Charlie downplays DirecTV's 100 HD channels

OK folks, can we PLEASE not turn this into another E* vs. D* thread, there's more then enough of those out there. The only reason I posted the link and the quote was because it looks like Charlie is saying it's not quantity of HD channels E* carried but the quality of them. I thought info like that was worthy of posting.

Its all about what specific content the customers want to watch. For example a customer that doesn't have any specific channels in mind might get Dish Network as they have the most HD channels today.

But for a customer who cannot live without their local football team while living in another state the only channels that matter are those 13 channels on DirecTV. Those channels are called NFL Sunday Ticket channels. I'm a big Buccaneers fan living in New Hampshire so in my case DirecTV has the best HDTV lineup as only they have those 13 HD channels right.

As long as a few customers watch per 100 watch a specific HD channel that channel is worth being offered on your channel lineups.

Fact of the matter is that we must start asking these two specific questions below.

1. Who has the most HD channels.
2. Who has the most HD channels "you" watch often.

I bet those two questions will have very different results and varied results as well. Those two questions have nothing todo with the so called quality channels issue as one persons quality channels could be another persons crappy channels.

DirecTV or any company can have a billion HD channels but if they don't carry several HD channels that I will watch all the time I don't care to subscribe with them. That is the bottom line on this whole entire issue.

How could this not be another e* vs d* thread? The title of the thread is CEO of E* downlplays D*'s 100 HD Channels.

Sports drives men to HD. DirecTV has EI HD and ST HD. That alone makes their content more valuable to me than even 100 Voom channels.

Well if you have 100 channels you are more likely to be able to have some that you want to watch. That is the point of having 250 channels, I have the 10 I like to watch most of the time, someone else will have a different 10. I could easily pick a package of 15 channels and cover 99.5% of my regular viewing.

This sounds a lot like my column at MultiChannel.COM today.

The way I see it, DirecTV gave the INDUSTRY a swift kick in the pants. And now the entire industry is rushing to add HD.

No matter if your a cable fan, DirecTV fan or Dish Network fan, this is more HDTV for everyone. :)

I just flashed-back to November 2002 when I just purchased a Mitsubishi Diamond HD RPTV and quickly discovered that I had to install a rooftop antenna and point it towards DTV antennas 55+ miles away just so I could periodically catch an a hour or two of primetime HD and maybe an occasional sporting event (Masters, SuperBowl). Cable did not offer HD in my area, the Satellite Boxes were expensive and offered only a few channels, and programmers like Fox said their Fox Widescream (540p) was good enough for the masses. I would willingly watch hours of PBSHD just because they were the only thing in HD.

How quickly (or not so quickly) times have changes. Heck, I just recently read where the 60th HD News Channel online here in the US. While I am certainly grateful for all the new HD channels, there is so much god-awful poor quality HD on the air today that I find myself deleting HD channels from my favorites.

I just hope we don't wind-up with 100 channels of garbage HD (poor quality and poor programming) in the near future.

Charlie sounds like Chase Carey last year.

When Dish had more channels Chase made fun of the content of those channels.

With D* projecting to have the upper hand in quantity of HD channels Charlie says that the channels arent worth watching.

Its just business. I dont see the big deal either way.

How could this not be another e* vs d* thread? The title of the thread is CEO of E* downlplays D*'s 100 HD Channels.

Sports drives men to HD. DirecTV has EI HD and ST HD. That alone makes their content more valuable to me than even 100 Voom channels.

Well then I guess D* brings you to completion :)

Well then I guess D* brings you to completion :)

Yes it does. They added FSN Bay Area HD to the EI package a couple of months ago and I couldn't be happier. Giants fan since 1971.

Tonight, I have a total of 5 HD games to choose from, including my local RSN featuring the D-Backs. D* advertised up to 10 HD games/week and they are doing much more than 10 a week. All-in-all, as a baseball fan, this package is worth every penny.

This is an interesting thread. I think Scott is correct in that DirecTV gave everybody a kick in the pants, even though they did not deliver on anything (as of yet), but they raised the ante.

Will I be upset when DirecTV delivers those channels? Hell no, glad for my DirecTV friends. I am a happy Dish customer, who has a LOT of HD channels to choose from (a heck of a lot more than the crap that the local cable company delivers). Over the past 18 months, Dish has continued to expand its HD lineup; with the biggest jump of one time coming next week. Funny, how excited we were when Food HD & Nat Geographic HD came last August. And more will come in September. Add to that improvements in picture quality and resolution.

Do I hope Dish picks up more of the premiums? Hell yes. And if DirecTV delivers on a bunch of Starz and HBO channels, then Dish will be forced to up the ante again. And we will all win.

The only thing that makes me mad, is how DirecTV has negotiated fairly obnoxiuous exclusive rights to MLB and NFL passes, but I probably wouldn't subscribe to them anyway; I just wish that the sports networks would see the harm they do by making these exclusive deals.

But ultimately I look at my program guide, and see 32 HD channels, 4 LiL locals, and another 4 OTA; plus a RSN that enables me to see the Rockies fall apart in August. All is good. In a week when the total increases to almost 50 channels by my count (including my locals), I am going to be even happier. :)

I think Scott has a good point. Everyone wants to "keep up" with DirecTV even though it is all perception at this point. Charlie's problem is DirecTV has a lot more effective advertising, and that's what people tend to believe.

As far as Voom goes, they do have some good stuff, but I swear they still show stuff that they were showing when Dish first picked them up. I can't honestly say that Voom has a lot of "compelling" content, but I have enjoyed watching some of the programs they put on. (I sorta miss GuyTV... I thought that was pretty good.)

The next year is gonna be great for HD fans, especially for those of us with satellite. I don't think either service can afford to be out done by the other. The lead may switch back and forth several times, as far as quantity is concerned. In the end, it may come down to quality. I see myself staying with Dish, especially since the USB hard drive is (almost) active now. It will be hard to switch with a hard drive full of shows.

rockymtnhigh; said:
This is an interesting thread. I think Scott is correct in that DirecTV gave everybody a kick in the pants, even though they did not deliver on anything (as of yet), but they raised the ante.

Will I be upset when DirecTV delivers those channels? Hell no, glad for my DirecTV friends. I am a happy Dish customer, who has a LOT of HD channels to choose from (a heck of a lot more than the crap that the local cable company delivers). Over the past 18 months, Dish has continued to expand its HD lineup; with the biggest jump of one time coming next week. Funny, how excited we were when Food HD & Nat Geographic HD came last August. And more will come in September. Add to that improvements in picture quality and resolution.

Do I hope Dish picks up more of the premiums? Hell yes. And if DirecTV delivers on a bunch of Starz and HBO channels, then Dish will be forced to up the ante again. And we will all win.

The only thing that makes me mad, is how DirecTV has negotiated fairly obnoxiuous exclusive rights to MLB and NFL passes, but I probably wouldn't subscribe to them anyway; I just wish that the sports networks would see the harm they do by making these exclusive deals.

But ultimately I look at my program guide, and see 32 HD channels, 4 LiL locals, and another 4 OTA; plus a RSN that enables me to see the Rockies fall apart in August. All is good. In a week when the total increases to almost 50 channels by my count (including my locals), I am going to be even happier. :)

I agree with most of this. Both sides push each other and we all benefit. Things are moving very quickly now on both sides.

Last edited:
Can anyone say how good the new channels are until we see them and what content they offer in HD? Anyway Charlie knows all about worthless HD channels cause E* has A&E. :D

This sounds a lot like my column at MultiChannel.COM today.

The way I see it, DirecTV gave the INDUSTRY a swift kick in the pants. And now the entire industry is rushing to add HD.

No matter if your a cable fan, DirecTV fan or Dish Network fan, this is more HDTV for everyone. :)

Scott, my friend. most of what you say I agree with. But your column today just wreeks of a fish smell. Sorry but you are not being factual at all.
You are being pandering to the likes of DirecTV. I have no idea why but as I said it is a fish smell here.

Now for the facts, You claim that Dish had to get a kick in the seat of the pants by D* as they boast of future HD content with no time frame nor no specifics on content to make up that 100, 150 or 50 National programs. The DirecTV advertising is all they have at this time and it is a shallow ad campaign full of Enron style hype. All they had to do to add substance to their ad is to define when and what will be added.

On the otherhand, you claim that Ergan got a kick in the seat of the pants by DirecTV and now Ergan is following the leader which you now claim is DirecTV.

Earth to satellite guy in the sky... Pleas go back and do this count. GBo back 3 years ago when D* began this shallow boast. Look at D*, Look at E*. Then look at each today. Set up a histogram of when these channels were added. Unless you are blind or doing some sort of pandering game, you will see that E* has indeed added national channels on a regular and steady basis. While I would have preferred Ergan added the StarzHD much sooner as well as MAX, NGHD and TNT, UHD etc. the fact is they did add these in a steady regular time frame. You and I are watching them now, not sometime in the future. So who is kicking Ergan in the pants?

Let's do the flip side on this and see what you and others would say- Let's say Ergan began his own shallow future prediction ad that says E* will have 152 National HD channels. Never say what they are, nor offer a finite date when they will be on. Would you then saay E* is kicking D*'s butt and now is the leader?

Scott- You once did an interview and reported the results here. Do you recall? You said Paraphrasing- the D* rep couldn't even list 50 channels that he referenced, and then when he did, you listed several errors in that list with repeats etc.
I'm sure you recall that interview. But what has changed? Certainly it wasn't that D* has now made that list of 50 or 100 Nationals public. Certainly that D* hasn't made the turn on date public. I only saw one change. It was you acquiring DirecTV equipment so you could offer a fair assessment. AFAIK- the only assessment you should have been able to see is that they still have not made any channel additions that resembles their ad campaign. With your Blog and posts here, I'd have to be concerned that you are pandering to DirecTV.

I have DirecTV HD equipment here too, but I refuse to upgrade it until I see truth in advertising. I have been a loyal DirecTV customer since their start in the mid 90's. There has been major changes in the company's integrity since GM sold them off. Back then they would have never put up a three+ year ad campaign that asked for subscribers based on what will happen some unknown time in the future. Today that is their pattern.

A few people here have complained about VOOM. Fact is there were a healthy number of VOOM subscribers who really like the specialty channels they had. May not be your cup of tea but many of us really liked the idea of a channel with art shows and history of art. A HD scifi channel, some liked the martial arts movie channel, others favored old time movies- classics in HD, some liked the 24/7 rock concerts. But when VOOM went down, it was Ergan and E* that picked up the slack and kept that programming variety alive. In a way, VOOM is no different than tthe HBO networks, Showtime, Starz, the NFL games on D* except for one thing. They all are in HD and DD5.1.

Speaking of NFL-- ( Rant)While it is true that D* maintains this superior attitude that they OWN the NFL exclusive rebroadcast rights. The reality is that it is extremely expensive, IMO. I have yet to find anyone who could prove to me the value of that package in HD. First of all I like NFL. But more important to me is I like following my home town team. Guess what- I get that and other Florida teams I like on Dish Network HD too. They just come through my Dish Network DVR and with 4 games every Sunday, that's about all I can stand to watch at a time. When I did subscrib to the NFLST a few years ago, I only got to watch 1 game all season due to blackout rules. When I cancelled I told DirecTV to call me when it isn't so expensive and when the games I paid to watch aren't blacked out. DirecTV said they don't have anything to do with blackoits. I accept that but then I want a f**kin refund! Their refusal to offer my refund for the blackouts cost them a $120 a month subscription.

Scott- I realize you made your bed now with this blog on DirecTV, and the only ones who will agree with you are DirecTV people. Those of us in the middle and just want to see HD, are stunned at your lack of objectivity. we feel your blog reads as if it were written by a DirecTV ad writer, not you.

Scott- I realize you made your bed now with this blog on DirecTV, and the only ones who will agree with you are DirecTV people. Those of us in the middle and just want to see HD, are stunned at your lack of objectivity. we feel your blog reads as if it were written by a DirecTV ad writer, not you.

Speak for yourself, Don!!

HD cable with the ViP211

why phone line?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)