Charter DVR

chrisr1984

Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
i have a charter digital cable box and would like to also get a dvr im looking at the dual tuner motorola DCT6412. whill this work and where can i by one. if any one has a beter dvr in mind let me know.

welcome to the site, glad you are here and hope you will call us home.

will your cable company let you own your own equipment? most cable companies will lease the equipment. if the dct6412 is used by charter, then it should work. i would call them up and see if they have any specials and to see if that is what they are using in your area.

what area are you in? there might be another member in your same area that can give you a little advice.

I looked on charters web site and it sayed that you can own your own device they just wont supoted any problems. i live it two rivers wi. i just dont like paying renal fees that why i bought my own cable modem and it works just fine

Question About Charter New DVR

Hi all. I am new here and glad to see a sight like this. Thanks to all. Anyway, Last Friday, I had my DVR's installed at my home from Charter. I live in NC. A little background on what I have. I have all available channels from Charter, including their HD services. I had a HD box from charter that I was running via the HDMI to DVI connection on my HD TV. When they installed my DVR's they told me the DVI connection on the box was Disabled due to court dispute. Motorola BMC9012 with Moxi, is the model I have. I do not understand why there is a dispute with the DVI connection on the DVR, and not on the Standard HD Box. On this Moxi box (as they call them) you cant even turn the power off on it. I was told there was a secondary menu on this box hidden from typical consumers. Does anyone know how to access this?

Second question on the HD channels, any idea when Charter is going to catch up with Time Warner and add the other HD channels like TNT HD, and Discovery HD?

Thanks for any info you might give.

Richie

welcome to the site. hope you enjoy yourself here.

hopefully someone that has your cable box will be able to give you the answer for the hidden menus. when i get home from work today, i will check a few sites to see if i can get you an answer. (i have them booked marked at home).

Thank you

Thank you much. And by the way Go Gordon... Nice to see another Gordon fan and not afraid to admit it. LOL

The court dispute I heard was concerning the ability to record and save material that certain people dont want you to. Movie studios stand to lose a bunch of money from sales if we can simply record a movie from a movie channel and burn it to a cd. I heard thats why the coax port was not enabled when the boxes first came out because Charter might be held liable. As for the menu, there is nothing that can be changed. It simply shows your name and address, and technical settings inside the box. Nothing that great.

I find that a funny thought process since you can do this dvd burning with almost any of the satellites DVR products... Just a matter of taking one of their 2nd outputs and running it to a dvd recorder.... and it doesn't use the dvi/hdmi output. So i am not for sure if that is the reason they are really blocked on the moxi... but that is my 2 cents worth.

Thats my opinion too. Why the big deal when you can already do it on the Satelite. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But Thanks for the info.

I agree, it doesnt make much sense. Thats just what I heard thru the grapevine. I was also told another theory that dealt with picture quality going thru the coax output on the earlier dvr boxes. Something about the conversion process inside the box causing the analog channels to be real grainy. New software updates combined with digital conversion to most channels, has fixed most of these problems. I am still waiting for the DVI port to be active, if anybody knows more please let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)