Cheapest way to get just HD LiLs and as little else as possible.

What is it about Vermont that prevents locals?

well other than the mountains?

There is one set of stations for the whole state...so unless you live in Burlington, you're screwed with locals. Sure there may be analog translator stations but nothing for HD ;)

Another $5 gets you the Encore package so for $20 you can Cinemax, Encore Thematics Package, Locals and HD channels as well. For $15 you can get that in just SD. Thats a pretty good deal.

and can add the PI Channels for FREE
(taken from the ekb)

Public Interest Channels at 110°
Channel Channel Name
197 The Documentary Channel
264 KTV (Daytime) & Spirit TV (Evening and overnight)
(Mirrored on channel 9394)
265 China Central TV 9
267 Christian Television Network
9400 The Research Channel
9401 HITN (Hispanic Information and Telecommunications Network)
9403 BYU TV (Brigham Young University)
9404 University of Washigton TV (UWTV)
9407 Colours TV
9410 WorldLink TV
9415 Free Speech Television

Public Interest Channels at 119°
Channel Channel Name
210 Cable Satellite Public Affairs Network (C-SPAN)
213 NASA TV
260 Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN)
261 Eternal Word TV Network (EWTN)
9411 Northern Arizona University House
9412 University of California TV (UCTV)
9414 V-Me

Public Interest Channels at 61.5°
Channel Channel Name
652 KBS World (Korean Broadcasting System)
9402 US Dept of Health & Human Services TV
9405 The Pentagon Channel
9406 Classic Arts Showcase
9408 StarFish TV
9413 Almavision
9416 Good Samaritan Network
9418 Panhandle Area Educational Consortium
9710 3 Angels Broadcasting Network

Can you hook up a deactivated Dish 942 DVR just to receive OTA HD channels? Would you have to have it connected to a Dish satellite (like the 811 does) for it to work? Are they going to completely make 942's completely stop working (even for just OTA HD) with a future software update?

locals only $9.99
HD enabling Fee $0.00 (as of 4/7/09)
DVR fee $5.98
Annual Max deal $0.01 (requires CCA and paperless)(HD Cinemax channels)
Public Interest
HBO&Starz free for 3mos (provide email or cca & paperless)
_________
$15.98 plus tax (x2 for first bill)

Pretty sweet deal

Or just get 211 and add external drive for one-time fee of $40 instead to save $5.98 on bill.

locals only $9.99
HD enabling Fee $0.00 (as of 4/7/09)
DVR fee $5.98
Annual Max deal $0.01 (requires CCA and paperless)(HD Cinemax channels)
Public Interest
HBO&Starz free for 3mos (provide email or cca & paperless)
_________
$15.98 plus tax (x2 for first bill)

Pretty sweet deal

Or just get 211 and add external drive for one-time fee of $40 instead to save $5.98 on bill.
Maybe I'll do that when my contract runs out. I'll record everything I can on EHD's until then, so I can watch it all for the next 12 months afterward.

Then I can go stimulate the economy with all the money I'd be saving. Good idea.

Can you hook up a deactivated Dish 942 DVR just to receive OTA HD channels?
yes

Would you have to have it connected to a Dish satellite (like the 811 does) for it to work?
yes it needs a sat signal to work

Are they going to completely make 942's completely stop working (even for just OTA HD) with a future software update?
highly unlikely as it still works as a SD receiver.

I dont know if you get guide info or not. I know on the 811 you do but you need to have a satellite line to the satellite that has your locals. For me in Minneapolis thats 110
edit: nope. Ya gotta sub to get it
http://dishuser.org/rcvrcomparehd.php

keepin DISH with a 622 and 612, HD locals only, cinemax for .01......

locals $10
Receiver/DVR Fees ______?

Or could buy a DTVPal DVR and my cost would be $0....hmmm........I like the idea of keeping cinemax, but it may not be worth it. Have any of you had good luck with the DTVPal DVR???

The DTVPAL DVR is sold out?
Pulled from the market due to technical bugs. A 622 has three tuners PLUS name-based recording and VOD-via-broadband capability (the DTVPal DVR is supposed to support ViP "soon"). For me, the power of a 622/722/722k, even at $16 a month, makes it a TiVo killer. Too bad Dish VOD events cost more than a Netflix membership.

Been reading on the DTVPAL DVR and sounds pretty cool once they work the bugs out. I pretty much watch purely locals anyway. The wife likes TLC for some touchy feely shows, but said she could do without. I like Brewer games, but could really do without (more yardwork and housework would get done :)).

If I were to keep my current set up with 622,612, but switch to locals only, cinemax for .01 what would the monthly cost be?

diggin this thread. When my "deal" runs out in 2010, I'm downgrading to the local HD only, cinemax for .01. The DTVPAL DVR is sold out?
I heard a rumor that the cinemax offer was only going to go on till next year. So I don't know if that's true - but I'm sure you can look into it at the time.

Been reading on the DTVPAL DVR and sounds pretty cool once they work the bugs out. I pretty much watch purely locals anyway. The wife likes TLC for some touchy feely shows, but said she could do without. I like Brewer games, but could really do without (more yardwork and housework would get done :)).

If I were to keep my current set up with 622,612, but switch to locals only, cinemax for .01 what would the monthly cost be?

The Welcome Pack gets you TLC (and 19 other channels) for $5 more than the locals only. Basically $14.99 for Welcome Pack with locals.

I don't know if these numbers are exactly right based on the various fees and the recent changes, but I think it would look something like this:

One HD DVR:
$9.99 Welcome Pack
$5.00 Locals
$0.00 HD Enable?
$5.98 DVR Fee
$0.01 Cinemax Deal
$20.98 Total

Two HD DVR:
$9.99 Welcome Pack
$5.00 Locals
$0.00 HD Enable?
$5.98 DVR Fee
$5.00 2nd Receiver
$5.98 2nd DVR Fee
$0.01 Cinemax Deal
$31.96 Total

Thanks for the breakdown. If push came to shove, we could have the 622 control the bedroom tv also, but it wouldn't be pure HD which wouldn't be much of an issue.

When my current deal expires I'll look into the DTVPal DVR and how that's panning out ($500 for two TVs.......hmmmmm), or I'll downgrade to the welcome pack with HD locals with only the 622.

When you figure out what you pay to watch TV for a year.........sheesh!

Biggest entertainment bargain there is. However, you know you can watch TV on the internet. This threat will hopefully keep prices low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)