Channel Master Targets Cord-Cutters With ‘Stream+’

You DO NOT have an Android t.v. box, you have a box that runs MOBILE Android OS that connects to the tv. Looks like you are misleading people
Which goes to show how important it is to be specific. I expect that very few know the difference between an Android TV box and a TV box running under Android.

Do the new TVs that run Android TV as their OS logically qualify?

My point remains that your posts were misleading because they implied features that aren't available in the discussed hardware. Extrapolating on this misinformation to suggest that some other product should be capable of similar functionality is a double-whammy.

Which goes to show how important it is to be specific. I expect that very few know the difference between an Android TV box and a TV box running under Android.

Do the new TVs that run Android TV as their OS logically qualify?

My point remains that your posts were misleading because they implied features that aren't available in the discussed hardware. Extrapolating on this misinformation to suggest that some other product should be capable of similar functionality is a double-whammy.

None of my posts are misleading, Android tv 7.0 has Dvr support and the Usb port CAN be used. Using big words doesn't change fact that YOU do not know the difference between Android tv OS and Android OS.

None of my posts are misleading, Android tv 7.0 has Dvr support and the Usb port CAN be used
Extrapolating that the Stream+ must be able to use USB storage based on a combination of largely unrelated third party products isn't reasonable. Scott reasoned that Netflix would obviously be available because it is available for pretty much every other Android TV device (as well as most of the Android devices) but we know that's not happening right away.

Clearly, Channel Master is saying that they're going to use the Live Channels DVR app, but beyond the mention of it requiring a MicroSD card (most of which are far too small/expensive to be practical as MPEG2 DVR storage) they are silent about where and how the content might otherwise be stored. If you must have a MicroSD and USB 3.0 external hard drive the combo ends up costing $250+, it's going to have a hard row to hoe against currently available products (or combination of products). For all we know, the USB port may be there to add ATSC 3.0 capabilities or play content from thumb drives.

DK. But as I posted, USB EHD support is planned.

Note they didn’t say “soon.” Charlie’s got that trademarked. ;)

Reactions: MikeD-C05
So you can attach an external hard drive to this new device instead of the micro SD card or do you need it too?
The available documentation from Channel Master clearly says (in the above quoted press release and on the above linked product page) that the Micro SD card is required, that it will be formatted before use and they show a 128GB card (not many hours of MPEG2 HD) among the accessories to be offered on the Stream+ product page.

Channel Master doesn't appear to have made any reference to USB storage.

On Technicolor's "Skipper" page, they say "Media sharing functions using a USB 3.0 port for plugging of HDD". To me this suggests that mass storage support is there for moving content on and off. The Skipper features list doesn't mention DVR functionality.

Until the device gets into the hands of someone who can talk about it, any claim one way or the other is speculation and new features may or may not be added later (much like Netflix).

The available documentation from Channel Master clearly says (in the above quoted press release and on the above linked product page) that the Micro SD card is required, that it will be formatted before use and they show a 128GB card (not many hours of MPEG2 HD) among the accessories to be offered on the Stream+ product page.

Channel Master doesn't appear to have made any reference to USB storage.

On Technicolor's "Skipper" page, they say "Media sharing functions using a USB 3.0 port for plugging of HDD". To me this suggests that mass storage support is there for moving content on and off. The Skipper features list doesn't mention DVR functionality.

Until the device gets into the hands of someone who can talk about it, any claim one way or the other is speculation and new features may or may not be added later (much like Netflix).
So basically you don’t need the external hard drive at all. I want to know how big is the SD card relative to say a 1tb hard drive. How many hours would you get using the SD card?

I want to know how big is the SD card relative to say a 1tb hard drive.
It isn't directly relative because DBS DVRs (such as the Hopper) record satellite content in MPEG4 and this device records using less-efficient MPEG2 compression (just as the Hopper does with an OTA adapter).
How many hours would you get using the SD card?
That depends entirely on the capacity of the card that you add; it doesn't come with one.

If the math has you bamboozled, think of 1TB as about 1000GB. 128GB would be a little more than 1/8th of 1TB. How many hours you get depends greatly on what you're recording but osu1991's estimate is probably in the ballpark. TiVo estimates 150 hours of OTA HD on a Roamio 1TB but there may be some overhead for buffering (if that is still a TiVo feature) and housekeeping.

Micro SD cards come in sizes up to 512GB ($280+).

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I pulled the filesizes off my Tivo Roamio OTA with pytivo, to guesstimate the 5gb per hour HD.

The Tivo's do buffer 30-35 mins or so for each of the 4 tuners on the base Roamios and Bolt and 6 tuners on the Pro/Plus cable only models

From the article I mentioned earlier, I suspect after a bit of a wait, USB EHDs acting as DVRs will work just fine. It simply would not be a very saleable unit if the only DVR option was a very expensive chip, and one that might not last as long as spinning platters.

From the article I mentioned earlier, I suspect after a bit of a wait, USB EHDs acting as DVRs will work just fine.
The Techhive article literally says that Channel Master is planning USB 3.0 hard drive support and that at this time it suffers "playback issues and other glitches".
It simply would not be a very saleable unit if the only DVR option was a very expensive chip, and one that might not last as long as spinning platters.
The real issue with flash storage is that you're not supposed to fill it with more than a certain percentage full so that the drive isn't forced to reuse (and use up) the few free storage cells that remain. DVR has never been a good application for flash memory and not much has changed on that score. That said, security cameras can use flash because they're only recording short "incident clips" that are automatically aged out as new clips come in; a relatively ideal situation.

The article also mentions that the Stream+ uses Google voice search rather than Google Assistant so you can't currently use voice control for much outside of searching for content but support for Google Assistant is also planned so you may some day use the devices features with voice commands. This points out the importance of not assuming that all of a software platform's (such as Android TV) capabilities may not be present on all the products that run it.

Plans and testing are how organizations try to follow their roadmaps but if it turns out that they don't work out, the feature may have to be taken off the roadmap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts