charter hd picture quality

jeffdan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
hi there just thought i would put my 2 cents in. i had dish network for the last 8 years. subsribed to hd from the 1st day it was offered. so far the pic quality compared to dish is surprisingly good. i hail from Osage Beach, MO. anyone know if there are any new channels coming to hd in or around the area/

Charter rep told me they are going to have about 80 - 100 hd channels this year, that being said I found the hd quality the lowest I've seen out of all the providers that I've seen so far with the only good quality being on hdnet and discovery theater. I've since cancelled hd service with charter and only have regular digital.

I have DirecTV, I had charter for 5+ years, I had enough of them, lame ass company, where DTV takes 1 month to add 40+ HD channels it would take charter 2+ years to accomplish half of that.
I only have Telephone and Internet with them, nothing else.

sorry to here about you problems with pic quality. it must depend on the area you live in. as i stated, miy picture quality is awesome. it blows my former dish network hd out of the water. no high speed pixel problems. i did have the 725 reciever. with charter, i have the moxi dvr. my locals in hd never looked better. all other hd channels are slightly better. as for the channel line up, dish has voom. big deal. i never wathced those channels. direct tv has the leading edge over almost everyone, but i don't mind waiting. as long as the channels i have deliver a more true hd experience.

sorry to here about you problems with pic quality. it must depend on the area you live in.

jeffdan,
I think you've hit that nail on the head. There is apparently a huge difference between services offered, service quality, etc. between the different Charter regions.
I have been with Charter for sometime now and have always had at least good PQ. Now, I really don't think my HD channels could be any better. I used to be with DirecTv and I honestly think their is less compression with my Charter cable. I know that D* has gone through some serious changes recently but I don't think I could improve on the HD PQ. They are about to go Simultrans throughout Michigan and I think that will take care of the "all digital" issue, for us anyway.
Yeah, it's going to take awhile to catch up in sheer HD channel numbers, but once SDV is the norm, that should pretty much take care of that issue. I live in an area where heavy rain and snow storms really started to interfere with my viewing and I don't miss that hassle. Now that they are offering HD OnDemand in my area, cable is getting better all the time!

KAP

I hail from a small south-central Indiana Town (Nashville) and Charter was the provider here for a good number of years. I had subscribed to their service from about 1994-1996 or so. Was very unsatisfied with their offering and switched to DirecTV.

The service in this area from Charter was the most basic you've ever seen. No digital, let alone HD, and no plans to add anything. If you called their service center, they did not even know whether our area had digital or not. Seriously, you had to tell them.

Recently, Charter sold the local service to Avenue Broadband. I'm hoping they will make a number of changes to the service levels. They say they have plans to do a number of things, so we will see.

I have become more dis-satisfied with D recently due to their price increases, and "add-on" prices. My total choice package is going up to 52.99 a month, while Avenue Broadband expanded basic is 37.00 per month.

I'm certainly going to keep an eye open to what Avenue does in this area.

Like I said, there is a huge difference between the different Charter regions. Where I work in Cheboygan, MI only 35 miles from my house, they have no digital cable, no HSI, no HD, no VOIP telephony, no VOD and no idea when any of this might be available. I on the other hand have all the services, which keep expanding and couldn't be happier. Let us know what happens with Avenue Broadband. I hope it works out for you.

Doc

That is odd that Cheboygan does not have Digital, HSI. I can understand no VOD as that was just added here a couple of months ago.

As for picture quallity, unfortunately cable companies vary greatly by region. As for me, I am happy with my quality here. Equivelent to Dish when I dropped them to go back to charter, It was a locals "wife" issue here to go back.

That is odd that Cheboygan does not have Digital, HSI.

I believe it is an issue of an old infra-structure. I think they are going to have to replace all the old cable, etc. before they can handle digital and all of the wonderful things its brings with it.

I used to be with DirecTV and I switched back to Charter TV once they offered HD in my neighborhood. I had always maintained the basic cable for locals but once HD was available a few years ago, I dumped the dish, a second phone line, went with HSI, digital cabletv and now have Charter Telephone as well . I really couldn't be happier with my service.

I have to admit that I am somewhat jealous of all of those HD channels that D* now offers but I am happy to see that Charter keeps expanding their offerings in my region.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)