Nasa AMC 6 Ku?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
Is Nasa broadcasting on Ku on AMC 6 or is my receiver and lnb going crazy. :confused:

I have a Fortec Star Mercury II receiver and I have my LNB set to 10750 and when I do the blind scan I find the HQ1 thru HQ5 plus something called Cardinals OTA (audio only)

Am I on Ku or is something fishy?

11858/V/26688 on HQ1 is that not Ku? :confused:

It is not on the Ku band, your picking it up from C-Band.

Take 11858 - 10750 = 1108
Then take 5150 - 1108 and you get 4042.

NASA is on 4040 C-Band on AMC-6.

Your LO frequency 10750 should be set to 5150, because your using a C-Band LNB.

It is not on the Ku band, your picking it up from C-Band.

Take 11858 - 10750 = 1108
Then take 5150 - 1108 and you get 4042.

NASA is on 4040 C-Band on AMC-6.

Your LO frequency 10750 should be set to 5150, because your using a C-Band LNB.

Well I was thinking it I have it set for 10750 it wouldn't find the stuff on 5150. The blind scans are different when I have it set for 5150. Must be this BSC 621 sends both C and Ku at the same time.

Thanks. I haven't messed with this FTA for a while. I lost my mind. :D

Is Nasa broadcasting on Ku on AMC 6 or is my receiver and lnb going crazy.

Your equipment is just fine. What I believe you probably saw was a relay of NASA TV's launch coverage for, um, "peacocks".

(Never heard of that algebra a couple of posts above. Is that really possible?)

Last edited:
Qwert1515's "algebra" is correct, and it's obviously the C-band feed. It probably is what Ice suggested, ie that the switch settings aren't correct, so the wrong LNB is being monitored, however the question asked above about is it sending both C and Ku, is interesting. These switches typically don't have very good isolation, so *IF* both the C and Ku lnbs are constantly powered, it could be that the switch settings are correct but that there is leakage of the C-band signal when Ku is selected. I'm not familiar enough with this LNBF to know whether both lnbs are powered or just the one selected. A regular DiseqC or 22khz switch doesn't pass power to the LNBs not selected, but I don't know what they do in these dual band things. There would be advantages and disadvantages to doing it either way. Powering both is bad because of the likely leakage from the wrong lnb, but is good, because the lnbs are always on, and their temperature gets stabilized. Anyway, I've been curious about whether both lnbs are powered or just the one selected. It's probably just incorrect switch settings or bad switch though.

I know the 621-2 has a internal diseqc switch in it but somehow if you hook the C-Band to port 1 and KU to port 2 of an external diseqc switch it works. I noticed if you try any other way it wont work right unless C-Band is on port 1

The 22k on the 621 is probably a run of the mill 22k switch

but back to the math, qwert is right. Doesnt matter what the LNB LO is, if the receiver scans the IF frequency (as Pansat's do), it will pick up whatever band you are on. I did that once and forgot to change the LO back to 5150 and wondered why I was getting the networks on G16 at a KU band frequency ;)

I saw NASA on AMC-6 Friday and noticed it again on Sunday. I only have KU so it can't be coming from C-Band. Perhaps it is a feed for the NBC networks.

-LoTech

During missions, you can often find rebroadcasts of NASA signals on various network newsfeed signals. However the OP mentioned scanning in "HQ1 thru HQ5", and this is clearly the C-band signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)