Channel Master 7777 amplifier problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spacenerd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Wapakoneta, Ohio
I ordered a Channel Master 7777 amplifier but have had no luck at getting one that works. I am now sending the second back to the supplier. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there another amp from another supplier that has close to the same specs?
Thanks,
Spacenerd

I ordered a Channel Master 7777 amplifier but have had no luck at getting one that works. I am now sending the second back to the supplier. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there another amp from another supplier that has close to the same specs?

I've been using different Channel Master amplifiers for years and have never had an issue with any of them not working, only thing that I can think of is either something is wrong with the your setup or your expecting too much of it for your location. Little more information about your problems of it not working would be helpful.

I've been using different Channel Master amplifiers for years and have never had an issue with any of them not working, only thing that I can think of is either something is wrong with the your setup or your expecting too much of it for your location. Little more information about your problems of it not working would be helpful.

Agreed. I've had CM-7775 and CM-7777 preams and they work like a charm going on 10-years.

I have it hooked up as per the instructions and tested the power supply which is producing about 24 volts. To test my connections I hooked up the antenna directly to my Dish DVR I get a weak signal but was still getting a signal. With the amp in place I am getting no signal at all. I did have an older version of this amp but it stopped working. I ordered this from AMAZON and after the fact did noticed on their reviews that people were complaining about these units not working out of the box. One customers said he went thru 5 before he got one that worked. Maybe their seller is getting defective units. Don't know but it is frustrating.
Spacenerd

In your 11/02 thread JIM5506 may have given you the answer.
Using 45895 for your zip you are sitting on top of the broadcasters, the XG91 is overkill for your local stations and a 30dB amplifier is just too much signal.

Last edited:
I am trying to pick up Dayton and Ft. Wayne stations that are 60-70 miles away. That was working just fine using my old 7777 until it took a close lightning strike. Now for some reason or another the old one will only pick up channel 7 out of Dayton ( very strong signal) with a very very weak signal from the other Dayton and Ft, Wayne Stations.
The stations to the north of me are closer ( about 18 - 25 miles) but only a couple are producing a strong signal. Since the XG91 is very directional I was thinking I would not have that much interference pointing it south or west.
I would think that this new 7777 would work just fine for those stations that far away, but maybe I am wrong.
Spacenerd

Last edited:
I am trying to pick up Dayton and Ft. Wayne stations that are 60-70 miles away. That was working just fine using my old 7777 until it took a close lightning strike. Now for some reason or another the old one will only pick up channel 7 out of Dayton ( very strong signal) with a very very weak signal from the other Dayton and Ft, Wayne Stations.
The stations to the north of me are closer ( about 18 - 25 miles) but only a couple are producing a strong signal. Since the XG91 is very directional I was thinking I would not have that much interference pointing it south or west.
I would think that this new 7777 would work just fine for those stations that far away, but maybe I am wrong.
Spacenerd

I'm thinking you got more damage from the lightning strike,either it damaged your TV or other equipment that you have inline. I'd first try another TV set hooked directly from the antenna, with and without the amplifier to see if it makes a different. Also last option you might think about replacing the RG6 with new cable.

Sergei, Thanks for the info. I should go back and explain how I got to where I am with my set up today. I had my antenna XG91 on my roof along with a homemade antenna. Both were being feed into a Channel Master 7777 preamp(older version with two inputs). The homemade antenna was pointed north to get the Lima stations and I used the XG91 on a rotor to get FT. Wayne, Dayton and Columbus stations. The setup all worked very well until a close lightning strike. I was still getting Lima stations and all of the Ft. Wayne, Columbus and from Dayton all of the stations except WHIO channel 7. Very strange.
I then decided I wanted to get the antenna off of my roof so I installed a 30' mast. I went with just one antenna (XG91) the rotor and my old 7777 preamp and I did buy all new cable for the installation. Strangely I now get Channel 7 very strong but get very weak unusable signals from the rest of the Dayton, Ft.Wayne and Columbus stations. If I point the antenna towards Lima I do get decent signals from those stations including a very strong signal from Bowling Green, 60 miles away.
I was hoping a new amplifier would get me back to where I was before.
FYI I feed my signal into my Dish 722 DVR not directly into my TV. I will try feeding the signal directly into a TV.
Hope this all makes sense and you can give me some input.
Spacenerd

FYI. The "new" Channel Master amplifiers are NOT the same amplifiers that Channel Master had been making for decades, and they are not even derivatives of those amplifiers. They are totally unrelated. I think the gains are 16dB and 30dB, and I don't think they have a current production, two input model, so if that is correct, then if anyone sells you a two input model, they are selling new, old stock", which admittedly, there is always a lot of in the broadcast antenna business. a 30dB model is more likely to excessively intermodulate than were a 26 or 23dB models they used to make.

Do you have a voltmeter? if so, you should make sure that you have voltage making it to the preamp output port.

I am on my third amplifier, still no luck. No voltage on the output port. I tried running the tv out directly into my TV and bypassing my Dish DVR, still no signal. I think I may try a different make preamp and see if that works.
Spacenerd

I am on my third amplifier, still no luck. No voltage on the output port. I tried running the tv out directly into my TV and bypassing my Dish DVR, still no signal. I think I may try a different make preamp and see if that works.
Spacenerd

I have had good luck with winegard amps over the years.

The 91-XG is not overkill, but the new amp may not be as tolerant of the stronger local signals. How long is the cable run before it enters the house where a power outlet is available?

Spacenerd

Since your antenna is UHF only, why not just go with a Winegard AP 4800 which is only a UHF preamplifier and has 28 db gain with only 2.7 db noise. You don't need the VHF part.

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=3561

Does anyone have any thought on this preamp. It looks like it has adjustable gain which may work for my application. [h=1]AntennaCraft 10G212 30 dB High Gain TV/FM Mast-Mounted TV Antenna Amplifier (10G212)[/h]Spacenerd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)