ChromeOS netbooks (aka Chromebooks)

I have a Chrome OS virtual machine on my laptop, and while I get the idea of a completely-cloud-powered operating system, I can't say its really impressive. Its Google Chrome, with google and other "web" apps. At least on the version I have, the graphics, in terms of the text, is not really impressive.

But it certainly is a huge difference for an OS. It would be curious to see if it can be separated like you say.

At least on the version I have, the graphics, in terms of the text, is not really impressive.
I presume, that's Chromium, the open source part of it.
Fonts between those two - ChromeOS and Chromium - are different.

Diogen.

Good presumption. :) Although, the VM is called Chrome OS; but the About says Chromium, as does the log-in. Didn't realize there was a differnece. Is it a substantial one?

Ah, never mind. Did a google, found a screen shot. HUGE world of difference, as there actually appears to be a desktop. What I have seems to just be a browser, with no way to minimize it to the "desktop." Strange.

It's the same as Android vs. Google Maps, Docs, Market, etc.
First is GPL, second - for license fee from Google.
Not that it can't be worked around...

Diogen.

I am interested in a chromebook, love the form factor of the samsung but not being able to access windows apps and drives is a deal breaker unless there is some way of dualbooting both.

ARISSat-1 Loaded Aboard Progress-41P for Launch

Amazon EC2 Outage Brings Numerous Websites Down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)