Channel 73 Locks

AriesGodofWar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Fenton, Mo
Not to start a conspiracy theory, but I locked out channel 73 as a form of protest and advised Dish of as much in a complaint note I sent them, well lo and behold, the next day, the Channel is no longer locked. My wife was the only person around and would not know a channel lock from a butcher knife, so I am sure it is not her trying to get at that high value content. Does Dish have any way to instruct your receiver to remove a lock, or am I just paranoid? I just found the whole thing rather odd as if they wanted to force me to watch it some how some way. Anyone else have a similar experience?

You haven't noticed the little icon that pops up when a commercial for a certain candidate runs on any other channel, which then directs you back to 73?

I really don't watch enough TV to have seen the icon in the instance you are referring to. But that is normal occurrence, for instance when a new season of a show starts I see that icon that says if I press select I can record the whole season of the show. I don't think Dish is trying to force you, I think Obama has just raised enough money to buy what amounts to as a 24 hour infomercial. The icon popping up is just saying if you are interested click here for more information. Let me guess your not an Obama fan? :D

Regardless of my thoughts on him, I set the Channel lock on my 622 to block channel 73, and today it seemed to no longer be locked in my Guide or otherwise and I did not remove the lock. That is my point. Could it have something to do with the change in Channel name the other day? I locked before they changed the name to OBAMA.

aries, did you lock the system first? before any channel locks can take place, you must first select "lock system"(option 3), enter in a pin number that you would like to use for your system, then any lock options you select will be perminant. also, you can turn of "tv enhancements" which will stop the icons that take you to the channel from appearing on other channels.

Maybe Dish should get this stupid channel off.
getting rid of this channel would be stupid. its just plain profit. it syas right on the screen that it is a paid advertisment. let them get the dems money so we can get more hd. peronally, i cant stand fox news. so guess what, i choose to just not tune to that channel.

I just dont get it

If you don't like the channel just don't watch it! Charlie made a great business decision to sell the time to whoever has the money to buy it. I also think it is a great political strategy also. If McCain has the money then he ought to establish his channel.

There is always a conspiracy here and on most forums. Just look at it as a simple business decision;nothing more or nothing less.

Just my two cents

JC

There is no need to complain...lock it with competence and move on to the next channel.

Last edited:
The channel changed its title, and probably that cleared the lock.

At certain points, channels change channel numbers, so it would make sense for the software to require that the number and title remain the same, otherwise the lock is cleared.

Political advertisements are nothing new, they are millions of years old. Wild chimpanzees (who have never encountered humans) choose the leader of their group. The candidates do various things to get approval - for example, they have been known to kiss babies in order to appeal to the females.

So, it is instinctual behavior - which is why it often seems to end up as a "gut level decision" rather than a rational one.

PS Dish has offered to also host a McCain channel - they would be glad to receive twice the advertising money ! ;)

There is no need to complain...lock it with competence and move on to the next channel. The neighbor who visited your wife probably unlocked it.

A comment like this does not belong here. It is disrespectful not only to the OP, but to this site.

Canceling because of the obama channel

I've been with Dish since it came out 12-14 years ago,today i told them i was canceling my subscription BECAUSE of the obama channel.I don't like his background,i don't like what he intends to do to the country and i dont like the way the media is pushing him on us.

I found this fourm searching for a dish forum and had to tell people this cause i'm so tired of the media shoving obama down America's throat.

I didn't even know that channel existed until yesterday when I read about it here.

Me either. I always keep my favorites list available and, if I don't watch it, I don't worry about what it may be showing. I can't tell you the number of times that I didn't even know a channel had been added (NHL Network SD, Golf Channel to AT200) until I had visited this site. I'm curious as to how much money Obama had to invest in order to have the channel placed on the air... My estimate is that DISH probably wants McCain to advertise with a channel as well (which is apparent with their offer). More money in their pocket. :)

Cade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts