Check your wall plates

jsw5620

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
After the install, we were experiencing a problem on the joeys when trying to join the other's programs with all four devices on (1 hopper, 3 joeys). 2 out of the 3 would work fine but on one it would always get a black screen. Channel info and everything would show up, but no picture. Tech originally thought it could have been the coax to the hopper because the wiring was existing and couldn't confirm it was 3Ghz. He noticed the wall plate and said he knew that it was only rated for 1.5Ghz and swapped it out to the blue barrel on the wall plate. After that the issue disappeared and no more black screen.

A lot of techs overlook them because they can't get to them, if cust can help out by ensuring that the wallplate its accessable it can be a great help. Thanks in advance...

good to know. this will probably happen a lot until dish issues a 'reminder' to the techs. would apply to low-freq barrels and groundblocks as well.

Mine wasn't easy to get to at all. They actually helped me remove my 60" plasma from the wall just to get to it and put it back up.

I have two 90's in the line where the cables come in from outside. They let me run inside my wire mold. How can I tell the rating on them? Could they potentially make a difference?

i can pretty much gaurante the 90's arent rated high enough mhz. look at them, i bet you the barrels are white, indicating a low frequency cuttoff. there are several other colors including red and yellow.blue is approved for dns.
i agree that changing wallplates can be a very frustrating part of an install. this sometimes involves moving someones entire 400 pound entertainment center away from the wall. it often doesnt get done.

Does red indicate high-frequency? That is the color I have in all my wall plates. Just in case I went out picked up some of the blue barrel connectors for my Thursday install.

Are we sure this color scheme is an industry standard or is it just something to do with the particular brand of barrels that Dish uses?

sparc said:
Are we sure this color scheme is an industry standard or is it just something to do with the particular brand of barrels that Dish uses?

Blue barrels are dns code. A QAS will fail a tech for having anything but blue high frequency barrels in a wall plate. Red, Yellow or White = fail! To the other poster who asked about getting some blue barrels, the tech that shows up will have either barrels or new wall plates to install

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have two 90's in the line where the cables come in from outside. They let me run inside my wire mold. How can I tell the rating on them? Could they potentially make a difference?

i can pretty much gaurante the 90's arent rated high enough mhz. look at them, i bet you the barrels are white, indicating a low frequency cuttoff. there are several other colors including red and yellow.blue is approved for dns.
i agree that changing wallplates can be a very frustrating part of an install. this sometimes involves moving someones entire 400 pound entertainment center away from the wall. it often doesnt get done.

The 90's pass everything fine. Hopper and Joey work perfectly using the existing wiring, including 90's at the wall plate.

good to know. this will probably happen a lot until dish issues a 'reminder' to the techs. would apply to low-freq barrels and groundblocks as well.

You want dish to pull out their shock rods and zap us?? lol most of us techs do this regularly. And yes we carry them on our trucks.

The barrel doesn't have to be the blue ones at the Joey location, since obviously the splitter that the Joey's feed from aren't 3Mhz rated. I had a few Joey's do the same thing with the info banner popping up on the screen, but no picture. I placed each one in standby, did a hard reset, and powered them back up to take the initial vital download. 10 minutes later, I had TV at each Joey. Somehow, the download didn't finish during the six step install wizard.

2.25 mhz from dish.

i have a question. i have heard of issues with joeys unlinking if you: run a line off client port to a joey AND run another joey off a tap from host line. any info on this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)