Charter, Cisco Unveil New Cloud-Based Cable-TV Service

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
Just a short time ago, while looking around on the internet, I found this article from Jan. 2015:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-cisco-said-to-unveil-cloud-cable-tv-service

It looks like Charter is getting serious about competing with the big boys!

Here is a quote from that above referenced article:

Charter Communications Inc. unveiled a cloud-based cable-television service backed by technology from Cisco Systems Inc., bolstering the company’s efforts to compete against much larger rivals.

The system is called Worldbox and will let Charter update the look and feel of its services regardless of the set-top box used by customers, the companies said. Charter Chief Executive Officer Tom Rutledge showed the initiative today at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas with John Chambers, CEO of Cisco, which is supplying data-center and networking equipment to Charter.
“Smart networks make dumb screens smart,” Rutledge said today at a CES presentation. “We can take any kind of device and make it a sophisticated device.”

By using cloud-computing technology to deliver software updates, Charter will be able to add features and content quickly, instead of sending technicians to install new machines in homes and businesses. The approach will let Charter compete more effectively with Comcast Corp. and other pay-TV companies by lowering costs and delivering new products to customers more efficiently, according to Craig Moffett, a founder of research firm MoffettNathanson LLC.

“Charter’s approach is much faster and much cheaper, because there’s no set-top boxes to install,” Moffett said in an interview. “Financially, it’s a transformative strategy.”

And here is just one more Link with a small photo of the Worldbox:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/technology/charter-unveils-its-worldbox/386685

Last edited:
Charter can't even figure out how to authorize a cable card for a Tivo, without spending hours and going through 15 people. Hard to believe they'll get this up and running properly anytime soon.

lmao, they announced something early last year and that never came to life...they are just blowing smokes again this year...and we probably won't see anything until 2020.

Reactions: mdavej
lmao, they announced something early last year and that never came to life...they are just blowing smokes again this year...and we probably won't see anything until 2020.

That is nearly identical to what I told the sales rep in an email. They really struggle to get it together tech. wise.

To which he replied that the "WorldBox," as they are calling the device is being rolled out in two states currently. Hmmm, he may be right. I found this from Dec. 2015:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ru...omentarily-full-deployment-may-tak/2015-12-07

A brief quote from that article, "Rutledge said Charter is still testing Worldbox in Reno and Dallas."

Last edited:
They will have to get something in place somewhat soon, if they do end up buying TWC and Brighthouse.

That is nearly identical to what I told the sales rep in an email. They really struggle to get it together tech. wise.

To which he replied that the "WorldBox," as they are calling the device is being rolled out in two states currently. Hmmm, he may be right. I found this from Dec. 2015:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ru...omentarily-full-deployment-may-tak/2015-12-07

A brief quote from that article, "Rutledge said Charter is still testing Worldbox in Reno and Dallas."

Lol, I'm in Reno and I haven't heard anything about the World Box...

Reactions: Spike
Lol, I'm in Reno and I haven't heard anything about the World Box...

Hahahahahahaha! That is way too funny. I'm so glad that I just went out and added another Tivo, rather than wait on a company that has a problem with reality. It's like I told the salesman that I emailed, 'Until I see this "WorldBox," it's VaporWARE!' Thanks for your post.

#TooFunny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts