Ciel 2 Tracking

maybe they make improvement in efficiency by improving bit error ratios and higher symbol rates because higher output of new satellite thus to allow more channels per transonder

Even on E11, the limit seems to be 7 HDs per TP. I hope they don't try to exceed that. They would have to put 10 or more HDs on a TP to squeeze 25 TPs of content on 16 TPs (although, granted, there is some SD on E5).

There are plenty of existing locals on 129 that need taken care of.

25 TPs are currently in use on E5. Ciel-2 only has 16 CONUS TPs, so some of the locals are going to have to go straight to spot in the transfer.

Thanks, that's a very relevant piece of information that passed before my eyes weeks ago, but was not retained.

I think then that will make a strict order:

- First, moving national channels from E*5 to Ciel-2 CONUS transponders.
- Second, moving local channels from E*5 to Ciel-2 spot beams.
- Third, uplinking new local channels to Ciel-2 spot beams.

Charlie indicated that the existing 129 channels would be moved from EchoStar 5 before any new HD Locals were added.

Of course, that should be obvious because EchoStar 5 is failing, and has excessively low signal strength in the NW and NE, where Ciel-2 should have no problem due to its Canadian tilt.

Canadian tilt? DishNetwork isn't going to be using the Canadian beam. They are using the US beam which doesn't cover that much of Canada. But the users in Oregon and Washington should see a big increase in signal strength and stability.

Canadian tilt? DishNetwork isn't going to be using the Canadian beam. They are using the US beam which doesn't cover that much of Canada. But the users in Oregon and Washington should see a big increase in signal strength and stability.

Man I'm patiently waiting for it. I'm in Washington state and best signal I can even pop off of 129 is 41.. with this snow/ice and bad weather i been hovering around 25 to 35, hardly getting my HD...

That's the best news I've heard in days! :)

I'm guessing it will be on location by Wednesday. Maybe they will start moving things over by Friday night?

I'm sure we are going to see the posts of "whooaaa!! put on the brakes! It's at 127!" Of course this isn't true until they post another TLE when it will instantly snap back to 129 stationary. I'm sure they have gone over and over the calculations on when to change the altitude to slow down the drift to make it perfectly to 129 without overshooting and wasting fuel.

I'm guessing it will be on location by Wednesday. Maybe they will start moving things over by Friday night?

I'm sure we are going to see the posts of "whooaaa!! put on the brakes! It's at 127!" Of course this isn't true until they post another TLE when it will instantly snap back to 129 stationary. I'm sure they have gone over and over the calculations on when to change the altitude to slow down the drift to make it perfectly to 129 without overshooting and wasting fuel.

What's scary about this is that it's almost to good to be true! With my 26" dish pointing at 129, my current marginal signal strength should go up close to what I get from 110/119 on my Dish 1000 antenna! :)

Wait! Are you really suggesting the folks with active control over the navigation of the sat might be using real-time telemetry data instead of relying on information periodically released on the Internet?

I do not believe you, sir! Were it not for the guidance of this forum, they wouldn't know how to drive the bird into place!

What's scary about this is that it's almost to good to be true! With my 26" dish pointing at 129, my current marginal signal strength should go up close to what I get from 110/119 on my Dish 1000 antenna! :)

I'm thinking it will be higher signal than 110/119 for the folks that have those larger dishes with the low noise LNBs.

Wait! Are you really suggesting the folks with active control over the navigation of the sat might be using real-time telemetry data instead of relying on information periodically released on the Internet?

I do not believe you, sir! Were it not for the guidance of this forum, they wouldn't know how to drive the bird into place!

YEAH, RIGHT!!!

With folks with larger dishes, wouldn't that cause overdriving on the signal, leading to some problems? I know in cable tv, to much signal is a bad thing. They usually keep the signal between +10 to -10, anything above +10, is considered overdriving and causes pixelating and distortion.

With folks with larger dishes, wouldn't that cause overdriving on the signal, leading to some problems? I know in cable tv, to much signal is a bad thing. They usually keep the signal between +10 to -10, anything above +10, is considered overdriving and causes pixelating and distortion.
There seems to be sufficient headroom for most cases. I have been using 30" dishes for 110, 119 and 61.5 for years with no problem. Most receivers have a 40 db dynamic range.

Electronic Gain is different than signal into an LNB

You are referring to electronic signal amplification. That is not the same thing as satellite antenna gain.

For the techies, Jens Satre has a nice collection of scripts for satellites.

Online Satellite Calculations - 20©07 Jens T. Satre

Paste the TLE in the calculator and you will get lots of details. Plug in your location for exact times, etc. It's a 3 line TLE so be sure to add the Ciel 2 header when pasting.

Is there some trick to getting it to calculate? I pasted the TLE and hit "Load TLE" and nothing happens. :confused:

Brad

last time I tried Chrome it would not load, so I am back to Microsoft with it.

So looking at this site ... what fields would I look at to figure out where it is?

I see the drift rate at 2 degrees east ... this is good :up

But looking at the Satellite longitute ... it says 100 degrees west. This makes no sense to me ... :confused:

If you can give me a coordinates 101, that would be great. :eek:

So looking at this site ... what fields would I look at to figure out where it is?

I see the drift rate at 2 degrees east ... this is good :up

But looking at the Satellite longitute ... it says 100 degrees west. This makes no sense to me ... :confused:

If you can give me a coordinates 101, that would be great. :eek:

I got an email from Jens this morning. He is going to check his script to see if there is a clock error that activated on Jan 1, 2009. Longitudes are not calculating correct among other things. Jan 1s when the Epoch data started to go wild.

Epoch : Approximately 8 PM Central Time 1/25

Perigee: 35,634.5 km
Apogee: 35,637.1 km

Steady altitude/speed

On schedule for arrival at 129 tomorrow (Tuesday.

I got an email from Jens this morning. He is going to check his script to see if there is a clock error that activated on Jan 1, 2009. Longitudes are not calculating correct among other things. Jan 1s when the Epoch data started to go wild.

That would explain it ... :up

Thanks for the clarification.