Cheapest device that runs XBMC and plugs into tv HDMI port?

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Guys, what's the cheapest device I can get and load XBMC on to use on my tv set? It must also be able to accept and run XBMC add-ons that I can install myself. Not including just a regular laptop or desktop computer that is.

Preferably something small, with a remote control, hopefully around $75~ or so, and doesn't need support from a pc via using Playon server or the like.

In other words, it must be completely standalone, and should plug directly into an HDMI port on my tv set. It must also be reasonably stable, and usable by a wife that's severely technically challenged.

I know there's various android devices out there, but I don't want to buy any junk, or something that's needs to be baby-sat constantly to keep running.

Thanks!

Used apple tv 1st gen? I wasn't real impressed with xbmc in general after trying it on an apple tv and a htpc. I went with a roku for netflix and plex. Plex on the roku has a lot of the content I was looking for. You do need a pc to be the server but you can do all the controlling on the roku once your channels are setup on your pc.

I just installed XBMC on my new Amazon Fire TV and it works great. You don't have to jailbreak like Apple TV. I would recommend a USB keyboard and mouse, but it works fine without it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Some of the android sticks can run XBMC, such as:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOL1BO0/?tag=satell01-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZR1TG2/?tag=satell01-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECBY5VS/?tag=satell01-20

Raspberry Pi (35.00 + power supply ($12) + SD Card ($?) + case ($15) + USB Keyboard/mouse ($?) = $80 to $90. There are other boards out there too. Raspberry Pi is CEC-USB compatible and your TV is CEC-USB compatible, you can use your TV remote to traverse the menus. However, if XBMC freezes (due to incompatible channel or other issues), you either have to unplug and re-plug the device or ssh into it via PC and reboot.

I'm leaning towards the Fire Tv unit so far, provided Amazon doesn't slam the door shut on it being used for XBMC.

I'm in no hurry, let the hackers hack on it a bit longer...

Last edited:
You can buy a Raspberry Pi from eBay all set to plug in and run from $80.00. If you want to set it all up your self you might be able to get all the pieces parts a bit cheaper. There are a couple of different software builds Do your research and pick the one you like. I'm using Openelec. There are plenty of forums and wiki articles. Lots of YouTube how too's as well just search XBMC.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

I like Openelec on the RPi so far, what little I have used it.

I'm currently using XBMC on 2 Windows 8 laptops, 1 Ubuntu Netbook, 2 Android tablets, 4 Raspberry Pi's, 1 OUYA, 1 MINIX Neo X7 and 1 CS918S OTT device. The Raspberry Pi is my favorite for best HD video performance and OUYA, CS918S for speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts