Charlie's Blockbuster will love this.

Charlie has deep pockets and can afford to start a price war with Netflix. Unfortunately he also must consider the studio deals he has in order to keep distribution rights to new DVD releases. How low can you go and still keep those new DVDs coming in? I hope we will find out soon.

I use streaming only, so my plan will stay the same price. Physical media is on it's way out, that's the main problem with Blockbuster. Just like record stores, it's a relic of the past.

Has or will the streaming library increased?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

The reason Netflix decided to split streaming and DVD by mail is that they realized two things: 1) there are still A LOT of people who rent DVDs that never log in to streaming. DVD by mail is still their cash cow and is going to be around for awhile. 2) Their streaming service is not expanding as fast as they had hoped. They have not been able to make some key deals that would have made streaming more desireable, because the studios are fighting them on the concept. The studios are not willing to part with physical media as easily as consumers, and are doing their utmost to push people back to the idea of collecting movies on DVD as we so willingly did a decade ago. I think once we see UltraViolet fail, THAT will spell the eventual end of physical media for movies.

I use streaming only, so my plan will stay the same price. Physical media is on it's way out, that's the main problem with Blockbuster. Just like record stores, it's a relic of the past.
I agree. That said, Netflix does not offer a large percentage of the new flicks via streaming... only DVD.

Shortly after the price increase came out this following email was sent out by DISH Network / Blockbuster's PR department.

Attention editors, just a reminder that when writing about Netflix' new pricing announced today, please note that Blockbuster, under the new ownership of DISH Network, also rolled out new pricing in the last month and has several competitive advantages to Netflix:

Blockbuster announced this week:
  • A month long pass for $4.99 for kids to rent unlimited kids movies from Blockbuster stores.
  • Sunday movie rentals for .49 cents at Blockbuster stores.
Blockbuster introduced in May new pricing in stores:
  • Lower rates and daily pricing: Thousands of titles were made available for only 99 cents per day
  • Just released movies were lowered to $2.99 for first day. Other newer movies were lowered to $1.99 or less for first day. Additionaly days only 99 cents.
Competitive Advantages:

Blockbuster offers a By Mail service that enables customers to exchange those movies in participating Blockbuster stores nationwide for another free rental.

Blockbuster offers many new releases 28 days before Redbox or Netflix.

Digital download services:

Blockbuster also offers rentals of digital downloads of movies to compatible mobile devices or PCs.

Streaming movie services:

Today, Blockbuster does not offer a streaming movie service but is exploring ways to expand into this platform.

Let me know if you have further questions.

This is why they can raise the rates on streaming. They are pretty much the only one providing streaming at a monthly fee. The other streaming services charge per download. Lack of competition, a strong customer base, and a strong hold on a service gives makes it easier for them to raise rates.

I hope BB starts offering streaming soon so they can compete with NF

DodgerKing said:
This is why they can raise the rates on streaming. They are pretty much the only one providing streaming at a monthly fee. The other streaming services charge per download. Lack of competition, a strong customer base, and a strong hold on a service gives makes it easier for them to raise rates.

I hope BB starts offering streaming soon so they can compete with NF

I would think that maybe one day you may see streaming with dish receivers?? Just a thought, but yes I would think for the public that does not have dish streaming would be a nice add

I do like the fact that with the blockbuster plan if you have one locally (we still do) you can do exchanges In store

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

I would think that maybe one day you may see streaming with dish receivers?? Just a thought, but yes I would think for the public that does not have dish streaming would be a nice add
I think we will as well. In fact I am sure of it after seeing the new data center that they are building in Cheyanne...

Amazon is also streaming to Prime members. Netflix is reportedly looking at a tenfold increase in streaming licensing costs comparing 2010 to 2012. I don't see physical media disappearing very soon. Netflix is actually investing even more money in the DVD side of the business. Many cannot get anything better than SD quality streaming from Netflix anyway. I'm in that group. This change benefits me as I'll be saving money by being able to drop streaming altogether.

I received an email from Blockbuster today telling me I can order a DVD, have it mailed to me, and return it by mail or store dropoff for $5.00. I don't see this as a deal at all.

I'm with Laddyboy. No more streaming for me, not that I ever used it much. HD streaming had so many artifacts, it looked worse than SD to my eye. SD streaming was unwatchable on a 42" TV due to blurriness.

I'm with Laddyboy. No more streaming for me, not that I ever used it much. HD streaming had so many artifacts, it looked worse than SD to my eye. SD streaming was unwatchable on a 42" TV due to blurriness.
sounds like u need a faster internet connection

Once the price increase comes in Sept I am dropping Streaming. I'll keep the DVD/Blu-Ray service. Netflix streaming is just about useless for me. It's all old stuff that I've seen or that's already on HBO/Starz/Epix and even HBO/Starz/Epix, gets them before Netflix streaming.

I'm going to drop streaming too. Nothing more frustrating than watching a blurry picture that stops and starts all of the time. As far as a faster internet connection, some of us don't have many choices. I know, its 2011 and its hard to imagine but its true. I'm stuck with AT&T "Fastaccess" DSL 6.0. For that I pay $42 / month. My only option for faster speed is Metrocast cable at 10 mbps download for $73 / month. Cost doesn't even take into account the numerous service outages I experienced with cable when I did have it making it notoriously unreliable. My neighbors confirm this is still true. I cut the cable a long time ago and I can't see paying another $31 per month for internet. Between cell phone, land line, E*, DSL, Netflix, Sirius/XM for the car, and the occasional video on demand rental (because Netflix can't ship me a new movide I want to watch without waiting six months or more), it's becoming crystal clear that I need to start cutting back somewhere in my communication and entertainment budget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts