chief justice has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad. Our Constitutional Republic may be in serious jeapordy now. Get ready for a HUGE supreme court nomination fight.

Very sad indeed!

But why did they have to cut into my football game iwth less than 2 mins to go!?!?!?

Oh come on. I'm getting pretty sick of every thread that mentions anything about national events quickly degenerating into a discussion of whatever, whenever, however anything happens, it's somehow the President's fault.

And by the way, recess appointments are perfectly legal.

I had an opportunity to meet Chief Justice Rehnquist in 1997 and again in 2001. Always professional, he dedicated much of his life upholding the Constitution and defending states rights, while maintaining respectful debates in the Court. More importantly, he was just a real nice guy. He will be missed.

I thoroughly agree. The Chief Justice was respected by all members of the court and was a very gracious and engaging man with a dry wit. He left an indelible mark on the court and this country. Rest in peace, William H. Rehnquist. May you receive grace and mercy from the Judge of all men.

Cheers,
Tony

The deed to Rehnquist's Vermont home had a clause in it that said it couldn't be sold to any Jews. The deed was changed to remove that clause at the time he was appointed to the Supreme Court. In "fairness" to Rhenquist, it was reported at the time that certain other prominent members of the U.S. government had similar offensive, unenforceable covenants in their real estate deeds.

When Rehnquist was employed by the Department of Justice during the Nixon Administration, Nixon referred to him in one of the Edited Transcripts of the secret recordings made of his office conversations as, "That Renchberger clown over at justice", which shows that Nixon thought Rehnquist was, himself, a Jew. I always thought it was ironic that Rehnquist had been disparaged by Nixon as a Jew when he wasn't one.

Nixon didn't like Jews, or Blacks, or Italians, or much of anyone else who he didn't think was very much like himself. He even told Kissinger that he didn't trust Jews, which left Kissinger dumbfounded because he was a Jew, and yet Nixon was trusting him with that revelation.

I guess the thing I liked most about Rehnquist was that hockey linesman's outfit he chose for the Impeachment Hearing.

Pepper said:
Oh come on. I'm getting pretty sick of every thread that mentions anything about national events quickly degenerating into a discussion of whatever, whenever, however anything happens, it's somehow the President's fault.

Tell 'em Pepper, I guess the Dems have never done a recess appointment. Oh wait slick Willie made over 140 of them.

Just one more thing for the liberals to whine about, they should just change their name to the "Chicken Little Party":rolleyes:

Speaking of liberals, what's up with Al Gore? Saw him on the news last night and it looks like he went on the Ted Kennedy diet! :eek:

NightRyder

The recess appointment clause was written so that a president can appoint a judge in times of national emergency or at times when the COngress was unable to debate a judges merits.

In recent times presidents have abused their power by appointing judges that could not get confirmed and used recess appointments. This has hurt the American and American democracy people because judges that would not have passed muster are getting through.

As an independent I am disgusted by the abuse of power that recess appointments represent in all administrations. Although it is narrowly legal by the letter of the law. It violates the principles and spirit of the law for which recess appointments was written.

Pepper said:

I believe rtt2's point is that there were better things he could have been doing at the time.

BrianMis said:
Tell 'em Pepper, I guess the Dems have never done a recess appointment. Oh wait slick Willie made over 140 of them.
Get me a link to that number, please.

Thanks. There's nothing official out on senate.gov or anything? After all -

Welcome to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

EEJay said:
Actually, Brian, nevermind. If I'm going to use that information, I don't feel right linking someone to wikipedia because of what I just said

I wonder how often you'll "use that information" now that your independent sources confirm exactly what BrianMis said.

Actually, I'll use it right now. Thanks for the opportunity. I guess you think I'm a Bill Clinton fan (you'd be wrong) and wanted to prove Brian wrong with his point about excess recess appointments. If I wanted to, I'd point out the information in the links say that W. Bush has appointed 110 recess appointments in just over 1 term, which puts him on track to far surpass that 140 Clinton appointed in 2.

Are you done challenging me in these forums, or should I continue to make you look stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)