Charlie says

Then there are some of us with older HDTVs that cannot accept 720p, so I am glad the 622 can do the coversion to 1080i for me. Pure pass-through on those channels would cause the TV to break sync.

No problem. Until Dish supports Native pass through there will never be a real good answer to this question. Everybody will have the own opinions on this matter and they will most likely conflict.

Best answer for the uninformed is that they set the 622 on whatever the native resolution of their tv is. If they do not know that(which will most likely be the case), they need to figure it out.

Also, if its 768p, go with 720p.

Yeah, Ive had people flame the hell outta me on here for changing resolution, but the 720p channels look better on 720p, and if I leave the box on 1080i while watching 480i is does some funky stuff too. Id just soon the box not **** with it and let my tv do the work.

For as long as I've owned HD I've argued that sports are better at 720p because of the faster frame rate. Of course my tv's native res is 720p.

Then there are some of us with older HDTVs that cannot accept 720p, so I am glad the 622 can do the coversion to 1080i for me. Pure pass-through on those channels would cause the TV to break sync.

Good thing about pass thru is its an option and does not have to be on. Just pisses me off its not an option.

But it would be nice to have the option. I could only use the pass-through on one of my two TV's. The other I will always depend on the dish receiver doing the conversion to 1080i.

HD-Lite does not affect 720p as far as I know.

HD-Lite is used to reduce the 12% overage thet 1080 has above 720 in bitrate.

720p is still a lower bit rate than 1080i at 1280X1080.

IIRC:

1080i = 60 half-frames per second (first pass=odd lines, second pass=even lines)
1080p = 30 full-frames per second

No difference in resolution or bandwidth.

Nobody broadcasts 1080p. It's not in the ATSC specs. A 1080p device simply combines the two 1080i half-frames and sends it all at once.

Fox, ABC, NatGeo, ESPN and ESPN2 all currently do 720p. EVERY other channel is 1080i. Whoever told you no channels send 1080i needs to lay off the crack pipe.
I just got the following from the Swanni (TVpredictions.com)

'Q. I still can't figure out if 1080p really matters. Should I get a HDTV that has 1080p or not? -- Tommy R.
Tommy, if cost is a consideration, don't worry about it. No cable or broadcast network is now broadcasting in 1080p and it may be years before one does. The only programming content available in 1080p are the Blu-ray and HD DVDs. So you won't miss much if your new set does not display high-def video in 1080p. But you will save money -- a 1080p HDTV costs more than one that can only display 1080i and 720p.

Now, that said, if you have the money, go ahead and get a 1080p set. You will be ready if -- and when -- the networks go 1080p. Plus, you will get more enjoyment from a Blu-ray or HD DVD player. The 1080p picture really pops if you are watching 1080p programming.'
This is dated May 3, 2007

And currently the only 1080p sources available are HD-DVD's and/or Blu-Ray. I really don't think the broadcasters/providers will ever offer 1080p. They just got through spending all that $$$ to switch over to digital and get the current ATSC standards met. There's no way in hell they will ever spend any extra change to bump it up to 1080p. However, after all the arguments for 720p giving much smoother images for sports, the argument should be that much stronger for 1080p. So, will Fox and ESPN and ABC ever go for 1080p? I doubt it.

Ive read it could be atleast 5 years before broadcasters even look at 1080p seeing all the money they just spent on their equipment.

Ive watched 1080p blu rays and cant really see any difference over my 1080i blu ray.

And I really wouldn't expect most people to be able to tell a difference off the bat. However, there are videophiles that say they can tell a difference, mostly on the highest end display gear, but I expect the biggest argument for 1080p will be the sports buffs who will want to watch the superbowl or whatever in 1080p. The most vocal of these will be the people who went down to the local B&M and picked up an HDTV (capable of 1080p) and didn't really know that there are no OTA, cable, or satellite sources for 1080p. When they find this out, they will be pretty vocal about it.

I work at RadioShack and I never answer questions unless I know the answer to them I will either go look them up if I can or tell them I'm not sure. I also have learned so much about the different resolutions and what is broadcast in what from this website, so I would just like to say Thank you! :) I've also learned so much about just the basic Dish Network Service, and where to send people when they need to buy replacement remotes we don't have. (dishstore.net) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts