Chicago land CLTV On dish?? WHen if ever

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
What would it take to add CLTV as a local station to chicago's package? becides pulling hair at echostar.. I know its not braudcasted ota but if dish could aquire this channel i know tons of people who would make the switch. the only reason they dont is because of this one channel.

Both providers have resisted attempts to get them to add cable only local market channels. They do this so as not to open up the floodgates to local news, high school sports, weather and other programming. There is only so much bandwidth. I think they are doing the right thing

I understand that.. But this channel covers all of chicago and suburbs... not any perticular idividual city... it would be like adding nbc or cbs.. yet its just a 24 hour news chann..

and because CLTV carries a "C" as the beginning it tells me that it transmits from Canada (that is if it is a real OTA station). Perhaps there is a problem with adding a Canadian station to a USA only service.

Bobby said:
and because CLTV carries a "C" as the beginning it tells me that it transmits from Canada (that is if it is a real OTA station). Perhaps there is a problem with adding a Canadian station to a USA only service.

Nope, Sorry. CLTV stands for ChicagoLandTeleVision. It is owned by the Tribune and shares many services with WGN.
I have had E* for 6 1/2 yrs and have never missed this. The only thing I ever watched on here was their nightly Sports show. I have cable at my office and we turn on FNC if there is breaking news. During the daytime they repeat the same hour over & over.

FYI - The more common nickname for this channel is Children Learning TeleVision. And I agree it will never be on satellite. They don't want to set a precedent by adding one of these local cable only channels, then he'll have to add them all. E* kept a local Nashville network station off for a long time because they were insisting of carriage of the Nashville local cable news channel.

Sparkman said:
Nope, Sorry. CLTV stands for ChicagoLandTeleVision. It is owned by the Tribune and shares many services with WGN.
I have had E* for 6 1/2 yrs and have never missed this. The only thing I ever watched on here was their nightly Sports show. I have cable at my office and we turn on FNC if there is breaking news. During the daytime they repeat the same hour over & over.

FYI - The more common nickname for this channel is Children Learning TeleVision. And I agree it will never be on satellite. They don't want to set a precedent by adding one of these local cable only channels, then he'll have to add them all. E* kept a local Nashville network station off for a long time because they were insisting of carriage of the Nashville local cable news channel.

I thought it was Crummy Little Tribune Venture. :D

Sparkman said:

Ah, I see, it's not an OTA station, just cable. Not a likely chance of it making it to satellite.

goaliebob99 said:
I understand that.. But this channel covers all of chicago and suburbs... not any perticular idividual city... it would be like adding nbc or cbs.. yet its just a 24 hour news chann..

To each their own. But most of the channels I referred to cover metro areas not just individual cities. The providers have chosen not to carry them. I agree. I think that it would consume too much bandwidth. But I understand that you desire this particualr chalnnel and feel an exception to the policy should be made.

I can understand them not wanting to carry a channel such as this for bandwidth reasons. But, if it is popular on the same scale as the OTA stations, it seems like it would be a good business decision to have it to draw more subscribers. You could make the same argument for any of the OTA stations, they are just local.

Pepper said:
I can understand them not wanting to carry a channel such as this for bandwidth reasons. But, if it is popular on the same scale as the OTA stations, it seems like it would be a good business decision to have it to draw more subscribers. You could make the same argument for any of the OTA stations, they are just local.

thats why i ask because i do get alot of requests for that perticular station expecally from people switching.. LIke where can i find it.. and my answer is unfortunaly you cant.. and i know that alot of people would switch from cable if we did pick it up..

goaliebob99 said:
thats why i ask because i do get alot of requests for that perticular station expecally from people switching.. LIke where can i find it.. and my answer is unfortunaly you cant.. and i know that alot of people would switch from cable if we did pick it up..

Because it would set too dangerous of a precedent. If you carried one of them, then all of the similar local cable channels around the country would want to be carried. Besides the fact that the bandwidth for this isn't there, it would create very messy negoiations when contracts are up for renewal. Costs would increase & E* is very much against this.

WOuld those same people still switch from cable when they find out that E* is not yet carrying COmcast Sportsnet Chicago? While they have announced that it will be on 4/1/05, they entire Basketball season will be over by then. And Comcast will give you CSN-C HD, which will not be on E*.

What are the rules anyway for the "Public Access" type channels that are offered on cable systems? I'm not sure the channel you guys are talking about is one of those, but I'm wondering, is "Public Access" the result of governmental requirements or is it the choice of the cable system to provide it?

Pepper said:
What are the rules anyway for the "Public Access" type channels that are offered on cable systems? I'm not sure the channel you guys are talking about is one of those, but I'm wondering, is "Public Access" the result of governmental requirements or is it the choice of the cable system to provide it?
The government requires them to provide public access. The cable companies create the channel(s) to satisfy the requirement.

On satellite they are required to give 4-7% of their space up to public interest channels. Unlike cable, satellite do not own their public channels. They must carry complete channels unedited by the satellite provider. Cable normally "owns" the channel and programs it with programs provided by people or organizations that request access.

I don't believe there is a law preventing satellite from setting up a "send us your tapes" channel. But carriage of that channel would not satisfy any law. WHY whould satellite bother unless it is required? Their task is to re-transmit other people's work, not to hour by hour program channels. Cable is compelled to provide the hour by hour programming of Public Access channels.

CLTV isn't required by law to be carried. IF one of the local digital stations (say, WGN?) decides to air CLTV as a .2 type channel it will be available via OTA broadcast and may be picked up by satellite providers at that time. All pending the available space on satellite for the channel. But I would not hold my breath.

JL

justalurker said:
CLTV isn't required by law to be carried. IF one of the local digital stations (say, WGN?) decides to air CLTV as a .2 type channel it will be available via OTA broadcast and may be picked up by satellite providers at that time. All pending the available space on satellite for the channel. But I would not hold my breath.

JL

It would have to be WGN since they own the channel. Don't think they ever will do it though. Right now, WGN has 9.1 & 9.2. Sometimes they use the 9.2 feed to provide a Spanish soundtrack, otherwise the feeds are the same.

The bottom line is that it really is an informative channel that does hold alot of demand. Its not a public acess channel like where you send in your own tapes or local acess. I understand that it doesnt have to be carried.. neather does mtv or hbo if the demand is there why not give it a shot. after all if it could be sucessfuly negotated at the same price why not. It would be like having fox news channel with the exception that it covers chicago area metro and suburbs. I can understand badwith issues.. witch would explain why there is no carrage of that channel. Hell I can understand the contratual involvment of rate increases from carrage of that channel but.. (thinking savy business) if they were to aqire that channel and get butloads of cable customers to switch from cable to dish wouldnt that be good for dish?? but after all im just a lothly person asking a simple question :) I dont know maybe charlie is to rich in subs that he could care less about potental carrage of coustomers. then again i do wonder at times. Just a simple point.

one more thing lets say if this did happen.. wouldnt charley have the power to negoate lower rates for this channel being that all these cable subs are now on dish.. after all i know CLTV is not only on comcast but on other various cable systems in chicago land. like wow for instance. so it cant be a public acess channel because cable public acess chanels are cable company specific. unless im wrong..

Dish Network price hike a reality

Programming Remote for Sony DAV-C450

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)