Charlotte HD - 118.7 Question

rwjga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Asheville, NC
With the recent addition of the Charlotte HD networks on 118.7 I installed a Dish 1000+ dish and a switch 44. After peaking the signal on 118.7, transponder 21 and 8 the best signal readings I get are 78 on transponder 8 and 85 on transponder 21. However the signal will drop to the 50 range for a couple of seconds on a non regular basis. By viewing the Installation System screen (VIP 622) I see that I am losing signal sometimes as much as 70 times during a 12 hour period. The number of times the signal is lost will be different for turner 1 and tuner 2.

I have a clear path to the sky, no trees, and this happens in clear weather. If I am watching one of the HD stations, I will get a message saying it is signal lost, conneting to the satellite , 118 transponder 8 or 21. I will sometime go for hours without this happening, then it may occur every couple of minutes for a couple of hours.

Do I have something wrong with my installation. Is my signal level in line with what others or getting? Is anyone else having this problem?

The reception on 119, 110, and 129 are all without problems. The signal levels on 129 are mostly in the 60 - 70 range, but the reception is without problems except in heavy rain/snow.

Suggestions or comments?

With the recent addition of the Charlotte HD networks on 118.7 I installed a Dish 1000+ dish and a switch 44. After peaking the signal on 118.7, transponder 21 and 8 the best signal readings I get are 78 on transponder 8 and 85 on transponder 21. However the signal will drop to the 50 range for a couple of seconds on a non regular basis. By viewing the Installation System screen (VIP 622) I see that I am losing signal sometimes as much as 70 times during a 12 hour period. The number of times the signal is lost will be different for turner 1 and tuner 2.

I have a clear path to the sky, no trees, and this happens in clear weather. If I am watching one of the HD stations, I will get a message saying it is signal lost, conneting to the satellite , 118 transponder 8 or 21. I will sometime go for hours without this happening, then it may occur every couple of minutes for a couple of hours.

Do I have something wrong with my installation. Is my signal level in line with what others or getting? Is anyone else having this problem?

The reception on 119, 110, and 129 are all without problems. The signal levels on 129 are mostly in the 60 - 70 range, but the reception is without problems except in heavy rain/snow.

Suggestions or comments?
Ran into this the other day..First time ever I had a problem peaking the 118..What I do is peak the dish on the 119 bird..Then fine tune on 118.. Double check on 110 and 129....I went back on a trouble call and repeaked the dish and voila!..All was well...I moved the damn thing like an eighth of an inch.... It happens..Yer just going to have to take your time...

I seem to have found the problem. The amount of copper wire sticking out on the cable that went into the 118.7 LNB was normal but a buddy said to make it extra long. I did this and the signal seems to hold, or at least it has for the last 24 hours.

You are right, moving the dish an 1/8 inch makes a big difference in the signal level. No so with the other satellites for me, but the 118 has to be perfect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)