Cinema 10: A Clockwork Orange at 9PM and 11:30PM Tonight!

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
i just noticed on 4/1 ---2 different movies on ch 110 switching in mid evening
did i miss this before or could this be more "rotation" or just a test,mistake in the guide...we will see..

and mute-actress patient. Directed by Ingmar Bergman. NR HDTV
Persona ***+ (1966, Drama) Two women trade masks and roles as nurse and mute-actress patient. Directed by Ingmar Bergman. NR HDTV
A Clockwork Orange ***+ (1971, SciFi) Young Alex and his droogs commit barbaric acts in a near-future, dehumanizing society. R HDTV
CINEM10

rang1995 said:
i just noticed on 4/1 ---2 different movies on ch 110 switching in mid evening
did i miss this before or could this be more "rotation" or just a test,mistake in the guide...we will see..

and mute-actress patient. Directed by Ingmar Bergman. NR HDTV
Persona ***+ (1966, Drama) Two women trade masks and roles as nurse and mute-actress patient. Directed by Ingmar Bergman. NR HDTV
A Clockwork Orange ***+ (1971, SciFi) Young Alex and his droogs commit barbaric acts in a near-future, dehumanizing society. R HDTV
CINEM10
They are always showing "A Clockwork Orange" during late hours only. Which is good. This movie (by Stanley Kubrick) is extremely violent! It should not be shown to kids. In fact, at some point it was pulled off the theaters in England by Kubrick's request due to a wave of violence blamed on this movie. Aside of that, this is one of the greatest movies of all times!

I am very glad to see Persona too! I watched this movie long ago and it immediately made it to the list of my most favorite movies. Bergman is one of the greatest directors of the century...

How dare you besmerch "A Clockwork Orange." I think today's modern criminal could learn a thing or two from Alex. No one hums Beethoven while dealing out beatings nowadays. At least muggers used to (or will in the future) bring a little culture into our lives.

I saw ACO when it first came out in the theaters and couldn't wait to see it again. I tuned it in a few nights ago and quit watching after 20 minutes; I'd forgotten how violent it was, I guess my brain cells are going soft.

I watched it for the first time last night. I wasn't even born when it was in theaters. I can only describe the film as strangely funny to me. I was also equally horrified. I'm still trying to digest what I watched. I havn't seen much of Kubrik's work. I definitly want to watch it again. Maybe I'll get a different perspective the second time around.

I also was not around when Kubrick did ACO, but have grown up loving his films. If you thought ACO was funny, you'll love "Dr. Strangelove." Funniest movie I ever saw.

Kubrick was a unique talent! Like no one else!

Here are some other movies by Kubrick shown lately on various channels including in HD:

Full Metal Jacket
The Shining (CinemaxHD this month!)
Eyes Wide Shut

I am still waiting to see Space Odyssey 2001 (my favorite!)
and Barry Lyndon that should also look gorgeous in HD...

P.S. Can someone rename this thread? May be some other Kubrick fans will join the chat...

Ilya said:
Kubrick was a unique talent! Like no one else!

Here are some other movies by Kubrick shown lately on various channels including in HD:

Full Metal Jacket
The Shining (CinemaxHD this month!)
Eyes Wide Shut

I am still waiting to see Space Odyssey 2001 (my favorite!)
and Barry Lyndon that should also look gorgeous in HD...

P.S. Can someone rename this thread? May be some other Kubrick fans will join the chat...

Preach on, brother. Eyes Wide Shut is one of the most underrated movies ever. There is something there that you can't quite figure out until you watch it a few times, then BAM, you realize what the man was trying to say. I also really like 2001. Not so much Barry Lyndon, though.

There was a very interesting full-length documentary about Kubrick last month on Cinemax. History of his entire carrier, interviews with people who used to work with him, etc.

Kubrick was a perfectionist. He could shoot and re-shoot a simple several-second scene from Eyes Wide Shut for example for entire week, until it would look right to him. He never felt any time pressure. Very few directors in Hollywood's history had such luxury!

cyuhnke said:
Preach on, brother. Eyes Wide Shut is one of the most underrated movies ever. There is something there that you can't quite figure out until you watch it a few times, then BAM, you realize what the man was trying to say.
I think I've only seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail more times than ACO. FWIW, The Passion of The Christ kicks ACO's ass (so to speak) in the violence department - ironic isn't it? Tell me what Kubrick was trying to say in Eyes Wide Shut, I guess I keep getting distracted by the hot naked babes. :D

The main message of the movie is the last line of the movie. Thanks for getting the Kubrick forum up and running again subdude.
Kubrick seems to have a breast fascination, does he not?
Ilya, what did the documentary say about Kubrick's films being sexist?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)