Ciel 2 Tracking

I believe Nimiq 4 was tested at 82 degrees West while Nimiq 2 and Directv 3 were operating there. Nimiq 4 was placed in commercial service 22 days after launch.

"...Dish Network is not leasing a satellite they can move..." I agree totally with that, although I have not separately (independently) read of Canada's right to reserve use of one transponder. As the granting authority, Canada may actually have a right to several, if a need is shown. I think if Dish ultimately wanted to move Ciel-2 to 77W (and have 129W occupied by a newer Ciel-2 Partners satellite) that could be made to happen by agreement between Dish, Ciel-2 Partners, and the holders of the 77W slot. If that happened within the next 2 or 3 years, E-8 then could presumably be moved on over to 72.7 or 61.5.

77 is a Mexican slot.

The holders of the slot are already building a satellite to launch to 77, with spot beams. Some of the capacity will be leased by Dish.

I would doubt - solar panels are fragile and couldn't survive in case of high trust.
:rolleyes: Name for us just one satellite that has the capability to stow solar panels, and then redeploy them again! (I don't think such a beast was ever built.)

:rolleyes: Name for us just one satellite that has the capability to stow solar panels, and then redeploy them again! (I don't think such a beast was ever built.)

The way I understood how satellites move is to reduce the orbit slightly and wait for it to come around to the location you want, then increase the orbit to park it. No high thrust is involved here at all. Satellites are shuffled all the time (esp. the Echostar ones) with panels deployed.

The way I understood how satellites move is to reduce the orbit slightly and wait for it to come around to the location you want, then increase the orbit to park it. No high thrust is involved here at all. Satellites are shuffled all the time (esp. the Echostar ones) with panels deployed.

Lower to go east, raise to go west

Doing some elementary math of my own, I figured out that if Ciel-2 continues at its current pace it will reach 129 on Christmas day, some 91 hours from now. It would be irritating if Ciel-2 takes the same amount of time to go active as E11 did, because that would be on...you guessed it, Feb. 1.

Regards,
Fitzie

Fitzie;

The last TLE update was on Dec 15 with no update since then. It's probably sitting at 138W with tests in progress.

77 is a Mexican slot.

The holders of the slot are already building a satellite to launch to 77, with spot beams. Some of the capacity will be leased by Dish.

As I recall, one of the posts recently mentioned that SES Americom owns 49% of the Mexican holders of that slot. In any event, looking at the SES data revealed that fact. They may own a higher percentage than that of the new sat. being built. My earlier thought that Ciel-2 might ultimately be able to move to 77W was based on the SES Americom connection between the 2 slots, as well as that of Dish.:)

Fitzie

We are very used to Dish moving satellites to new slots after being replaced by new more powerful satellites.

What we need to remember is that the newer satellites are spot beam satellites that are designed for that location.

Probably the biggest reason that EchoStar 8 is not using any of its spot beam at 77 West, is that those spot beams were designed for 110 West, and now only land on random areas.

Ciel-2 is designed with 145 spot beams that hit locations across the USA and Canada. It would make no sense to move it to 77 West, where - like E*8 - most of those spot beams would not land in usable areas.

Instead, it makes more sense to do as they are doing now, build the new satellite for 77 West, with spot beams designed for that location.

Ciel-2, being a Canadian satellite owned by a Canadian company, in a Canadian slot (129w), is not likely to be moved to a Mexican slot (77w) by a customer that is leasing it's transponders.

Ciel-2, being a Canadian satellite owned by a Canadian company, in a Canadian slot (129w), is not likely to be moved to a Mexican slot (77w) by a customer that is leasing it's transponders.

I think we see two business plans. Directv had decided to go it alone and built around their 101W franchise. Dish has gone a different route in the last couple years and deals have been cut between the Canadians ( SES/Ciel/ Telesat) and Mexico (Quetzsat/SES) and US (Dish/Echostar). As time passes by, I would not be suprised to see a meld of services from any of the participants's satellites and slots backing up each other for capacity requirements.

Well, I'm considering the thread as abandoned and spammed. :(
Those pictures of new signals should go to that place what dedicated to Ciel-2 at 138W test point.:p

We are very used to Dish moving satellites to new slots after being replaced by new more powerful satellites.

What we need to remember is that the newer satellites are spot beam satellites that are designed for that location.

Probably the biggest reason that EchoStar 8 is not using any of its spot beam at 77 West, is that those spot beams were designed for 110 West, and now only land on random areas.

Ciel-2 is designed with 145 spot beams that hit locations across the USA and Canada. It would make no sense to move it to 77 West, where - like E*8 - most of those spot beams would not land in usable areas.

Instead, it makes more sense to do as they are doing now, build the new satellite for 77 West, with spot beams designed for that location.

Is this true? I always assumed that they could move the spot beams around. The assumption was not really based on any information or knowledge but I guess I always considered it a necessity to be able to move the spotbeams.

Is this true? I always assumed that they could move the spot beams around. The assumption was not really based on any information or knowledge but I guess I always considered it a necessity to be able to move the spotbeams.

Yes. Some sats (like DirecTV's Spaceway-1 and -2) have phased array antennas that can reshape their spots in orbit. But none of Dish's sats have that capability. The spots would still hit the US and maybe be useful, but they would not be were they were intended.

Turbo HD only packages for existing?

Using on-screen Customer Service via phone line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)