Cheap 10 inch tablet

tiemyshew

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
waupun,wi
Wondering if others had success using a no name brand 10 inch tablet to use the dish anywhere app. Thinking of getting a tablet instead of getting an additional Joey. I see on Amazon some are under $100.

No name tablets can be scary. I would avoid Intel based tablets as I believe the Dish Anywhere app is only compatible with arm based devices.

The Samsung galaxy tablets are pretty affordable though and should be compatible. $150 new for those.

Maybe the galaxy tab 2 will work

I had that model once, never used that specific app on it but it was a great little budget tablet.
Worked with every app I threw at it, including netflix/hulu which don't work on some cheaper tablets.

I would get the Galaxy tab 2, I'd still have mine if it were up to me.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 that's a few years old and it works quite well with DA. Also, an older IPad that works great. Just recently, I purchased a "no name" 10" 3G tablet from Amazon which also works fine. Bottom line is that I've had a number of 10" tablets over the years and so far, I haven't found one that doesn't work well with DA (as well as DA ever works, anyway).

Wondering if others had success using a no name brand 10 inch tablet to use the dish anywhere app. Thinking of getting a tablet instead of getting an additional Joey. I see on Amazon some are under $100.
There are some limitations with DishAnywhere/sling:

Control is S L O W. Everything you do to change playback takes many seconds.

You tie up the second decoder in the Hopper which is used for PIP/Multiview.

The App, especially the one on a computer, has bugs that prevent proper sync with the receiver so guide times are off and the recorded program list is often incorrect. There are also times when you can't connect to the receiver even though there is a network connection.

I can't remember if you get Dolby Digital audio or if it's just stereo.

If you are going to be viewing the programming on a TV or large display, make sure tablet can drive the display and the resolution is sufficient.

I'm very happy with my 10" Insignia tablet from Best Buy. I think they're under $100 now too. Downloaded about 10 hours of shows to take to the lake with me last week. No internet there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I just ordered one for that reason canceling now. #SUcks
Actually they do work with Dish Anywhere apps: on all THREE of my various geneartions and models of Fire Tablets, including one from 2013. Fire Tablets support both Dish Anywhere and Slingbox. In fact both apps work excellent on the tablets. Both apps are at the Amazon App store and are labled as being for Amazon Fire. Also, the Amazon Fire TV (Amazon's Roku-like box) can run the Sling Player app connected to any TV. It works very well.

BTW, Fire 10 is a very good inexpesive tablet if one wants a big screen and good specs. While the no longer manufactered (AFAIK) HDX models has supreme pixel density and color accuracy that displays high quality video in all it gorgeous nuances (at least as good as the more expensive tablets like Samsung, etc.), the Fire 10's lower pixel density and slightly lower color accuracy/reproduction still makes for a very good big screen value that's easy to read and works with both Sling(box) Player app and Dish Anywhere. It also makes a great Senior Citizen tablet (easy to read) with voice dictation for emails and searches, etc. The Fire tablets offer the best value with very good specs. and performance. However, Fire Tablet is a forked Android so not all android apps will load on it, but the most important ones do. However, depending on one's usage, it is wise to have at least ONE full Android tablet for some less popular but useful apps one might need. I've got to say that I just don't use my full Android tablet that much anymore. I'm 98% on my Fire's.

FWIW, if you don't like Amazon's Silk for web browsing (just as invasive as Chrome), Firefox can be loaded as apk file. While Firefox provides the most privacy, I use it along with extensions for enhanced privacy, ad blocking, reduced tracking, blocking 3rd party sites, and cookie killing, etc. :).

Last edited:
I have a $40 Fire that I bought as a temporary tablet until the new 4G LTE models come out in another month or so. I hate the device as a tablet, but it works FINE with Dish Anywhere.

Last edited:
Just an update......i found a rca 11 maven pro on clearance at my local walmart for $45. yes $45! It runs the dish anywhere app with no problems so far.

Actually they do work with Dish Anywhere apps: on all THREE of my various geneartions and models of Fire Tablets, including one from 2013. Fire Tablets support both Dish Anywhere and Slingbox. In fact both apps work excellent on the tablets. Both apps are at the Amazon App store and are labled as being for Amazon Fire. Also, the Amazon Fire TV (Amazon's Roku-like box) can run the Sling Player app connected to any TV. It works very well.

BTW, Fire 10 is a very good inexpesive tablet if one wants a big screen and good specs. While the no longer manufactered (AFAIK) HDX models has supreme pixel density and color accuracy that displays high quality video in all it gorgeous nuances (at least as good as the more expensive tablets like Samsung, etc.), the Fire 10's lower pixel density and slightly lower color accuracy/reproduction still makes for a very good big screen value that's easy to read and works with both Sling(box) Player app and Dish Anywhere. It also makes a great Senior Citizen tablet (easy to read) with voice dictation for emails and searches, etc. The Fire tablets offer the best value with very good specs. and performance. However, Fire Tablet is a forked Android so not all android apps will load on it, but the most important ones do. However, depending on one's usage, it is wise to have at least ONE full Android tablet for some less popular but useful apps one might need. I've got to say that I just don't use my full Android tablet that much anymore. I'm 98% on my Fire's.

FWIW, if you don't like Amazon's Silk for web browsing (just as invasive as Chrome), Firefox can be loaded as apk file. While Firefox provides the most privacy, I use it along with extensions for enhanced privacy, ad blocking, reduced tracking, blocking 3rd party sites, and cookie killing, etc. :).

AFAIK the DishAnywhere app is not officially supported on fireTV (I've seen discussion of sideloading and needing to use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard to emulate a touchscreen.. tho it doesn't sound all that palatable)

DA is supported on the tablets.. not sure if one can then mirror the tablet to a FireTV box/stick... if so, one could argue the tablet would pay for itself after cost/$7 months.

As customers we'd all love this to work. Dish would hate it, as you could effectively drop a Joey from your acct and they'd no longer be collecting rental fees for it long after the actual cost has been paid off.

AFAIK the DishAnywhere app is not officially supported on fireTV (I've seen discussion of sideloading and needing to use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard to emulate a touchscreen.. tho it doesn't sound all that palatable)

DA is supported on the tablets.. not sure if one can then mirror the tablet to a FireTV box/stick... if so, one could argue the tablet would pay for itself after cost/$7 months.

As customers we'd all love this to work. Dish would hate it, as you could effectively drop a Joey from your acct and they'd no longer be collecting rental fees for it long after the actual cost has been paid off.
You are correct about Dish Anywhere not being officially supported on Fire TV, but I don't think I stated that. Just in case there may be a misunderstanding, I stated the following:
"Also, the Amazon Fire TV (Amazon's Roku-like box) can run the Sling Player app connected to any TV. It works very well."

If my poor writing skills made it seem as if Dish Anywhere can be viewed or is officially supported on the Fire TV, I do apologize. Once again, the Sling Player app (for Slingbox) on the Fire TV is officially supported and is available at Amazons App store.

BTW, using the Fire TV Sling Player app is a little easier to deal with than the Roku method of having to initiate things with a mobile device, and then cast it (really making an internet connection between the Roku and the Slingbox) to the Roku. All control function must be done using the mobile device, but you can use the mobile device for other things during the streaming and one can even put the mobile device to sleep and the stream continues. I don't think the Roku's have the horsepower for the Sling Player app that the Fire TV does (while the Roku 4K version might have the HP, it does not offer the Sling Player app, AFAIK) .

Further, if one uses the Roku for viewing within one's LAN, the stupid process seems to first cast the stream from the Slingbox UP and OUT to the public internet and then BACK DOWN from the public internet where it is then routed to the Roku. This can result, in situations where ISP's provide modest upstream speed (say about 4Mbps), a somewhat degraded PQ because it is limited to one's upstream speed, but give the Sling Media tech time to make the most of the slow upstream and the PQ improves to "adequate." However, the Sling App (as experienced on Fire TV or WD TV) streams completely within the LAN for full HD 1080 resolution at highest bit rate resulting in PQ as if one were viewing at the source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts