cheap package

rjad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
A friend moved to a house that already has a dish hookup (dpp twin?) from a previous owner. He recently saw a cheap 322 receiver and bought it from a garage sale. Now he's asking what's the cheapest program he can get from dish. I thought it's the 5.99 local only but want to confirm with you all. Also, he doesn't have a landline. Is a phone connection required for a local only package? Since there is no equipment purchase or lease from dish, I guess no long term equipment is required?

if he owns the equipment, he can get just locals for 11.99 (5.99 + 6.00 BS fee for not having a package). There would also be a $5 "no phone line" fee since its a 322 (they have 2 tuners in them)

as for the term, that I don't know

rjad said:
A friend moved to a house that already has a dish hookup (dpp twin?) from a previous owner. He recently saw a cheap 322 receiver and bought it from a garage sale. Now he's asking what's the cheapest program he can get from dish. I thought it's the 5.99 local only but want to confirm with you all. Also, he doesn't have a landline. Is a phone connection required for a local only package? Since there is no equipment purchase or lease from dish, I guess no long term equipment is required?
First thing is call DISH Network and give them the R00 & S00 numbers from the 322 and find out if the receiver was leased. If it was a leased receiver DISH owns it and it must be returned to them. He also needs to check and see if there is an outstanding balance owed on the receiver if it is not leased, that balance must be payed before DISH will authorize it on a new account. As Ice has stated there will be a $5 fee for no phone attached on a dual tuner receiver and there is a $6 fee for not having a "minimum qualifying package" The Family Pak at $19.99 is probably the best buy because it is a qualifying package and will provide some worthwhile programming. The $5 second tuner fee would still apply.:)

Iceberg said:
if he owns the equipment, he can get just locals for 11.99 (5.99 + 6.00 BS fee for not having a package). There would also be a $5 "no phone line" fee since its a 322 (they have 2 tuners in them)

as for the term, that I don't know

Wow, 16.99. Looks like dish solution is not always the cheapest.
I will ask him just to stay with his comcast $13.99 local package, with unlimited tuners/TVs, and give me his 322 :)

boba said:
First thing is call DISH Network and give them the R00 & S00 numbers from the 322 and find out if the receiver was leased. If it was a leased receiver DISH owns it and it must be returned to them. He also needs to check and see if there is an outstanding balance owed on the receiver if it is not leased, that balance must be payed before DISH will authorize it on a new account.

I will suggest him staying with comcast anyway. As for the receiver, if he gives it to me, I will definitely check. If he sells it to others, it will be the buyers responsibility I guess.