Charter STINKS, what are my options!

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I have had Charter now for about 6 months. Beware of their so called deals. I was told that I would get everything they had for $80/month for a year. Well after 3 months they kicked me up to full price. Of course I complained, and they knocked $20 off my bill. Reception sucks, the DVR keeps rebooting on its own, and the Customer Service stinks.

Should I switch to dish or directv? I live in Keller, TX. but FIOS is not available in my neighborhood. It is 2 blocks away but not at my house!!!!!

I have D* and I love it. However, if you go to the DIRECTV HD forum discussions you will find a lot of info about what is at stake later this year with upgrades to MPEG-4 technology. This will affect HD channels that are currently being broadcasted in MPEG-2. I hear that they will force people to get new receivers if they want to see HD channels but I do not know when they will drop them. All other channels that D* provides I believe are unaffected.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64942

I am going to wait until all these new receivers are on the market before I make a decision about upgrading. The main thing I am worried about is the upfront cost and the penalty for cancelling your sub. I also have read that the H10-250 has some issues like a slow interface.

I thought FiOS was available city-wide in Keller. Anyway, I agree with your opinion of Charter. How long do you have to wait to talk to CSR? With all the new players in town I think they are in trouble. I have had dish network and I really liked them.......and I like them more now that they have got on the HD bandwagon. Direct TV also offers some compelling options. Either seems better then Charter.

I used to work for Charter, Customer Service Supervisor, I wont give you any excuses, about the service other than the supply out weighs the demand, and this is what causes the problems, due to this, Charter has high turn over on thier reps, due to it being a rough job.
I experienced the same thing when I left, I had to call and correct my acct, and had to walk the CSR through doing it.
Now I am working for another cable service, and it is the same thing, supply out weighs the demands, bandwidth and poor plants, so many trouble calls, the techs cannot possibly get to all of them in a day let alone on time.

Satellite is the same way.. It is a rough buisness all the way around

charter cable

I just moved from mn to wis last week and until i find a way to get my dish up my wife got charter for cable. Only problem at our apt there was 1 cable outlet to have. So we only have1 cable box,until the owners of the apt give a written letter to charter to have 2 more installed. I will have install my dish with some help,because if i have dish mover do it i will looose my locals from mn. I don't want to miss the vikings. I'm not a packers fan. Is that true you will loose your locals if you have dish mover? Besides charter does not have any channels my family i also enjoy:fox reality,boomerang,nfl network,nba tv,cstv.

JivinGene said:
I used to work for Charter, Customer Service Supervisor, I wont give you any excuses, about the service other than the supply out weighs the demand, and this is what causes the problems, due to this, Charter has high turn over on thier reps, due to it being a rough job.
I experienced the same thing when I left, I had to call and correct my acct, and had to walk the CSR through doing it.
Now I am working for another cable service, and it is the same thing, supply out weighs the demands, bandwidth and poor plants, so many trouble calls, the techs cannot possibly get to all of them in a day let alone on time.

Satellite is the same way.. It is a rough buisness all the way around

I would say Charter is far worse than D*, as I have not had Dish, While they are not perfect their CS is better and the product FAR outweighs Charters offering. They don't even have DVI that work on their "HD"boxes lol

jlvideo said:
I just moved from mn to wis last week and until i find a way to get my dish up my wife got charter for cable. Only problem at our apt there was 1 cable outlet to have. So we only have1 cable box,until the owners of the apt give a written letter to charter to have 2 more installed. I will have install my dish with some help,because if i have dish mover do it i will looose my locals from mn. I don't want to miss the vikings. I'm not a packers fan. Is that true you will loose your locals if you have dish mover? Besides charter does not have any channels my family i also enjoy:fox reality,boomerang,nfl network,nba tv,cstv.

It is true you will lose it. You should be able to have a local sat company install and locate the sats for you. I did this for about $70 in the Madison area. then I just hooked up the box. I would not call D* to do this. Simply call a local company and tell them you can not find a signal due to strong winds and have them refind it.

gl and go Packers :D

charter cable

How does this work as i fear i will loose my locals back from minn. I don't know if a local sat dealer will do this.I was told from local dealer back home that it won't work if they install the dish and i will loose my locals and get milwaukee tv locals. Where did you move from to keep locals?

charter cable

What if i use another address to get the locals. Iknow many people on the boards do this. So i know it's not ethical but it can done. I like many others do this so they can out of area news or sports(like their fav teams),ie: Vikings,Wild,Twins.

jlvideo said:
What if i use another address to get the locals. Iknow many people on the boards do this. So i know it's not ethical but it can done. I like many others do this so they can out of area news or sports(like their fav teams),ie: Vikings,Wild,Twins.

see Iceberg's answer above and look at the link he provided to get your answer. You need to be inside the spot beam which covers the Minneapolis market.

jlvideo said:

It has nothing to do with the address. The spotbeam (I posted the links above) only work in MN. Transponder 4, which has Mpls locals is also used for Milwaukee. So you see Milwaukee and I see Mpls :)

TP12 has Duluth locals and there isnt anything on TP12 in Milwaukee. But due to the spotbeams you would get a zero signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)