Cincinnati Local HD Availability

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BearcatScott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Springboro, OH
My neighbor got a call from Dish this weekend trying to get his business. The caller stated that the Cincinnati local HD channels would be available on Dish in Feb 2009 (we are in the Cincinnati DMA). This is news to me. I haven't seen a date certain for Cincinnati HD locals being lit on Dish network. Anyone else hear news on this?

I have not heard of any Ohio city getting their locals in HD, minus the Cleveland DMA which got lit up a few months ago...hopefully Dish will add Columbus, which is the biggest DMA in the state sometime soon...i really dont know what the hold up is. There are no HD locals anywhere in Ohio, except CLE...i dont understand that at all....

yet they can add altoona and a bunch of other cities that, population wise, are much lower on the list than Cincy or Cols....

Im in Cincy too and trying my best to hold out for Cincy locals in HD on dish. As far as I know there is not only no ETA as to when, but there is a contract dispute with dish and channel 12. 12 wants dish to carry 12.2 CinCW.

Currently dish does not even carry local 12.2 in the SD line up.

To get the CW on dish requires you to add a super station for 1.50 a month

Does Direct carry 12.2 or any other sub channel for that matter? I am luck that I can receive all of the Cincy and Dayton OTA channels fine on my 622, but I sure would like them on satellite so I can record a network show and watch another in HD at the same time. Can't do that right now unless a switch to my TV's HD tuner which is a pain.

Direct and Time Warner carry the Cincy digital channels including 12.2. They both carry all the locals in HD as well.

I'm also in the Cincy area (Monroe) and was thinking about signing up for Dish (I'm currently OTA only). My brother-in-law (who is up north and has a VIP722) said that in order to DVR his OTA channels dish made him pay the extra money for locals even though he uses his antenna (otherwise they don't show up on the guide). If Dish doesn't have Cincinnati locals then is this even an option? If I can't DVR local channels (OTA or otherwise) then that's a deal breaker for me. Not trying to threadjack but since we're talking about Cincinnati Locals I figured I'd ask :)

I'm also in the Cincy area (Monroe) and was thinking about signing up for Dish (I'm currently OTA only). My brother-in-law (who is up north and has a VIP722) said that in order to DVR his OTA channels dish made him pay the extra money for locals even though he uses his antenna (otherwise they don't show up on the guide). If Dish doesn't have Cincinnati locals then is this even an option? If I can't DVR local channels (OTA or otherwise) then that's a deal breaker for me. Not trying to threadjack but since we're talking about Cincinnati Locals I figured I'd ask :)

This isn't exactly true... if you don't pay the $5 a month for your SD locals, then when you add the HD locals via OTA, they WILL show up in the guide, but none of the show names will show up... Therefore to create a DVR timer for a specific show, you must set the times manually...

In other words, it's definately worth the $5 or just get the DVR advantage package which includes locals in the price...

This isn't exactly true... if you don't pay the $5 a month for your SD locals, then when you add the HD locals via OTA, they WILL show up in the guide, but none of the show names will show up... Therefore to create a DVR timer for a specific show, you must set the times manually...

In other words, it's definately worth the $5 or just get the DVR advantage package which includes locals in the price...

Thanks for clearing that up.

Since Cincy doesn't have locals yet is it possible to get the OTA channels to show up in the guide (with show names)?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Since Cincy doesn't have locals yet is it possible to get the OTA channels to show up in the guide (with show names)?

Dish carries the SD Cincy locals but not HD locals. I have the SD Cincy locals from Dish and the guide data for the OTA HD channels does show up. As a matter of fact, it shows up for both the Cincy and Dayton OTA HD channels which I receive through my antenna in the attic.

Dish carries the SD Cincy locals but not HD locals. I have the SD Cincy locals from Dish and the guide data for the OTA HD channels does show up. As a matter of fact, it shows up for both the Cincy and Dayton OTA HD channels which I receive through my antenna in the attic.

Thanks a million for that response! I also get Cincy and Dayton OTA channels and I'm stoked to be able to get both on the guide. Until Dish gives us our locals in HD OTA is definitely the way to go!

I have a Channel Master 4221 in my attic (took off the shield) and I get both Cincy and Dayton perfectly. Here are some pictures of my antenna:

(I'm not allowed to post links to other sites yet so you'll have to copy/paste the urls)
bruhub.com/blogPics/IMG_4371.JPG
bruhub.com/blogPics/IMG_4372.JPG
bruhub.com/blogPics/IMG_4373.JPG

I just ran the coax from the antenna down the wall into the room with my TV. Total cost was under a hundred dollars and has been well worth it (no subscriptions, just free TV). I miss ESPN though and Ohio State has been on the Big Ten Network instead of local channels recently so I'm making the move to dish.

Do all million of the PBS subchannels show up on the guide as well? The kids love Clifford, etc. and I'd like to DVR those as well.

I fear that if I call a customer service rep they'll tell me anything to get me signed up so I appreciate the help guys!

the PBS subs show details on my OTA PBS here in dayton.

My guess is they won't have HD locals in this area until the new Ciel replaces 129 in dec??

all my locals are from 129 and I just don't see them adding HD to a dying bird. (even thought it sounds like the local uplink center here in dayton is converting to ATSC right now)...

Yes all the PBS channels and the sub-channels show up in the guide. The only channel that shows up with "Digital Service" in the EPG is TBN (43) and all its sub-channels. Everything else in the area shows up with all the program info as long as you subscribe to locals.

BTW, AFAIK there are no plans for Dish to carry Cincinnati due to WKRC's CW issue. DirecTV carries the 4 HD network channels, but they do not carry WCET (48), WSTR (64) in HD nor CW (12.2) in HD. Warner Cable (Blue-Ash Head End) is AFAIK the only place to get CW in HD in this area. Warner also carries 48 (PBS) in HD.

OTA works just fine....

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts