Cheapest option

Mr_Flintstone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
KY
My cousin wants to switch from cable to satellite. He says that all he wants is locals, the Hallmark channels, and a news channel.

My first thought was the Welcome Pack with the Heartland package, but I don't even know if the Welcome pack qualifies for add-on packages. May have to go with Smart Pack or Flex Pack.

Do either of these three qualify for free installation?

I've not checked prices since my parents switched to Dish a few years ago. What would be the best (cheapest including installation) package for what they want?

I believe Welcome package is no longer available as a starter package, "BUT" you can start with a higher package then reduce the next day to a Welcome package. just have to use DISH'S systems a good CSR should be able to work with you to satisfy the family needs.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
How ironic. Not using the “Welcome” pkg to welcome new customers.

What happened to set the hook gently, and reel them in slowly to a higher pkg?

Perhaps an antenna, a subscription to Hallmark Movies Anywhere or whatever their streaming service is called, and a web browser to read the news.

Perhaps an antenna, a subscription to Hallmark Movies Anywhere or whatever their streaming service is called, and a web browser to read the news.

An antenna is not an option in our area. We can only pick up one channel (at best). They don't currently have Internet, so when you combine the price of Internet service (only one ISP in our area) with that of a streaming package, it's more than they are paying for cable.

From what I've read the past couple days, if they take the Flex Pack or higher with the 2-year price guarantee, they have to keep that package (or higher) until the special offer is up, or they'll have to pay a penalty.

When I went to MyDish and checked the packages, the Smart Pack and Welcome pack include Locals, so the additional cost should only be $7 for a second tuner (they don't want DVR service) and $6 for the Heartland Package.

If what boba said above is true, then they can start with an installation and the Smart Pack, use a recommendation from me for a $50 credit, and then "downgrade" to the Welcome Pack.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

What a joke the “welcome pack”

The only purpose of the welcome pack was that it was $10 per month.

When I was a dealer they put thousands of my customers on that package to stop them from cancelling their service.

The cancellation fee was $20 per month for every month remaining.

However they would let customers downgrade to the welcome pack to let them ride out their contract.

Dish got to keep the customer on the books while they where bleeding subscribers, customer got basically a reduced cancellation fee they could pay over time, and the dealer got screwed with a chargeback.

Nothing more then a scam for Dish to cook the books for Wall Street.

A normal dealer would not see enough chargebacks to see this pattern with downgrades to the welcome pack

What a joke the “welcome pack”

The only purpose of the welcome pack was that it was $10 per month.

When I was a dealer they put thousands of my customers on that package to stop them from cancelling their service.

The cancellation fee was $20 per month for every month remaining.

However they would let customers downgrade to the welcome pack to let them ride out their contract.

Dish got to keep the customer on the books while they where bleeding subscribers, customer got basically a reduced cancellation fee they could pay over time, and the dealer got screwed with a chargeback.

Nothing more then a scam for Dish to cook the books for Wall Street.

A normal dealer would not see enough chargebacks to see this pattern with downgrades to the welcome pack
SORRY CLAUDE as a customer, Welcome is a good plan if you are looking for a good price for basic channels. Dealers were supposed to find customers for DISH that would last 2 years, just because you scraped the bottom of the barrel to maximize the number of customers to DISH to maximize your profits.

I have the Welcome Pack, which includes the Hallmark Channel. I added the movie pack, which includes Hallmark Movies and mysteries. With locals and about five of the Welcome pack and several of the movie channels in the Movie Pack, I get all the programming that I can watch.

So true. We had the AT250 for the Encores before the prices went up a lot. The Welcome Pack has some of the main channels we watch. Sure, it does not have everything, but we can live without the other channels. Locals were a must as well for us. We have the Movie Pack, but if we need to cut back, the Encore Movie Pack could probably work as well.

For the OP, you get locals, msnbc, and Hallmark all with Welcome Pack. If the person wants Hallmark Drama and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, then he or she could add the Heartland Package for $6/month. If they wait to add it after they sub, Dish usually offers it for so many months for half the price ($3 for x months). Hallmark Channel, RFD-TV, UP, PixL (seems to play Hallmark movies and similar ones as well...a few years ago you could catch the new Hallmark movies on here before they premiered on Hallmark), Baby TV, OWN, Rural TV, GSN, Discovery Family Channel, The Cowboy Channel, and Ride TV are also included.

If the person wants just Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, then they could add the Dish Movie Pack as mentioned for $10/month. Likewise, Dish usually offers it for so many months for half the price ($5 for x months). Dish may even offer these as freebies for new subs for so many months. HDNet Movies, Crime & Investigation Network, Starz Encore Suspense, Starz Kids & Family, Movieplex, IndiePlex, RetroPlex, FXM, MGM HD, Sony Movie Channel, Epix, Epix 2, Epix Hits, and PixL.

If you have Dish, then refer them since you know them. You could both save (unless they go down from the minimum package requirement right away). They could initially keep the package for the promo deals at signup for a year (or whatever the promo may be...I will be honest....I am not 100% up-to-date on new customer promos) and then go down to Welcome Pack although it would not hurt to try to get it after signing up.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
SORRY CLAUDE as a customer, Welcome is a good plan if you are looking for a good price for basic channels. Dealers were supposed to find customers for DISH that would last 2 years, just because you scraped the bottom of the barrel to maximize the number of customers to DISH to maximize your profits.

You think Dish wants to sell a package at that price point?

You missed my point completely.

Yes it’s good for some customers, and how Dish looks on Wall Street.

It’s not good for dish or it’s dealers.

Reactions: EchostarFan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts