ChannelMaster 4228

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

klen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 13, 2004
For those who have the Channel Master 4228 antenna, I was wondering how you like it, and what kind of "reach" it has.

I am midway between Milwaukee and Chicago and Rockford, IL, (all three are about 45 miles away) and I was wondering if it would be possible to pick up stations from both areas with that antenna. Does it reach out in more than one direction, and, if so, how far out? I can't always get the local Chicago Fox and ABC affiliates here with the Winegard yagi antenna that I have. (Voom upgraded it from the Stealth at no charge) Sometimes they come in, sometimes not. It seems that if one comes in, the other doesn't.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

klen said:
For those who have the Channel Master 4228 antenna, I was wondering how you like it, and what kind of "reach" it has.

I am midway between Milwaukee and Chicago and Rockford, IL, (all three are about 45 miles away) and I was wondering if it would be possible to pick up stations from both areas with that antenna. Does it reach out in more than one direction, and, if so, how far out? I can't always get the local Chicago Fox and ABC affiliates here with the Winegard yagi antenna that I have. (Voom upgraded it from the Stealth at no charge) Sometimes they come in, sometimes not. It seems that if one comes in, the other doesn't.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

I pickup stations from LA 90+ miles away without a pre-amp. This antenna is awesome! Many others in San Diego pick up LA stations using this antenna.

It is mostly one directional though. The "bow tie" elements in front of the flat screen should point at the tower. It is also got a very narrow beamwidth so pointing it at the tower accurately makes a huge difference.

I have not tried this but some people swear that if you remove the metal reflector screen it can pick up stations in both directions if the towers are approximately 180 degrees apart.

I hope this helps!
Carlos

Stacking 4228's

I live 15 miles from the towers and about 60 feet below the lip of a hill. I use two 4228s stacked horizontally. See this web site for an explanation of stacking antennas.

http://pages.cthome.net/fmdx/stackant.html

I've also angled the antennas up about 10 degrees to compensate for the angle of the hill.

This set-up works great.

If I remember when I get home I'll post a picture of the set-up.

I use a Dish 6000 which has a fairly poor OTA receiver and average about 70 on the signal strength meter.

soledade said:
I pickup stations from LA 90+ miles away without a pre-amp. This antenna is awesome! Many others in San Diego pick up LA stations using this antenna.

It is mostly one directional though. The "bow tie" elements in front of the flat screen should point at the tower. It is also got a very narrow beamwidth so pointing it at the tower accurately makes a huge difference.

I have not tried this but some people swear that if you remove the metal reflector screen it can pick up stations in both directions if the towers are approximately 180 degrees apart.

I hope this helps!
Carlos

Is it safe to assume that your 4228 is mounted on a mast or tower? I'd like to put one in my attic to pull in stations 80-85 miles away. I can currently get an NBC HD at that distance with a huge combo antenna in my attic, but only on a clear, cold night. What do you think my chances are?

richardn said:
Is it safe to assume that your 4228 is mounted on a mast or tower? I'd like to put one in my attic to pull in stations 80-85 miles away. I can currently get an NBC HD at that distance with a huge combo antenna in my attic, but only on a clear, cold night. What do you think my chances are?

My 4228 is mounted on a mast about 2 feet above my chimney on a 2 story house. So maybe 30 feet from the ground? I don't think you will be able to pull the stations through your attic. I could be wrong though.

I remember reading that composite or asphalt shingles on plywood roof are at least 6dB of attenuation. If this is accurate 6dB before a pre-amp really hurts.

Good luck!

scottcorinna said:
I live 15 miles from the towers and about 60 feet below the lip of a hill. I use two 4228s stacked horizontally. See this web site for an explanation of stacking antennas.

http://pages.cthome.net/fmdx/stackant.html

I've also angled the antennas up about 10 degrees to compensate for the angle of the hill.

This set-up works great.

If I remember when I get home I'll post a picture of the set-up.

I use a Dish 6000 which has a fairly poor OTA receiver and average about 70 on the signal strength meter.

We want to see the picture. It'll be interested to see how it looks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)