Channel change speed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I have been a long time subscriber to Dish Network, and last year when I first got my FTA setup going I immediately noticed one thing. My Dish 322 receiver takes from 3 to 5 seconds to change from one channel to another. My Coolsat 5000 on the other hand changes instantly; just like cable or OTA. Are all Dish receivers like this, and does anyone know the reason why the Dish receiver would be so slow compared to the Coolsat?

I would guess that there is a bit of time required for the Dishnetwork receiver's access card to decrypt and lock on to the encrypted video stream. When we are watching the unscrambled channels using an FTA receiver, there are no keys required to decode the video, and therefore can watch the video immediately.

I'm curious about this too.

I had a thought wondering if LoTech was using DishProPlus equipment versus DishPro.
But I answered DP vs. DPP myself.
I've had a 311 with a DishPro Twin as well as a 322 hooked to a DishProPlus Twin and they both took their time changing channels.

Both dishes were 500's pointed at 110W/119W

So unless LoTech was using Legacy equipment, I'd say it's par for the course when using Dish Network Receivers.

:eek: *lightbulb goes on*
I've also read that all of the decryption is done on the receiver side not necessarily requiring a card. Neither the 311 or the 322 had a card in the slot.

If Charlie decided to cheap out and used a All-in-one CPU without dedicating something else to focus on decryption, then I could easily see it bog down.

Neither the 311 or the 322 had a card in the slot.
the card was built in...sort of

They just chopped the card apart and it was right on the board. There was a way that if you put a new card in (as done with the card swap) it would override the existing card

You might try the question in the DishNetwork forum department.

I have an old PVR 508 still under subscription, and it takes about 4 seconds to change channels.
I don't remember it taking this long a few years ago.
Maybe it's the new purple card?
I only watch what I've pre-recorded, so I just don't notice the lag.
And I don't "channel surf".

Mine's equipped with a DishPro 500 LNB assembly with a DP34 switch.
Not Plus, not Legacy.
'Bout the only thing half way technical I've done with it in the last 3-4 years, is trim the tree branches. :)

I have been a long time subscriber to Dish Network, and last year when I first got my FTA setup going I immediately noticed one thing. My Dish 322 receiver takes from 3 to 5 seconds to change from one channel to another. My Coolsat 5000 on the other hand changes instantly; just like cable or OTA. Are all Dish receivers like this, and does anyone know the reason why the Dish receiver would be so slow compared to the Coolsat?

I haven't had a DN subscription for more than five years now. I believe the receiver I had was a 322 model. I do not remember it taking that long to switch channels, I thought it was almost instantaneous, so I think it is because of the new encryption system and the receiver has to process the information before it decrypts the signal.

I had a DN 500 antenna and the DN 322 receiver with no external switches involved (all built in to the DishPro TWIN LNBF).

It would be my speculation that it has more to do with DN's newest security measures than anything else, but I would simply be taking a semi-educated guess.

RADAR

I have it on good authority that with the newer model stb's, a channel change request is forwarded to 3 customer support people in India , who vote on the request, and then either implement it, or flash a placard that the channel is not authorized on your account. The delay is in the manual tabulation of the votes, I believe.
:)
This may be related, Stop Alien Abductions .

I have it on good authority that with the newer model stb's, a channel change request is forwarded to 3 customer support people in India , who vote on the request, and then either implement it, or flash a placard that the channel is not authorized on your account. The delay is in the manual tabulation of the votes, I believe.
:)

At least that's an upgrade from the old system: one in Nigeria, one in Taiwan, and one in mainland China. They mail in their votes which are hand tabulated, hermetically sealed, and kept in a mayonaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch.

At least that's an upgrade from the old system: one in Nigeria, one in Taiwan, and one in mainland China. They mail in their votes which are hand tabulated, hermetically sealed, and kept in a mayonaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch.

"May a Nigerian billionaire withdraw all the money in your bank account."

Pvr's often take a little longer to tune as they record the stream to the hdd then play it off the hdd so you can pause or rewind at any time.

Also many receivers wait for the index fram before displaying video so the video goes pop and its in insted of mpeg pixelating untill the screen is full. Depending on how the stream is encoded there may be more or less index frames. So one proider would show video sooner then another.

I'll agree on waiting to sync up on the new GOP (group of pictures).
From experiences editing the video, I know that Dish sometimes has GOPs over 60 frames in length.
60 would be two seconds.
18 frames in a GOP would be DVD spec for North America.
Even when I insert new sync frames at 24, it takes quite a bit of extra computer processing horsepower 'n time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts