Cheapest method for converting from legacy to SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

charlie460

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
N/A
Right now I have a Slimline-3 Dish with a non-SWM LNB. I am thinking about possibly getting an HR34 and/or adding another reciever, so I want to know what I will need to convert my legacy setup to a SWM setup.

Would someone mind detailing the equipment that I'd need to buy in order to do this? Am I correct in thinking that all I need is a SWM LNB, power inserter, and splitters? Right now I have MRV set up with Ethernet run to each reciever. Do I need DirecTV's bridge device to allow SWM devices to connect to the internet over the coax, or will one reciever being connected via Ethernet be able to bridge that internet connection to all other SWM devices?

Thanks guys (and yes, I would rather do this myself than have DirecTV out to do it.)

You need the power inserter 21v and a power passing switch. Depending on how many tuners you have you might need a bigger switch.

Make sure your coax is rg6.

Hook the swm lnb up, hook the power inserter, using an ASL or a power passing switch to point the dish.

I forgot to mention, once its hooked up that way, it will allow MRV to go through the coax. You would not need to have them all hooked up to Ethernet.

The only receiver you need hooked up to the internet is the hddvr

Hello charlie460,

I do not know if this is the cheapest as you might get a deal from DirecTV. I had a legacy Slimline 5 dish with 4 outputs to a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch which was used to distribute coax to my receivers and DVR's. I purchased a SWM16 multiswitch with 29v power supply. I suggest DECA as it is supported instead of ethernet which is unsupported and you need to get DTV to turn it on. There is an email procedure for this but I do not know exactly how to do this but you can search for it. I would suggest a Cinema connection kit (comes as a wired or wireless unit) as you will more than likely have less problems with it then the ethernet cable to the HR34. Yes you need splitters (green label). Pick up 1 additional splitter of each type you need as spare units (cheap insurance). They come either 1x2, 1x4 or 1x8 (1 input to 2, 4 or 8 outputs). It is best to use the least amount of outputs necessary per port. Terminate any unused outputs on any splitter with a 75 ohm terminator. I plugged my 29v power supply into the middle position between the 2 ports (technically a SWM16 is 2 SWM8's with an internal crossover which goes to ports 1 and 2). If done properly this legacy configuration of a slimline 3 or 5 seems to work with less problems than most of the others from what I have read. If you have only 1 cable coming down from the satellite dish you can either change it at the dish for a legacy unit or using splitters to distribute to the dvr's/ receivers. Since I have not used this configuration I am not 100% certain but it is my belief that this will work. You can ask others who have done this configuration for their input. In this case the power passing port (#1 red dot) has the 29v power inserter connected to it. Wherever the power inserter is plugged into port 2 - 8 it will not pass the 29v and you will not power up the dish for SWM. Generally speaking if you are ready to power up the system the general order is power up the power inserter. Next power up the unit (dvr/receiver) furthest from the dish. Redo the Satellite Setup. Make sure it works before moving on the the next unit. Repeat until all units are working. There is a limit of 8 tuners per port on a SWM16 and only 8 on a SWM8. Best of luck when you update to the SWM configuration.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts