Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
I am getting irritated. The cigar makers MUST be paying a fortune for placing their product on tv.

you hardly ever see a cigarette smoker, but now cigars are portrayed as glamorous. boston legal bugs me, last nite saw how I met your mother and turned it off when I saw this prteet gal smoking.

they should be required to show people dying with missing faces from smoking.

wonder who to complain too, glamorizing it encourages kids and the last thing we need are any more addicts costing the health care system a fortune for end of life care.

smoking should be illegal on tv and media, and illegal in any public place.

Just to preface where I am coming from:

I am a cigar smoker..not saying Im great.. just that I smoke a Hoyo De Monterey about once a week.

But lets make a list of things that sholdnt be on TV.

No smoking
No swearing
No sex scenes
No violence
No drinking
No men cheating on their spouses
No women cheatin on theirs spouses (what would lifetime show???)
No overeathing..ie hotdog eating contests, guys stuffing their faces. After all obesity and weight related health issues are crippling out nations health care systems.
No gambling shows...do you know how many kids in high school and college are hooked on texas holdem now?

Lets take off the Sopranos, Sex and the City, and Nip and Tuck while we are at it.

As for kids learning being raised by their TV sets.. I have an fantastic idea..stick with me on this one..parents should raise their kids instilling their own values. Maybe its not appropriate for you to be watching Boston Legal with your five your old..I mean did you complain Will Shattner kept trying to get in the blondes pants?

I musta missed your post that day.

Stupid people, lazy people and, quite honestly, any person or personal activity I don't condone should be carted away and imprisoned. But wait! I don't want my tax dollars to be used to feed and house all these undesirables (to include all liberals!), so let's march 'em off to the gallows and make public spectacle of their torture and execution.

Ok, enough stupid Bullsh!t for one day! Life is full of annoyances and annoying people!! Deal with it!!!

Yes, with all the war, CEOs cheating people out of their retirment funds, drug abuse, civil rights being stripped away by neoconservitism, etc, lord _knows_ cigar smoking is the root of it all!

But why do anything about it, why not just post it to a forum on the internet, surley that will show them evil cigar pushers!

What ever happened to parenting? You can tech your children right from wrong and let them know when something they see on TV is wrong. As far a smoking do like me parents did; The first time they cough me smoking they bought a cartoon of cigarettes and grounded me to my room until I had smoked them all. Have not touch a cigarette since.

wied said:
What ever happened to parenting? You can tech your children right from wrong and let them know when something they see on TV is wrong. As far a smoking do like me parents did; The first time they cough me smoking they bought a cartoon of cigarettes and grounded me to my room until I had smoked them all. Have not touch a cigarette since.

Right on wied.

Parenting went out the window long ago (partially thanks to the gov), it's so much easier to blame their bad-planning and disfunctional family unit on something like television, last I checked there was no law stating every houehold had to have a TV, if every little thing on TV bugs you, throw the TV out, if you claim you CARE so much, losing TV would be a small price to pay, aren't your children worth it?...guess not, I mean it's so much easier to expect the rest of the world to raise YOUR kids for you, after all people without kids have been paying for your kids' schools for decades, so why not raise them too.</rant>

Kids do not start smoking because they see it on TV, or a Movie, they smoke because either the parent(s) smoke, or their peers do, a (proper) parent would supply the child with the right information, and showing the child other ways to relate to their peers, there is counseling available too.

Also last I checked, you are supposed to present ID to buy cigars, just like with cigarettes, yes, I realize many kids get them anyways (which btw, kids don't buy cigars to smoke them, they buy them to open them up, remove the tabacco, put pot in them and roll spleefs, THEN smoke them) from stores who do not obey the law, shouldn't you be going after THEM instead?

Last edited:
Its fine you trivalze the impact of product placement but how many die every day from smoking and even lung cancer from secondhand smoke? my aunt went that way, secondhand smoke. My wifes a cancer nurse, lung cancer is one of the worst ways to go according to her. Trouble breathing leads to getting scared which makes breathing even harder, downward spiral.

glamorizing smoking on tv is a bad idea.

its just a profit issue.

Incidently I watch for stores not checking tobacco IDs and turn them in.

I tell the employees as soon as I see it, and have called the health department while standing in line.

In the end ALL of us pay to care for smoking related illnesses, thru higher health insurance costs or medicare costs. Let alone survivors benefits when people die early leaving kids behind for the government to pay to raise.

If based JUST on $$$ stamping out smoking would be worth it.

I guess you folks think cigarette advertising should still be on TV?

Essentially thats what product placement is......

PLAIN OLD ADVERTISING!

Wonderful,

While standing in that line, are you waiting to buy chips? the Deamon Alcohol? Suragy soft drinks? Lottery tickets?

Do you know how many people die due to complications of a fatty diet and complications due to obesity in the US. You ought to be ashamed! (Insert first hand story of friend/relative/acquaintance here to show how bad the product is)

Do you know how many people die from alcohol use, not just abuse in the world? It is the single largest killer! You incosiderate person! How could you support such a product! (Insert first hand story of friend/relative/acquaintance here to show how bad the product is)

Do you realize that sugary drinks are the largest contributors to health complications. Type 2 diabeties, dental issues, gall bladder issues. How could you even consider buying a sugary drink? (Insert first hand story of friend/relative/acquaintance here to show how bad the product is)

If the sugary drink is actually a diet drink, how can you not know that the chemicals used for these drinks have been tied to numerous health issues? Aspertain(sp), saccharin(sp) are both shown to cause hardening of the arteries and though not conclusive, have been shown to cause cancer? You unfeling person! (Insert first hand story of friend/relative/acquaintance here to show how bad the product is)

State and regional lotteries have been shown to be an unfair tax on the poor since they are the ones more likely to play the games with money they cannot afford to spend on such things. It also promotes gambling which has been shown to ba addictive to a portion of the society which costs all of us money when this leads to crime in order to support the habbit. How could you? (Insert first hand story of friend/relative/acquaintance here to show how bad the product is)

You weren't waiting in line to buy any of these items? Tell me what it was and I can come up with a legitamate reason why you are an uncaring person and a personal story of some one who was harmed by the product to support a reason no one should ever use the product! Even bottled water! You know the amount of chemicals the plastic bottle releases into the water? :)

Using the health costs passed on to us for tobacco use needs to be tempered with the health costs for ANYTHING ELSE including the additional longevity due to a healthy life. What costs more, a person dying at 65 due to emphesema after 5 years of declining health, or a person dying at 86 after leading a healthy life, but suffering from minor ailments requiring continual medicaid care and one year of major care due to declining health and collecting social security for 20 years? I have a personal story for each!

See ya
Tony

Please show me the difference between product placement and advertising?

there arent any differences, and besides marketing and selling to youths is against the law. advertising cigarettes and tobacco are illegal, then why is product placement still allowed?

I believe I am ahead of the curve on smoking. I remember when it was a smokers right to smoke in a restaurant:( or office etc. Now were close to it being illegal in any public place. One day soon smoking around kids will be child abuse.

That day is coming slowly but surely!~

You didn't answer my questions.

BTW, if the Cigar companies paid for the product placement or there was any consideration, that is advertising. If the producers/writers of the show have people smoking cigars, it's not product placement or advertising. Having actors wearing jeans is not product placement. Having acors wearing jeans, showing the Levi's logo and having the actor say, I love my levi's 501 jeans AND having Levi Strauss pay for the consideration, IS advertising.

But I digress. What were you waiting in line to buy? I want to tell you how incosiderate you are and how your choice will be the end of society as we know it!

See ya
Tony

Bob Haller said:
Please show me the difference between product placement and advertising?

there arent any differences, and besides marketing and selling to youths is against the law. advertising cigarettes and tobacco are illegal, then why is product placement still allowed?
I believe I am ahead of the curve on smoking. I remember when it was a smokers right to smoke in a restaurant:( or office etc. Now were close to it being illegal in any public place. One day soon smoking around kids will be child abuse.

That day is coming slowly but surely!~

You seem to not get the point, first, noone here argues that smoking is or was a right (afaik it was NEVER a right to smoke in public, it does NOT show up anywhere in the constitution of the United States, thus showing how 'out of touch' and how much of an alarmist you and those like you, truley are) TV does NOT cause kids to DO things that PARENTS teach them is not RIGHT, unless there are other underlying parental problems, you are blaming smoking on something for which there is 0 proof is the root cause.

It is peer pressure and enviromental exposure by those the child is brought up by and whom the child trusts (TV does NOT fall under this catagory, unless you are one of them parents who leaves the child in front of a TV all day, rather than go out and do something with the child, in which case, it is NOT the TV at fault, but the PARENTS (get it yet?), which causes children to drink or smoke, not TV, please join reality, it's not such a bad place.

Do you really think if ALL stations stopped putting cigs or cigars in ads or tv shows, suddenly kids would miraculously stop smoking? You are dreaming.

When they removed alcohol 'glamourization' in tv shows, there was no reduction in underage drinking, in fact it went UP, same thing with banning smoking from public establishments, it did not solve a thing, except to get cig makers RAISE the prices of cigs via 'vice taxes', which has already been found, the majority are POOR people are the only ones affected by it, not the tabacco companies, which were supposed to be the REAL target.

Thinking like yours is INACCURATE, pure conjecture and fantasy backed by invisible statistics, people like you wave your arms like a maniac, stating that the sky is falling because of TV?, you are an alarmist, the information you base this beleif on is WRONG, but that never seems to stop busy bodies who fail to see the error in their thinking, thinking like yours is becoming obsolete.

The sky is not falling because of TV, Chicken Little, the sky is falling because of the failure of todays parents to accept their roles and responsibilities in thier childrens failings, this makes you an enabler, the blaming of TV for the worlds problems is a lazy, uneducated parents argument to cover up their own inadequecies as a parent.

Noone here is arguing smoking is 'good for kids', but you are attacking the WRONG cause, and frankly, fewer and fewer people think like this anymore.

Let's look at prohibition (which in fact this is a form of) it never worked, look at alcohol prohibition, this did nothing but provide black marketers with a product to overcharge the poor for, it was repealed (gee i wonder why?), look at the 'drug war', the same thing, the gov flails it's arms around and proclaims the drug war is working, and if you look at their statistics as they show them to you, it will look that way, but only because the gov changed the standard by which these statistics are generated, prohibition NEVER worked, cannot work, and will NEVER work, all of them punish the sick and poor, never the actual people responsible, thanks for backing this kind of thinking, you are more harm to the world than all the cigs in the world smoked at once, the secret is to TEACH YOUR KIDS right from wrong, not content editing and censorship, kids need ALL the information, not just part of it, you are cheating your children if you think otherwise.

I know LOTS of children whom do not smoke, and watch every bit of TV any adult does, becuase their parents spend time with them, and teach them wrong from right, and teach by example, if your kids started smoking, it's your fault, period, not TVs.

Pick up knitting or something and toss your TV out, obviously you cannot handle reality.

Last edited:
What brand was the cigar? If you don't know how is it product placing? If I see someone smoking a cigar or cigarette, I don't see anywhere on the product a visible logo that would tell me what brand it is, without closely inspecting it. So how can you call it product placement or advertising. I'm going to advertise a product without giving the name of the product. That'll sell'em for sure.

Now I didn't see the episode in question to know if he/she pulled out a pack and brandished the name that way, but just by showing a cigar, I don't see it as product placement. There is know way of knowing what brand it is.

I would like to start a whole new argument, because I just don't believe that smoking causes cancer. Just to clarify I am an ex-smoker, have been clean for mor than 3 years. I'm not saying smoking is good for you.. Far from it. But I don't think it causes cancer. If it did everyone who smoked would in fact get cancer. Does every person get cancer.... NO ... My grandfather died of kidney failure at the age of 103 he smoked for 70 years. If smoking causes cancer why did he not get cancer? It's not like he only smoked once a week. He smoked 3 packs a day.

What pisses me off, is if someone get lung cancer and they are a non-smoker and have always been a non-smoker, the excuse is... Oh must have been that second hand smoke thing, because smoking causes cancer so it has to be that.

Ok I'm done.... flame away.

Last edited:
Smoking doesnt cause cancer? You a tobacco CEO testifying to congress? heck the tobacco companies knew and lied, about health risks and even added chemicals to make it more addictive.

anyone today who doesnt know smoking causes cancer is living in la la land:(

My point is that cigar smoking is WAY up on tv, so they are intentially working to get it on there. otherwise why the increase? you dont need a brand and couldnt get away with it anyway. so just glamorize the activity

in the 70s tv limited violence on tv, matt dilion couldnt be seen shooting the bad guys.
later cigareette adds were pulled, then they were prohibited on events like the winston so and so. joe camel died, and the !@# are trying yet another way to create more medical time bombs....

incidently for every increase in pack price there is a measurable drop in sales. thats a known fact.

what was I paying for at the 7-11? A newspaper. trees are grown to be harvasted. meanwhile they help the environment.

A typical smoker of old times said I have the right to smoke anywhere I want! and they believed it.

I will NOT eat ANYWHERE that I can smell smoke, and quit eating at pizza hut many years ago. must of been a lot like me, their corporate stores are all smoke free

Incidently I look forward to the day of mass tobacco court case losses, the cost per pack will skyrocket:) to cover the insurance payouts and the entire industry will die. just like so many of their customers!

Last edited:
So why is there soooooo many smokers out there cancer free if smoking causes cancer? Can you give me a midical fact as to why this is the case?

It is just a farse to scare people into submission.

If something causes cancer that means that the substance alters the actual cellular structure of the animal. So that would mean that the substance would then in turn react the same way in every animal. Again if that was the case you would know that if you smoke 100 cigarettes cancer would start to set in. That is how a Carcinogen works. There is a certain amount of exposure that you can take before cancer develops. Not the case with cigarettes, so I would say it is not a carcinogen.

By the way I was waaaay healthier before I quit smoking. Ever since I quit I have gained 75 pounds and can barely make it up a flight of stairs now. So I have now put myself on a diet and got back 20 of the pounds, but still no where near the shape I was in 3 years ago. I used to run 6 miles a day when I smoked. Now I would be lucky if I could run a half mile.

Last edited:
By this guys logic, The Food Network should be shut down because it shows people eating high fat, high calorie foods, etc, and enjoying themselves eating these obviously bad-for-you foods, why stop there, my kid almost drowned, let's take off all the shows that show kids swimming without a life guard, oh and we have kids which fight during the playing sports, we should take sports off the air too, afterall, it's to protect our children from competitive attitudes which cause fighting in sports. Aspirin kills 1200 people a year, we shouldn't be glamourizing them on TV either, what about the weightloss products on TV that cause heartattacks, death, suicides, let's take them off the air too, HEY, I saw a funny fat guy on TV today, we can't let _that_ trend continue on TV, kids will think you can be fat AND happy, and that's just wrong. Where does it stop? Where does the PARENT come into play??? Where???

There is no logic to their reasoning, only knee-jerk accusations fueled by fear, uncertainty and doubt. They are incapable of grasping logic and its application to the real world. Time will serve to phase these dinosaurs out.

Last edited:
They could drive the price of cigarettes up to 10 bucks a pack and it still won't stop kids from smoking... Why is that? because they will just get them the same way they do now, its not because they aren't checking ID it's because they are being shop lifted. Kids walk into wal-mart all the time and steal cigarettes I've seen them do it and I don't even work there. So the price doesn't effect anything. People will still get their fix even if they can't afford it.

When I started smoking it had nothing to do with ad's or television. I started because I was bored. You want to keep kids off the stuff, keep them ocupied. If they aren't bored they aren't going to get into trouble. I was in the middle of a 10 month tour in the desert. Absolutely nothing to do, I was going out of my mind, so I started smoking.

Exactly, every child I know who smokes (including my own family), smokes because his parents smoke(d), or fellow peers smoke(d).

If TV has such a _huge_ influence, how come all the anti-everything public service announcments they have been doing for deacdes has failed to have any discernable effect time and time again?

Mr. Hallers heart is in the right place, I am not saying he is a bad guy for wanting the best for our kids, but he is sadly misinformed, and he is misdirecting his attacks, and in turn only HELPS the very menace he speaks against. Hiding things (good or bad) from our kids only holds back information that the child needs to make the proper desicions, and to operate and function nomrmally in the real world.

You really care about smoking and our children? Go find some adults smoking with their kids and go after THEM, they are (or should be) more of a influence than TV ever is/was/will be, and if they have failed at being a larger influence than their TV?, it is the PARENTS who have failed at that, not the network executives, or tabacco industry.

While it might be fun for sh*ts and giggles to pretend that raising a good or bad child is as easy as 'Bad things on TV = BAD child therefore No Bad things on TV = GOOD child', it isn't, it is unrealistic, addictions and behaviour problems are far more complex than that, modern psycology shows this.

I mean the FCC banned nudity and bad words from network TV and parental controls blocks out the rest from cable/satellite TV, and lord knows NO child has sex or used bad words since they've began doing that right? (WRONG)

The proper tool is knowledge, not content censorship.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)