Channel reverts back to SD after loss of signal...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
So everytime a strong thunderstorm is close, I get the normal "loss of signal" if only for a brief moment AND THEN (for example) yesterday Hallmark 185 goes back to the SD version once the rain clears. Is their an option to stop this? I want it to revert back to like I had it prior, HD. Not SD.

Edit: Wally receiver

Thanks

So everytime a strong thunderstorm is close, I get the normal "loss of signal" if only for a brief moment AND THEN (for example) yesterday Hallmark 185 goes back to the SD version once the rain clears. Is their an option to stop this? I want it to revert back to like I had it prior, HD. Not SD.

Thanks
Easiest method I can think of is go to guide and select the HD channel. That Is the way most DISH receivers are designed, the assumption is you would prefer the SD picture instead of a blank screen.

You didn't say what receiver you have but it may not matter. I can tell you how I mine works. (Vip 612)
I have my guide preference set to HD only.
I do not have the SD version of a channel in the guide I use if there is an HD version.

If signal is lost and it does not revert to the SD channel, when the signal returns it is the HD channel.
If signal is lost and it reverts to the SD channel it stays there till I put it back to the HD channel.

Easiest method I can think of is go to guide and select the HD channel. That Is the way most DISH receivers are designed, the assumption is you would prefer the SD picture instead of a blank screen.
Well that assumption is most definitely WRONG.

You didn't say what receiver you have but it may not matter. I can tell you how I mine works. (Vip 612)
I have my guide preference set to HD only.
I do not have the SD version of a channel in the guide I use if there is an HD version.

If signal is lost and it does not revert to the SD channel, when the signal returns it is the HD channel.
If signal is lost and it reverts to the SD channel it stays there till I put it back to the HD channel.

At the end of my post, a Wally.

At the end of my post, a Wally.

Well yes, now not when I read it. :)

Wally is a new receiver so I do not know what settings it has or how it behaves compared to other receivers. Or what bugs it may have.

Well if its like the Hopper, Ive yet to find an option that doesn't do the switch over, unless its an HD only channel.

Just for the Record, If the HD channel becomes available again, it does NOT automatically switch back to HD version.
It stays on the SD version until you manually change the channel.
Doesn't matter if you have SD versions enabled or not.
Quite frankly its pointless for this system to even switch over.
Dish HD is not KA.
Its all KU anyway.
The SD version in my house 99% of the time is out about 5-10 seconds after the HD version anyway during a storm.

Which just tells me that the HD channels are probably on a weaker TP nothing more.
And Ive seen HD versions outlast some SD channels.

The 61.5 is by far the first to go.
And some of yous wonder why E18 is only a spare?
Clearly thats a weak location.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Thanks
No, with the new Carbon UI you cannot avoid the switching to SD when the signal is interrupted. With the old UI you could lockout and hide all the SD equivalent channels and the receiver would just go to lost signal and then return to your HD channel when the signal returned.

Why cant they make it switch back to the hd version automatically when the signal clears?
Probably because since the channel is now tuned to the SD channel, there is no trigger to know when the no-longer-tuned HD channel had returned.

When my 612 does this, I just select the channel from the guide again, and voila HD is restored.

Reactions: Tampa8
Well, I guess you did, but I didn't interpret "select the HD channel" that way. I thought you meant to find and select the un-mapped-down HD channel.
Yes, that is the only way to avoid this, and it only works on the older receivers. If you tune to the four-digit channel number, the receiver does not recognize that there is a SD equivalent. Newer receivers hide the four-digit channel numbers so you can't select them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)