Charter DVR Dual Tuner Versus Dish DVR

CRLivesay21

Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Tennessee
Ok, thought I would give Charter Cable a try since I already have internet through them. I also have Dish, but the prices went up on both and found if I went with cable I could save some money. Well I was told that the DVR is a dual tuner and that the activation of 2 TV outlets was included. I left some one else at home who knows nothing about this at all when it was hooked up. When I got home only one tv was hooked up and one controller left. And everyone I talk to at Charter tells me it can only work for a single TV now. On my dish I could control two different TVs. Why can I not do that with charter?

Some one please help before I go to the charter office this afternoon on my lunch and scream at someone!

Why can I not do that with charter?

Some one please help before I go to the charter office this afternoon on my lunch and scream at someone!
Cause they don't want you too. They designed it so you can't.
I would go yell at them and tell what they can do with that piece of junk.:rant:
That DVR is even worst then the D-TV HR's if you can believe that.:eek:

I had Dish for 11 years and always supplemented with Charter basic. About a year and a half ago, when Charter added HD up here, I upgraded to it but still kept Dish.

In my area anyway, the Charter PQ (both HD and their digital SD) was actually better than Dish but of course they didn't have as many HD channels and there was absolutely no comparison in DVRs, the 622 was hands down better than the Scientific Atlanta.

About 5 months ago I decided I couldn't justify keeping both so I really started comparing the two. In the time I had both Dish had raised and reorganized (not for the better either) their prices and really hadn't added many channels. On the other hand Charter had added a lot more HD and their prices were now not only lower than Dish but didn't require any commitment time.

So with the exception of the receiver, it made a lot more sense to switch to Charter and as yet we haven't regreted it. I did complain about the SA8300HD and they're replacing them each with Moxi, so hopefully that will help. If not, I may go the Tivo with cable card route.

Well it's been almost a month and still no Moxi boxes. According to tech, there's a waiting list for them and they'll call me if and when one becomes available. Sounds lame to me.

I asked her about cable cards for the Moxi, thinking I'd buy my own direct from Moxi through their 20 month payment plan (it's an even better unit, plus I'd own it) but my local Charter office still INSISTS they do not support the Moxi boxes and in fact they won't even work on their system.

Something is definitely fishy between the local office and the main Charter - it's like they're two competing companies or something.

4 months and counting and still no Moxi boxes. Heard somewhere that Charter discontinued them but they won't tell me that. SA has got to be the absolute worst HD DVR in creation!

Came time to renew my Charter subscription and they offered me a deal that would lock in the price for 2 years but also required a 2 year commitment. I told them I'd agree but only if they'd replace my 2 SA boxes with Moxis. They agreed but of course they showed up WITHOUT the moxi boxes.

Apparently the bottom line is that some areas of Charter WILL NOT allow you to use the Moxi HD DVR system.........PERIOD!! They did say they support Tivo though and I'm not familiar enough to understand why they'd support Tivo but not Moxi.

Problem with Tivo is although I'd probably gain a better box, I wouldn't save any money since Tivo requires $13 a month plus what ever Charter charges for their cable card would about equal the $15 I pay Charter for each SA box.

If I could somehow use one Tivo to replace the two SA boxes (serve two HDTVs) it might be worth it.

waltinvt, you are not missing too much by not having the Moxi dvr. I just switch from dish to charter with the moxi box, and it is horrible comparing to dish. It doesn't even have a grid channel guide. You have to scroll thru every channel 1 by 1 (no page up/down button) and select each one to see any future shows. If you want to see what is on USA HD tomorrow at 8pm, it will probably take 5 minutes to get there. And it is so loud. Everything about it is worst than the Dish DVR and not just by a little. I think the only advantage it has over Dish is that it got a clock in the front to tell time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)