Choices,Choices what converter box to buy

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Seems like none of the threads on converter boxes are very organized as a review.
So Im thinking that between myself and a buddy of mine we will get different ones and compare.
Choices at Rat Shack are the Zenith 901 and the DS 9950.
Im really leaning towards the Apex DT250 but cant find any in the area.
So anyone care to add to this for a review of these models only?

picked up a Zenith 901 at RatShack Y day.
I have nothing to compare it to so maybe Ill try a
DS 9950 too.

If you wait a week or two, you'll probably be able to the the DTVPal from Dish, AKA TR40. I expect you'd be happiest with it. There are threads on it.

I've picked up and played with a couple Insignia boxes (original design - OK product), The Channel Master (disappointed with sensitivity, channel adding and S-video quality for the price but a nice guide), The Venturer (good basic cheap portable box) and the Digital Stream that has analog pass through (9550?). I found the Digital Stream to be the most sensitive and liked many of the features even though the box does not look very high quality or stylish. I'll try to get more details up when time allows. Apex DT250 is postponed until August I belive based on the Apex website. Happy hunting!

CORRECTION! Is it August? Originally Apex DT250 was due in June based on some dealer websites. The June date disappeared and the Apex site was changed to reflect August availability. The rumor was that shipments arrived and sure enough Apex now points to Best Buy for availability and the BB site says in store only for the moment and a couple other threads refer to the DT250 and some initial reviews here. Sorry for the confusion but do a search here for more DT250 info.

So far the Zenith and Digitalstream boxes have been good for me. Much more sensitive tuners than previous HDTV tuners (including the Tivo HD box).

IMHO, I wouldn't hold out for an Apex box (or any other s-video box). Just based on the inital reviews, plus my personal experience of using the other boxes out there. Digital SD is still SD. I would take program guide and universal remote capability over S-Video. And maybe the VCR timer (if you need that) feature as well.

Zenith seems pretty good but as I said I dont have anything to compare to.
I would like to try the Apex because it has S video and Surround sound.
The Zenith is pulling in pretty good with an old amplified rabbit ear set,comparing to neighbor whos got the latest plasma digital TV and a mast antenna Im only lacking a couple out of 35

tried that with the Zenith 901 and it didnt seem to work,had to rescan
to pick up channels that we knew existed but couldnt manually scan to add.
I thought I was just doing something wrong.
BTW the date on the box was May 08. So they are pretty fresh.

Thats is a big problem when antenna is moved to get some stations, not bad if it would keep ones from last scan.
It would be simple if you could put in the DTV channel number the move antenna till you found signal.

thats what we were trying to do.
All is not perfect but all in all Im pleased with my "$10" box.
Im off to get a DS 9950 next for my other $10.

tried that with the Zenith 901 and it didnt seem to work,had to rescan
to pick up channels that we knew existed but couldnt manually scan to add.
I thought I was just doing something wrong.
BTW the date on the box was May 08. So they are pretty fresh.

The Zenieths let you auto scan to add more channels to what you already have, or manually add one channel by selecting it in the menu area. The list of channels 2-69 is already there, and ones not found yet are dimmed. You do need to choose the real frequency rather than virtual channel number. I entered the real frequency and used the signal to find it, and then it added it to my list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)