Ciel 2 - ILS Site Active

On the other hand, might testing at 138 be a lot faster? I would think it would take a heck of a lot more time to test only a couple TPs at a time and constantly shuffle stuff around than fire up the whole thing at once. 138 is only 9 degrees away, a weeks journey at GEO, so it wouldn't take that long to move it. They would probably save that and move by testing everything at once and multitasking.

As pointed out above, 138 is a Canadian location, TT&C will be done from Canada, and it is a Canadian sat. They may not need much if anything in the way of FCC permission.

You can't test the full function and coverage of the spotbeams at 138 though.

DISH Network is leasing the entire payload of a newly-built satellite, and you are invited to watch the launch. On Wednesday, Dec. 10, the Ciel II satellite, built by Thales Alenia Space, will be launched onboard a Proton M/Breeze M rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan by International Launch Services. You can see the launch live on DISH Network Ch. 101 beginning at 6:15 a.m. MT.

Ciel II is the largest Spacebus class spacecraft ever built, and will support DISH Network’s expansion of its HD core and HD local services once it arrives at its final orbital slot of 129 degrees West Longitude.

What: Ciel II satellite launch; the Ciel II satellite will support DISH Network’s expansion of HD services in the U.S.

When: Coverage begins Wednesday, Dec. 10, 6:15 a.m. MT; launch window opens at 6:43 a.m. MT

Where: Ciel II launches from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan; employees can watch the launch live on DISH Network Ch. 101 or via the ILS webcast at www.ilslaunch.com

"DISH Network is leasing the entire payload of a newly-built satellite" - somebody mentioned 50/50. JL at dbs ?

What is your source - I'd like to pass it to other board.

I thought I read somewhere else (don't have a link) that E* was getting all 32 TP's on Ciel 2. At any rate, they are using 25 TP's at 129W now, so I can't imagine it would be less than that on the new sat. My recollection is that Ciel doesn't need the capacity at 129 for the time being, so they are leasing the whole thing to E*.

Brad

I believe at least have the space had to be reserved for Canadian use up to a certain time. With no takers, Dish got it all. However, there is a Canadian beam for TPs 17-32. The same TPs are used for the CONUS beam.

I thought I read somewhere else (don't have a link) that E* was getting all 32 TP's on Ciel 2. At any rate, they are using 25 TP's at 129W now, so I can't imagine it would be less than that on the new sat. My recollection is that Ciel doesn't need the capacity at 129 for the time being, so they are leasing the whole thing to E*.

Brad

I am pretty sure that is the case. If a company in Canada needs the space Echostar needs to give it up since 129w is a Canadian slot, as is 72.7. However, the only company using BSS frequencies is BellTV (formerly Expressvu) and since they work hand-in-hand with Dish I don't see that happening... at least until Nimiq 5 comes into play at 72.7 and that is still over a year and change away (theory being 72.7 and 129 would mirror content in Canada similar to how eastern arc and western arc do in America)... Unitl then, Dish can use as many of the transponders as they choose as long as they don't reach more than 'x' subscribers pointed at that orbital location (its a fictional number but it was in the filings when they got permission to use 129w in the first place)...

I am pretty sure that is the case. If a company in Canada needs the space Echostar needs to give it up since 129w is a Canadian slot, as is 72.7. However, the only company using BSS frequencies is BellTV (formerly Expressvu) and since they work hand-in-hand with Dish I don't see that happening... at least until Nimiq 5 comes into play at 72.7 and that is still over a year and change away (theory being 72.7 and 129 would mirror content in Canada similar to how eastern arc and western arc do in America)... Unitl then, Dish can use as many of the transponders as they choose as long as they don't reach more than 'x' subscribers pointed at that orbital location (its a fictional number but it was in the filings when they got permission to use 129w in the first place)...

The Canadian government required that space on the Ciel-2 satellite be reserved for Canadian companies up to the time of launch and after that Ciel had the right to lease any remaining TPs to non-Canadian companies for the life of the satellite. So if Dish gets them, they can't be pulled away if a Canadian company comes along and wants to use them a year or two from now. You are correct that BellTV is the only Canadian company that uses BSS frequencies and although there was nothing ever publically released, I believe that Dish has a overarching agreement with BellTV to provide receivers especially MPEG-4 receivers in exchange for full use of the Ciel-2 satellite as well as half the TPs on Nimiq 5 at 72.7 W. Actually Dish is sub-leasing the TPs at 72.7 W from BellTV who is leasing all of Nimiq 5 from TeleSat.

As a side note when Nimiq 5 is launched and on orbit at 72.7 W which is now scheduled for the second half on 2009, perhaps as early as July, Dish will be able to move the E-6 satellite elsewhere, most probably to 61.5 W to help E-3. If Dish does this they will gain 4 TPs at 61.5 W which are the ones that neither E-3 or E-12 can provide. Dish may use some of these 4 TPs for spotbeams on E-12 that are currently being uses for CONUS. Dish will also gain 5 TPs at 72.7 W since I believe E-6 is only using 11 TPs and Dish will have use of 16.

They have to keep one transponder availble for use by Canada (gov) if requested. But, in other cases, Canada has allowed provision of "equivalent service" from other satellites.

As a side note when Nimiq 5 is launched and on orbit at 72.7 W which is now scheduled for the second half on 2009, perhaps as early as July, Dish will be able to move the E-6 satellite elsewhere, most probably to 61.5 W to help E-3. If Dish does this they will gain 4 TPs at 61.5 W which are the ones that neither E-3 or E-12 can provide. Dish may use some of these 4 TPs for spotbeams on E-12 that are currently being uses for CONUS. Dish will also gain 5 TPs at 72.7 W since I believe E-6 is only using 11 TPs and Dish will have use of 16.

And maybe we will see some 8PSK on 72.7 one day ;)

Surprised Bell isn't running 8PSK yet on the new 82W satellite, guess they have too many of the old HD receivers out there with no 8PSK modules in them.

Rainbow 1 is not capable of providing any kind of service on those 4 Tps. Some of the ConUS traffic on Rainbow 1 may be transferred to EchoStar 3 or EchoStar 6 to make room for Spotbeam activity, but remember that Rainbow 1 has power failure limitations which prevent it from using 100% of its capacity. I mention EchoStar 3 as it is possible that a transfer to it may occur sooner.

EchoStar 6 is currently using all 16 right hand Tps at 72.7. The big question there is when does DIRECTV stop using the left hand Tps at 72.5?

Rainbow 1 is not capable of providing any kind of service on those 4 Tps. Some of the ConUS traffic on Rainbow 1 may be transferred to EchoStar 3 or EchoStar 6 to make room for Spotbeam activity, but remember that Rainbow 1 has power failure limitations which prevent it from using 100% of its capacity. I mention EchoStar 3 as it is possible that a transfer to it may occur sooner.

EchoStar 6 is currently using all 16 right hand Tps at 72.7. The big question there is when does DIRECTV stop using the left hand Tps at 72.5?

I believe the DirecTV agreement for use at 72.7 W ends when the replacement satellite is launched i.e., Nimiq 5. Currently DirecTV is using one of its own satellites at 72.7 W similar to what Dish has at 129 W with the E-5 satellite. I believe the agreement between Dish and BellTV is for Dish to have use of the same 16 TPs that DirecTV currently uses and not the 16 that are currently being provided by the E-6 satellite.

DISH Network is leasing the entire payload of a newly-built satellite, and you are invited to watch the launch. Tomorrow, the Ciel II satellite, built by Thales Alenia Space, will be launched onboard a Proton M/Breeze M rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan by International Launch Services. You can see the launch live on DISH Network Ch. 101 beginning at 6:15 a.m. MT.

Ciel II is the largest Spacebus class spacecraft ever built, and will support DISH Network’s expansion of its HD core and HD local services once it arrives at its final orbital slot of 129 degrees West Longitude.

What: Ciel II satellite launch; the Ciel II satellite will support DISH Network’s expansion of HD services in the U.S.

When: Coverage begins tomorrow, Wednesday, Dec. 10, 6:15 a.m. MT; launch window opens at 6:43 a.m. MT

Where: Ciel II launches from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan; employees can watch the launch live on DISH Network Ch. 101 or via the ILS webcast at www.ilslaunch.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)