its important to remember the consequences of "moving." Move at your own risk ;)
OK, thanks for your help. Sure seems like there would be a better way. I wonder why DISH couldn't just give you a choice for locals when you live in between cities.

OK, thanks for your help. Sure seems like there would be a better way. I wonder why DISH couldn't just give you a choice for locals when you live in between cities.

It's all determined by which DMA you live in. They have to give you the locals for where you are. Even if they wanted to offer you the choice of a different set of locals, it would be illegal for them to do so.

dma.gif

US DMA MAP.jpg

It's all determined by which DMA you live in. They have to give you the locals for where you are. Even if they wanted to offer you the choice of a different set of locals, it would be illegal for them to do so.

View attachment 138071
View attachment 138072
OK, understand. Looks like San Angelo DMA is just outside of the DMA her address is assigned to. She lives closer to San Angelo. Is there a bigger pic of DMAs that shows the towns/cities that are in them?

Yep!

This is a very large, detailed map (see attached PDF)
I see the issue. Her home is physically located in the same DMA and county with San Angelo. But her address is attached to a little town that is in another different county and DMA. Now that is screwed up. Seems like DISH should be allowed to adjust the locals DMA in situations like this.

I see the issue. Her home is physically located in the same DMA and county with San Angelo. But her address is attached to a little town that is in another different county and DMA. Now that is screwed up. Seems like DISH should be allowed to adjust the locals DMA in situations like this.

Unfortunately, the gov't sets those boundaries, so there's nothing Dish can do. Some of it doesn't make much sense, but that's why many of us have "moved," among other reasons ;)

Unfortunately, the gov't sets those boundaries, so there's nothing Dish can do. Some of it doesn't make much sense, but that's why many of us have "moved," among other reasons ;)
Understand now. I didn't read all those threads that close about moving for the local channels. Now I get it. All this will be hard to explain to my daughter but we will get thru it. I also didn't read the threads that close about DISH and campers. Then my Uncle got a camper and wanted a Wally. Had to crash course learning enough about that too to help him. LOL. I sure appreciate all the help from fellow SatGuys members. Thanks again for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)