Chicago HD locals

cousineddie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
SW Wisconsin
Whats the quality of the locals in HD in Chicago. I hear someone brag about the KC locals being so good is anyone having problems with the signal in Chicago?

I can't tell the difference between ota and sat on my HD chicago locals on my 61 DLP.. :) They look the same...Very good, about the same PQ as my comcast HD locals...

I can't tell the difference between ota and sat on my HD chicago locals on my 61 DLP.. :) They look the same...Very good, about the same PQ as my comcast HD locals...

Wow. That's very high praise. I've been considering a 'move' from NYC to Chicago. This makes it more tempting.

Hmmm. I was just looking at BFG's HD chart and it looks like NYC is MPEG-2 while Chicago is MPEG-4? If so maybe they have worked out MPEG-4 in Chicago well enough to make it preferable?

I think I will wait another month or two and see what happens with my ota ABC station in Beaumont going hd, before I "move" to Chicago. All of my other Houston HD channels look great in comparison to the crappy channel 13 KTRK abc station. I can wait for another month or two since the season is almost over anyway.

The Chicago HD locals are pretty good. About the only one I can tell a very slight difference is CBS. I usually always have to watch it through the Dish though since I am a little too far out from the transmitter to get it reliably all the time. When it does come in though, it's nice with no sub-channels.

I'm still waiting to get someone out to run some lines for me. While they are on the roof I'm going to have them disconnect from the D300(61.5) and switch to the D1000(129) so I can move to Chicago after they leave. I'm anxious to check out the Chicago HD locals and the additional SD channels that will come with them.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it would be worthwhile to have them just reaim the D300 at 129 instead? I think I can get a decent signal strength on 129 from Indiana and it would be easier to switch back to 61.5 at some point if I leave the D300 as is but I like to consider all options.

I've noticed that Chicago locals seem to have changed to MPEG4 within the last 2 weeks.

I have a very discerning eye and Feb 8th they were definitely mpeg2, I can tell the difference from my recordings of The Office and ER.

After the switch to MPEG4 the channels are not as sharp as MPEG2, what are the bitrates they are using on these channels?

Hmmmmm. I thought MPEG-4 was actually helping PQ with these locals from what others had said.:confused:

Hmmmmm. I thought MPEG-4 was actually helping PQ with these locals from what others had said.:confused:

With MPEG4 it seems there is less macroblocking during high motion scenes, but the colors are not as crisp and the edges of objects are more blurry.

With MPEG4 it seems there is less macroblocking during high motion scenes, but the colors are not as crisp and the edges of objects are more blurry.

I still can't see any real difference between OTA and dish, I still get some macroblocking, but I'm hoping since I had my dish re-aimed that will be corrected(haven't watched anything on the HD locals yet)....

It would really help me if you guys mentioned what displays you're using, especially the size.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)