Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I just found an answer to why I couldn't get in the chat room last month.

I am running Vista and Sun JRE 1.6, and the chatroom application was hanging at the "Loading" progress bar. This is what it took to make it work for me.

Right click Command Prompt, run as administrator. Enter this command.
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Source: http://forums.addoninteractive.com/showthread.php?t=3275

ha ha. of course you have to "allow" the administrator action you just told it you want to do, "cancel" would get you nowhere. :)

Hmm strange I am running Vista and have never had to do that.

BTW tonight chat should be available to ALL, I paid our chat folks extra to give us access to their chat service which works through any firewall. :)

Thank you for posting this fix. I am now able to get into the chat room again. This chat the wife wont be mad at me for using her laptop.

I just found an answer to why I couldn't get in the chat room last month.

I am running Vista and Sun JRE 1.6, and the chatroom application was hanging at the "Loading" progress bar. This is what it took to make it work for me.

Right click Command Prompt, run as administrator. Enter this command.
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Source: http://forums.addoninteractive.com/showthread.php?t=3275

My Vista fix was an XP CD in the drive at boot-up ;)

Thanks for the tip Pepper.

Glad I could help.

Now if somebody could tell me why the thread titles in the forum list are all centered and none of the javascript menus (New Posts...) exist.

yeah, dozens of times, this is a recurring issue for every XP, 2003 or vista on my corporate network, for as long as I can remember. Works fine at home. I have compared IE settings and domain policies till my eyes bleed, I can't find what's doing it.

There's a specific block of code I can capture from "view source" on the home machines, that just "isn't there" on the work machines. The stuff that builds the javascript menus mainly. It seems the very act of joining the domain is what breaks it. I can build a new machine from scratch and everything works correctly; join it to the domain and it breaks. Even with default domain policy turned off so nothing is being changed.

I've attached the "missing html" in case by looking at it anybody might have an idea what combination of settings could cause it to be omitted. This code block appears right after the following:
Member Map (NEW!)</a></td>

Attachments

• satguys - missing html.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
It also helps to do a clean install. The only way to do it with the upgrade disk is to install twice the first time without putting in an activation key when prompted. When the first install is complete just reinstall the upgrade using the key the second time. It's that easy and in my opinion that stupid ( but thats microsoft for ya).

Email is back online. :)

The code above it from a javascript, perhaps your work does not let you run javascripts when your logged in to their domain.

The way I have done a clean install with an upgrade disk, is to start the upgrade disk from scratch. At some point, it will ask for the previous software disk, since it can't find it. Remove the upgrade disk, insert the old software disk. In a few moments, the software asks you to remove the old disk and reinsert the new. From that point on, the upgrade disk will act like a complete version of the software, and not an upgrade.

Don H.

I'm getting about ready to do that myself.

Had a friend with a brand new PC from Best Buy with Vista. We were going through the normal deal of installing all the bloatware sitting on the PC. It was sooooo slow during every reboot. I don't remember the PC specs but it was your average specs, not the bottom of the line. I finally gave up, popped in the XP CD and reloaded it. Even the friend of mine said "Wow! This is faster! This thing is smokin'!"

Vista is just ahead of its time right now....

Thanks Pepper. I haven' t been the chat for a while since I've using the beta version of Vista since it was release last summer. Now it looks like I can get back into the chat room.

Had a friend with a brand new PC from Best Buy with Vista. We were going through the normal deal of installing all the bloatware sitting on the PC. It was sooooo slow during every reboot. I don't remember the PC specs but it was your average specs, not the bottom of the line. I finally gave up, popped in the XP CD and reloaded it. Even the friend of mine said "Wow! This is faster! This thing is smokin'!"

Vista is just ahead of its time right now....

Yep my slow it get's hung up shutting down sometimes, and I have to force shut down it runs slow, and I have a core 2. Vista is not impressive at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)