Cincinnati D* independent installers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sbalmos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Cincinnati (Maineville), OH
See http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/130064-d-installer-pulled-fast-one.html
for my latest horror story. I don't trust Bluegrass Satellite now.

Anyone on here a Cincinnati/Dayton-area independent installer, or know of one, that really knows his stuff? I *really* wanted to help Bob & Plasma Concepts out, as my first attempt last week was ordered through him. But I don't know if it's possible to order through them, and specify another independent installer as the installer, rather than an auto-routed person from Bluegrass / D* national?

I have such great luck with installers... </sarc> First E*, now this.

--Scott

See http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/130064-d-installer-pulled-fast-one.html
for my latest horror story. I don't trust Bluegrass Satellite now.

Anyone on here a Cincinnati/Dayton-area independent installer, or know of one, that really knows his stuff? I *really* wanted to help Bob & Plasma Concepts out, as my first attempt last week was ordered through him. But I don't know if it's possible to order through them, and specify another independent installer as the installer, rather than an auto-routed person from Bluegrass / D* national?

I have such great luck with installers... </sarc> First E*, now this.

--Scott
Hi... Every install is a little different but I also had BG do mine last summer and the installer (Kirk) was absolutely excellent. I did help him (it was August and I got in the attic) but he went the extra mile for me IMHO. He had to run a lot of R6, drill four holes through mortar, but not a lot of fishing... only up from unfinished basement (not behind drywall.) If you email me I'll give you his contact info. :cool:

Thanks, I might consider that. With me, it's the fishing behind drywall, at least somewhat. See my attached pictures. It looks like there is only one staple / tie holding the cable to the stud, at the wall box and at the distribution point. Overhead, the cable is loose. So if we could just get those two staples removed (just yank the cable?), we can pull the existing cable back through with a line tied on it, which we pull back with both cable runs then. Doesn't seem *that* hard, does it?

I'll email you about Kirk in a few. Thanks!

--Scott

Attachments

• IM000522.JPG
    IM000522.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IM000529.JPG
    IM000529.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 207
If you have the installers name that said he couldn't do it, PM me please with his name. Not to get him in trouble or anything but if he needs more training about how to handle different situations I can get in touch with our WTL's and try to get him some help on this. Please don't let this experience cast a poor image of BGS in your mind, the techs that have worked there for years are generally good techs and will go the extra mile to see to it that a customer is completely happy. The new people they bring in, they only get trained for 1 week and then they are turned loose to the wolves whether they are ready or not. Most are not. It's either sink or swim for them and the bad part is if they sink, the average Joe's house is where they cut their teeth at. I personally have been a tech for about 3 years now, I work in the SE Indiana corridor, out of our local office in Florence. If you have the guys name shoot it my way.

Also depending on the type of staples used, one of two things will happen: You'll either pull the staples out when you pull on the line; OR you'll rip the line in two. If they are the big 1/2" metal brads you'll most likely rip the line in two if you try to yank it out that way.

Unfortunately, he never told me his name. I could probably PM you other info, such as my account number, the install date, etc if you can pull orders that way. I'm going to retry the install with a more senior person sometime soon.

I just get the feeling he had a bad install in the morning, mine would be complex, and his darn cable line tester was being stupid.

I have had Bluegrass Sat. over my house on 2 separate occasions, one for my original install and the second time for my HD antenna upgrade as well as hook up an additional receiver in my finished basement. Both times with separate installers no problems and a job well done on each. Would recommend them to anyone for an installation or upgrade !!

The new people they bring in, they only get trained for 1 week and then they are turned loose to the wolves whether they are ready or not. Most are not.
No offense to you but thats not training, thats slam dunking and one of the biggest reasons why the industry has such a bad name and why I hear BGS associated with alot of 4 letter words from others in the industry and outside of it. You cant properly train someone in a week to know how to handle all the variables that will come at them on any given job and as an installer you know that there are more than a rookie installer would have an inkling of.

Last edited:
No offense to you but thats not training, thats slam dunking and one of the biggest reasons why the industry has such a bad name and why I hear BGS associated with alot of 4 letter words from others in the industry and outside of it. You cant properly train someone in a week to know how to handle all the variables that will come at them on any given job and as an installer you know that there are more than a roolie installer would have an inkling of.

None taken, and I totally agree. It would be different if they screened their applicants for those who have SOME KIND of experience or background in this kind of thing. Me personally I've always been good with electronics/computers my whole life. I was the kid who would take stuff apart to see how it worked. LOL

The sad reality is most of the people they bring in have ZERO experience with this type of work. The biggest reason they do it, IMHO is the turn-over rate is so high that they have a very hard time keeping people, with what they pay. I've been doing it long enough that I've seen almost every situation but every now and then something new will rear it's head and throw me a curveball. It's the guys who can adjust and figure out a way to get it done that are the goods one, as opposed to someone who will throw up their hands and give up from frustration or lack of knowledge, which is what really sounds like what happened in the OP case. Either that or the tech had so much on his plate that day that he figured he didn't have time to do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)