Charlie thinks DISH and DIRECTV should merge.

...and now the bait is thrown out there, right from Charlie. Let's see if AT&T takes it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The way Charlie is managing things, he’d manage to merge with Directv while absorbing 15% of Alphabet (holding company of Google) for whatever reason.

Reactions: navychop
The question is " What would merge?.
The latest SEC report is like a novel and requires multiple pots of coffee to read let alone understand.
When you read it, you see "Dish" as an investment, is a (maybe) wireless provider and satellites are becoming secondary.

I learned a new word "tolling", where the drop dead dates for rolling out service are extended by the time period of current litigation.

One thing for sure, a bunch of lawyers are going to retire to Key West or where ever after having worked on this deal.

The SEC link
Inline XBRL Viewer

Sure he could, he could take away the YES network from Directv!
Not for a few years as contracts were signed. So would he have to keep both companies separate? How would they negotiate contracts when these deals don't line up. Completely different sats and equipment. This would be a bigger mess than when Sprint bought Nextel.

I also think too that this streaming stuff is nothing but a passing fad. As the cost still keep going up for it customers will realize what a better deal satellite TV is. The DVRs are awesome compared to streaming. I bet the satellite business will be doing a come back in a couple of years.
That's what Kodak once said about Digital Cameras

I also think too that this streaming stuff is nothing but a passing fad. As the cost still keep going up for it customers will realize what a better deal satellite TV is. The DVRs are awesome compared to streaming. I bet the satellite business will be doing a come back in a couple of years.

I’m a millennial and feel similarly. I already see it. People are saving some money now by cord cutting, but prices keep creeping up. In a few more years it will be cheaper to go with satellite or cable over streaming and you get more channels. Dish and many other cable providers already offer YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc built into their boxes.

I think streaming will always be around but all these services are eventually going to get bought out by the likes of Comcast, ATT etc. you’ll be able to watch what you want on any device, but folks will still be tied to a cable or sat company.

Merging Dish and Directv seems smart at this point. Like when Sirius and XM merged.

I’m a millennial and feel similarly. I already see it. People are saving some money now by cord cutting, but prices keep creeping up. In a few more years it will be cheaper to go with satellite or cable over streaming and you get more channels. Dish and many other cable providers already offer YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc built into their boxes.

I think streaming will always be around but all these services are eventually going to get bought out by the likes of Comcast, ATT etc. you’ll be able to watch what you want on any device, but folks will still be tied to a cable or sat company.

Merging Dish and Directv seems smart at this point. Like when Sirius and XM merged.
If it cost me the same thing I pay now, but I had access to an exorbitant amount of content that I could access anywhere there's a connection on a multitude of devices, choosing what I want, when I want, it would be worth it to switch to streaming

Lots of guys on sites such as this who are familiar with DBS technology immediately think about the costs/benefits of consolidating two separate DBS systems into one. But I believe that's a completely secondary issue. The main reason to merge would be to eliminate your only direct competitor and to retain scale (i.e. large number of total subscribers) for as long as possible.

My guess is that a combined DirectDISH would spend as little money as possible when it comes to consolidating the two systems. They'd never go out and replace all of one side's installed hardware with the other side's stuff. They'd always have to keep operating both fleets of satellites. But they could standardize on one set of hardware and one set of channel packages for all new customers going forward.
Something similar to SiriusXM merger, they keep the 2 systems going XM Radios and Sirius Radios at least for the foreseeable future, maybe eventually swap the DirecTV customers onto Hoppers with contract renewals or extensions.

But then it gets kind of pricey maintaining 2 systems like that.

Sent from my SM-975U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I would wait until word spreads throughout the masses and even more people switch to Dish in advance, lowering the value of CTV before any possible merger.

Sorry...but streaming has more interactivity with advertisers than satellite...also has lower built in costs such as not having to build replacement satellites....they can control subs more by using ondemand instead of a commercial skipping DVR...and most importantly the satellite frequencies will be eventually reassigned to technologies with 2 way communication

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sorry...but streaming has more interactivity with advertisers than satellite...also has lower built in costs such as not having to build replacement satellites....they can control subs more by using ondemand instead of a commercial skipping DVR...and most importantly the satellite frequencies will be eventually reassigned to technologies with 2 way communication

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
so data centers, cerver upgrades, fiber backhauls, ect dont cost anything?
i would wager its cheaper to maintain a sat than a streaming center
[automerge]1582201581[/automerge]

[automerge]1582201628[/automerge]
Something similar to SiriusXM merger, they keep the 2 systems going XM Radios and Sirius Radios at least for the foreseeable future, maybe eventually swap the DirecTV customers onto Hoppers with contract renewals or extensions.

Sent from my SM-975U using the SatelliteGuys app!

ummm, no, just no
i prefer my directv picture quality

Reactions: navychop
I think we're all overlooking the fact that Charlie did not say Dish and DTV SHOULD merge, instead he said that a merger was "inevitable". Typical of CCN, their headline is a little more dramatic than the facts. The article also seems to think only people without good Internet access are satellite subscribers, which is of course not the case at all. As for competition if a Dish/DTV merger does occur, there will still be cable TV and Internet available to many sat subscribers, plus the Orby startup if they survive. And affordable high speed rural Internet access could become a widespread reality when Starlink goes live over the next year or two. How many times have we seen posts here discussing switching to cable due to some dissatisfaction with sat TV? It happens every time there's another retrans dispute, so there would still be competition for a merged sat TV company in some form...

Think about it this way: the cost of maintaining two separate systems already exists with the current situation where DirecTV and DISH are two separate companies. So if those two combined and just kept everything as-is, maintaining two completely separate systems -- separate brands, separate billing, separate installers, separate hardware, separate channel carriage contracts, everything -- then the total costs just stay the same.

The reality, of course, is that they would combine the two sides in areas where it's cost-effective. Combine the billing systems, combine first-level customer support. They would probably choose one brand name over the other (or maybe come up with a totally new brand name) that would be used for all marketing and advertising. They would choose one set of hardware (receivers, dishes) to use for all new customers going forward (probably aimed at the DirecTV satellite fleet). They would sell one set of channel packages (either the DISH packages or the DTV packages or some totally new set), whatever would be most favorable based on the terms of their various carriage contracts.

Meanwhile, nothing much would change for existing customers. You'd still use your existing hardware. You'd be grandfathered in on your existing channel package. Of course, you couldn't threaten to leave DirecTV for DISH, or vice versa, to try to negotiate a lower price after completing your initial 2-yr contract. Because they wouldn't exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts