Charlie and Joe Speak on NY Sports

K9SAT said:
While yes short to medium term this is true ! 10 - 15 years out the satellite model will be for pushing video via ip for distribution. I think that all video delivery will be all ip based utilizing ip streams.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I cant aggree more except that we will need to do a much better job of serving our deep suburban and rural areas with affordable broadband Internet services. Wired or wireless.

I cant aggree more except that we will need to do a much better job of serving our deep suburban and rural areas with affordable broadband Internet services. Wired or wireless.

That's still a huge amount of bandwidth required, several-fold over today's usage unless there's some new tech that becomes available or better compression algorithms are found. That far out is an eternity in tech time, so anything's possible.

Personally, I think it stinks that we don't have MSG in Buffalo. He's missing out on alot of subs here that are Sabres fans....and there are alot of them. I like the idea of a NY Sports pack add-on -- YES, SNY and MSG for $5 a month seems fair. I would buy it and I think many in Western New York would too. And it would level the playing field with his competition.

Amen, brother![/QUOTE]

You are missing a big point here. Dish is not gonna get MSG-Buffalo or any other MSG Product that Cablevision produces period; because of contract squabbles and lawsuits dating back to the sudden dropping of the Voom Channels. The only way Dish ever gets MSG again is if the Supreme Court rules they have to supply the Channels and the HD feeds equally to all providers. Verizon thought they won the battle with the Dolans this week, when a federal judge ruled that the had to provide FIOS with the HD version of MSG. It was immediately appealed. Dish thinks their less that 14 million subs allows them to push their weight around during channel negotiations and in reality they are doing nothing but ripping their subs off. Have they reduced the NY Subs monthly fees since dropping the sports channels? Dont hold your breath Buffalo Sabres fans...because the odds of the Sabres winning the Stanley Cup are much better than the odds of you hearing Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale broadcast their games on MSG while subbing to Dish.

Wanting to be in a package is understandable if you can actually watch the programming. That doesn't work for RSN's. YES for example can not be watched during broadcast of major league teams outside the Dma. Yet they want everyone to pay for their high asking price by insisting to be in the regular package. USA or TNT could be watched by everyone. Big difference.

You are missing a big point here. Dish is not gonna get MSG-Buffalo or any other MSG Product that Cablevision produces period; because of contract squabbles and lawsuits dating back to the sudden dropping of the Voom Channels. The only way Dish ever gets MSG again is if the Supreme Court rules they have to supply the Channels and the HD feeds equally to all providers. Verizon thought they won the battle with the Dolans this week, when a federal judge ruled that the had to provide FIOS with the HD version of MSG. It was immediately appealed. Dish thinks their less that 14 million subs allows them to push their weight around during channel negotiations and in reality they are doing nothing but ripping their subs off. Have they reduced the NY Subs monthly fees since dropping the sports channels? Dont hold your breath Buffalo Sabres fans...because the odds of the Sabres winning the Stanley Cup are much better than the odds of you hearing Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale broadcast their games on MSG while subbing to Dish.

Actually, the first part of the quote was not mine....I'm was just agreeing (dreaming) with the original poster. (The "amen" part)

This being said, I have no illusions that MSG, SNY or YES will be back on Dish in my lifetime. This is a business decision that Dish is making and I respect it. The fact that DN has not reduced my bill substituting SportsOhio (Cleveland Indians) is the part that I dont like. (I've written about this before). It is what it is...I have DN at my cottage in Catt County (my only choice for HDTV....out of range for OTA, no LOS for DircecTV, no broadband Internet available), I've got TWC at my home near Buffalo. So right now I'm missing only a few games a year. This will be a much bigger deal for me when I sell my main home (no more kids) and move to the country permanently.

Verizon FIOS has won (so far) the fight to get MSG HD.

Sabres in HD coming to FiOS next month - Sabres & NHL - The Buffalo News

And FIOS has likely less subs in the Western New York region than DISH does since FIOS is only available in certain areas of the region. They think it's worth fighting for......why doesn't DISH?? :(

As a side note, Cablevision sounds like a bunch of jerks.

I can vouch for no FIOS in my area, Albany NY area, was promoted in april that they broke ground, and now its mid november, and no FIOS.

Cablevision isnt in my area lol, i guess its in NY City.

Wanting to be in a package is understandable if you can actually watch the programming. That doesn't work for RSN's. YES for example can not be watched during broadcast of major league teams outside the Dma. Yet they want everyone to pay for their high asking price by insisting to be in the regular package. USA or TNT could be watched by everyone. Big difference.

Did YES really want to be in a nationwide programming package without it's baseball games? Wow. That's in a nutshell the type of arrogance that so many people hate about the Yankees. No other RSN would even think about asking for that, but the Yankees think they are special.

Has anyone actually accomodated that request? Is YES in any of the cable companies' lineups nationwide or in areas where the games have to always be blacked out?

If this has been said earlier in the thread my apologies, one complication with the NY sports market is that both MSG and YES consider themselves to be something more than just sports channels. I think this complicates any thinking regarding their placement in a sports package. SNY however should not be an issue.

Did YES really want to be in a nationwide programming package without it's baseball games? Wow. That's in a nutshell the type of arrogance that so many people hate about the Yankees. No other RSN would even think about asking for that, but the Yankees think they are special.

Has anyone actually accomodated that request? Is YES in any of the cable companies' lineups nationwide or in areas where the games have to always be blacked out?

I may not have been clear in my post. I picked on YES because they are asking so much, possibly more than any other RSN. ALL the RSN's are in the national packages - meaning when you get the Top120+ up to the Everything Package, your RSN's are in it. With YES (and others) asking so much more, Dish has to pass that cost on to everyone, or else make NY subscribers pay more for their packages than everyone else. That's not going to happen, a national price is very important. That's what I meant, in effect YES would be asking everyone to pay so they can be seen in the NY DMA.
There are other RSN's who are very likely asking more than the norm, and Dish is probably passing the cost on to everyone, to avoid having a different price for every DMA. Maybe the asking price of YES and maybe SNY and MSG was the last straw. Making everyone pay for NY was not what Dish wanted to do.
I believe Direct is doing just that, passing on the cost to everyone, thus in most cases is higher than Dish. It may not be by alot, but it is more.

Last edited:
Wow... just wow. We lost the NY sports market, with no regrets from Charlie. We came THAT close to losing all our Fox regional sports channels. I think it's pretty clear from this that unless there's a drastic change in the way sports networks market their products, ANY sports channel that comes up for negotiation can be and would be removed from Dish, again with little fight and no regrets. He made it clear that sports are not important to the continued development of Dish Network. And yes, I had heard and read that about Charlie, but I took it with a grain of salt and always had hope that he did fight at least a little for us sports fans. Now, I read his own words.

I have a very bad feeling about the future of sports on Dish.

Doppelbok67 said:
Wow... just wow. We lost the NY sports market, with no regrets from Charlie. We came THAT close to losing all our Fox regional sports channels. I think it's pretty clear from this that unless there's a drastic change in the way sports networks market their products, ANY sports channel that comes up for negotiation can be and would be removed from Dish, again with little fight and no regrets. He made it clear that sports are not important to the continued development of Dish Network. And yes, I had heard and read that about Charlie, but I took it with a grain of salt and always had hope that he did fight at least a little for us sports fans. Now, I read his own words.

I have a very bad feeling about the future of sports on Dish.

Just wanted to point out that Charlie is an excellent poker player. This statement on Dish's willingness to dump sports if providers ask too much may just be a bargaining tactic. If RSNs perceive that they will be dumped if they ask too much, regardless of whether they will actually be dumped, they are more likely to moderate their demands. At the very least, statements like this do not hurt Dish's negotiating position.

Not saying this is the case, just bringing up the possibility.

I think all they're saying is that if the sports providers keep pushing, Dish is going to just say no, which is the way it should be. YES wanted way too much given the number of subs that qualified for it and MSG has price and a whole other set of legal issues standing in the way.

This all started over 30 years ago when boxing went from major network events to pay-per-view. Everyone used to talk about boxing when they were always on the networks. Now they're a elite sect of semi-sports no one cares about. This is where teams that choose pay-per-view-like channels to contract with are headed. Like UConn huskie mens basketball on SNY.

Just wanted to point out that Charlie is an excellent poker player. This statement on Dish's willingness to dump sports if providers ask too much may just be a bargaining tactic. If RSNs perceive that they will be dumped if they ask too much, regardless of whether they will actually be dumped, they are more likely to moderate their demands. At the very least, statements like this do not hurt Dish's negotiating position.

Not saying this is the case, just bringing up the possibility.
But you don't pass on the Royal Flush of RSNs in order to win with two pair

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)