Cheapest way to get just HD LiLs and as little else as possible.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
With Dish's latest programming combination schemes, what's the cheapest way to keep HD LiLs, at least one 622 but as little else as possible?

For 10 years I've put most of my TV $$s into Dish, w/ AEP + HD + LiLs + SS and supplemented a little with cable but now I'm seriously thinking of reversing that. Although the SA8300HD receiver really stinks, cable now has more of the channels I like and better PQ on both HD and SD, plus no time commitment.

If you only want HD locals and can get them over the AIR, the DTVPal DVR is probably the best bet since it would be no montly sub cost.

Tech Portal : DTVPal DVR

Turbo Bronze looks to be $49/month with locals and DVR advantage. Get cinemax for a penny. If you want to go the sub route, you would have to consult EBAY for a 622 cheap if y ou wanted to avoid commitment. Or perhaps a 211 with external HD.

If you only want HD locals and can get them over the AIR, the DTVPal DVR is probably the best bet since it would be no montly sub cost.

Tech Portal : DTVPal DVR

Turbo Bronze looks to be $49/month with locals and DVR advantage. Get cinemax for a penny. If you want to go the sub route, you would have to consult EBAY for a 622 cheap if y ou wanted to avoid commitment. Or perhaps a 211 with external HD.

I think DDA Turbo Bronze is $39, not $49. If all you want is HD locals, I'd just do the Pal DVR or put a Hauppauge 2250 in a Vista Premium PC for 2 OTA recordings at a time. Or use Beyond TV or Sage or one of the other software packages. Dvico also has a twin tuner card. E* used to allow people to sign up for locals with a basic package. I don't know if that is still the case or not. I think they charged $6 instead of $5 at the lower end. The package used to be $10. Call and ask I guess. Maybe someone else knows for sure and will respond.

You can do just locals (5.99), but you would get hit for the fee (5.99?)for not having a base package and the fee for not having HD(7.00) with an HD receiver, plus the dvr fee for the 622 ( 5.99), not really cheap any more.

The Dtv Pal Dvr is also sold out and on back order currently. You could save a little with a 211 and external harddrive, then no dvr fee.

edit: forgot you may have the second tuner fee on the 622 also, if it's not plugged into a phone/ ethernet, although I thought they were doing away with that on the first receiver on an account.

The HD fee is $5 insted of $7 now, $6 for the locals, $6 for not having a basic package, so its going to be $17 plus tax for just the HD locals.

Since my first complaint to executive offices a month ago bore no results, I sent them a new e-mail yesterday basically saying to either drop me to only HD LiLs or if that wasn't possible, cancel my account all together. I received a call in about 20 minutes.

In a nutshell he added the classic gold 250 to my Turbo-HD Gold for free for a year with no commitment. I told him to go ahead but I still wasn't sure if I'd stay.

He patiently listened to me rant about the whole FNC-HD fiasco being nothing more than a gouging scheme and that Dish needed to stop with the confusing package combos. Funny part was he didn't disagree with any of it other than to say FNC-HD not being in the Turbo packages was probably the result of negations and might change in the future.

Wow. It really stinks to be customer today of any service. None of them really have "all" that you are looking for(especially with regards to price). So you try to find the "cheapest" solution, I guess.

I have TWC(Time Warner Cable), and have the free HD(not really, need the box for HD on the cable channels. OTA channels are free/Clear QAM though), but no NFL Network come fall. They are still in a dispute. But they do have the MLB network, which looks like a nice addition(plus VS.), all for $63/month.

So therefore I have to supplement using a Dish NOW!/YA! DP301 receiver connected to a Dish 500 come late fall/early winter for the NFL Network(unless TWC comes to an agreement, which I doubt. I am on TWC's side of this whole thing by the way) games on Thursday/Saturday.

Sign up for 1 day of Classic Silver($1.60/per day), and watch the game, and then it shuts off. Granted, it is not in HD, but this works just fine.

Do the same thing with shows/movies that may be on HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/etc... Instead of signing up for a full month, do it day by day(at like $.57 cents/day at the most for HBO), and watch the new episodes.

But I especially will do that for boxing on Showtime, and HBO. I will keep doing that as long as I can.

But it kinda stinks that I have to go to those lengths just to "watch" something. But, i guess I am willing at this point, for now.

I just got NetFlix streaming on my Samsung 2500 Blu-Ray Player, and I have got to tell you, just like TIVO of a number of years ago, i asked myself "How in the hell did I live without this."

Both TWC and The Dish NOW! setup(sold on EBay most likely), may be in serious trouble for a downgrade by me with this new NetFlix Streaming continues to grow.

Good luck to all.

That is for SD locals, do you get HD locals for $10 per month too?

Yea, when you ALSO add the HD access fee... ;)
My point was - whether you just want SD, & HD - you can STILL do the $10 locals only pkg. Just because you also want HD locals, does NOT mean you CAN'T have the locals only pkg - why should the OP spend an extra $2 for NO reason whatsoever? :confused:
So, the OP CAN get SD & HD locals for a total of $15. (add $6 if he has a DVR of course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)