Charter internet

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I've been using their 30 Mb service for 6 months and it seems to be working as promised. The download rate actually gets above 40 Mb at times but is usually between 30 and 35 Mb. So far I'm satisfied with the service but I'm not happy about the cost increase after 6 months. If I can find a better price on the modem I'll stop renting it ($7/month) and buy a modem. The SB6121 modem costs about $85.

Charter is no longer supposed to be charging for modem rental, it should be rolled into the monthly cost along with this new accounts are required to use Charter supplied modems. If you are still seeing it on your bill I would contact them, I have had great results with the online team on dslreports or the AVS forums.

Last edited:
my charter internet bill just when from 34.99 to 48.99. I have been paying the 34.99 for over 4 years and they are claiming I was in a promo that ended. 4 year promo? Canceling and going with my local phone company. They have less speed but a much lower rate at 19.99. Does charter call and offer better rates after one has canceled? I don't want to change but the price jump is just to high.

Thanks

my charter internet bill just when from 34.99 to 48.99. I have been paying the 34.99 for over 4 years and they are claiming I was in a promo that ended. 4 year promo? Canceling and going with my local phone company. They have less speed but a much lower rate at 19.99. Does charter call and offer better rates after one has canceled? I don't want to change but the price jump is just to high.

Thanks

The only thing you can try is to contact retention.49.99 is the standard price for 30/4 service.We currently pay 39.99,that's a promotional price for the 30/4.

I am also at a promotional rate ($29.99) that at the end of 3 years will be at the standard $49.99, but I'm OK with that because Earthlink is $39.99 for 3.0 MB and similar rate from other providers for even worse 1.5MB, so with my more demanding needs, it isn't bad to pay $10 per month for a much superior experience at 30/4 after the 3 year promotion ends. It has been very reliable and GREAT for streaming, especially some HD. The industry just has to get rid of data caps. However, I don't think I'll ever go back to Charter TV. It was an awful experience. Very happy with Dish and the Hopper.

Anyone with Internet-only service find that they can get some (local) TV channels too if connect a TV to the same cable? We'll be getting Dish for TV in our new house, but will be adding Charter Internet & Phone to the house a few months before actually fully moving in (making mulitple trips over time).

Anyone with Internet-only service find that they can get some (local) TV channels too if connect a TV to the same cable? We'll be getting Dish for TV in our new house, but will be adding Charter Internet & Phone to the house a few months before actually fully moving in (making mulitple trips over time).

Oh yea,get about 37 channels in my area.Most are still analog,all are sd only but,it's still a nice perk with the internet.

Yes, but your tv set has to have a QAM tuner in it (not all do), as the channels are unencrypted QAM. Over the air channels are ATSC, which is what is the regular tuner in tv's.

Oh yea,get about 37 channels in my area.Most are still analog,all are sd only but,it's still a nice perk with the internet.

Yes, but your tv set has to have a QAM tuner in it (not all do), as the channels are unencrypted QAM. Over the air channels are ATSC, which is what is the regular tuner in tv's.

Thanks!! :)

Parents closed on their new house in Michigan last week and we had Charter install Internet & Phone. They wont actually be moving in for a few months and will be getting Dish for TV. When I first added the coax-splitter and connected the TV, I thought we were SOL as the TV said 'No Signal'. But, after I ran the channel search I was thrilled to find that it found 26 digital channels. At least half were useless channels (religious, merchandise, and C-Span stations), but we got all the locals, as well as GSN and ION. Thanks for the tips in the above discussion, guys! The only drawback was having to sit thru commercials and not being able to buffer alternate tuners. ;-)

Yes, Charter is keeping up on the "lifeline" stuff for the moment. I hope they don't encrypt it anytime soon. It's a good backup, comes free with internet only accounts, and could even be a good part of a setup with a Roku, or WDTVLIVE with Playon server running on a pc.

I wish Cox would allow the locals in hd with internet only service. They don't, not in my town anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)