Circuitcity.com Back On-line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that page looks just like Compusa and TigerDirect. After looking into it, its the same company that owns all 3 them.

Wow that page looks just like Compusa and TigerDirect. After looking into it, its the same company that owns all 3 them.

After looking at the Barebone kits, I agree with you on the Compusa and TigerDirect look-a-like.

If this additional trade name provides better service and lower prices, I am all for it! :):up But, if the prices are the same between CC, Compusa and TigerDirect then I do not see the advantages other than perhap better availabilty of products.

I think the prices are going to be the same. They probably bought the rights because of the name for the popularity of it and also the customer info data base. But I wonder if they will open any of the stores like they did with CompUSA???

I think the prices are going to be the same. They probably bought the rights because of the name for the popularity of it and also the customer info data base. But I wonder if they will open any of the stores like they did with CompUSA???

It would actually make some sense to reopen certain stores.

Look for an area where CC had better numbers and where BB isn't so strong (mid Atlantic?). Create a regional presence there and start building the brand. Be prepared to sell at profit once regional brand takes off.

That seems to be what TigerDirect is doing with CompUSA.

Not an unusual deal. In a "real" bankruptcy, EVERYTHING has to be sold, including the "intelectual property" which means the brand names. Bottomfeeders often pick these up for almost nothing, and reconstitute them in some way or another.

Among thing that have happened, over the years:

- Lots of Korean companies, including the predecessor to LG, bought up old time US electronics manufacturers' names and repackaged their products under these names, with the intension of selling to brand loyal old people. Zenith, Curtis Mathes, Philco, etc.

- Whirlpool Corporation, pretty much the last remaining US heavy appliance manufacturer, has purchased about every other brand name, again aimed at brand loyal old people.

- Every retailer with any rep at all ends up being a website. In addition to the ones mentioned above, Montgomery Wards recently became a junk store website.

- Rexall used to be a chain of small town franchised drugstores. It went out of business in the 1980s. In Canada, the large Katz Corporation bought the name and operates a legitimate chain of drugstores under the label, and Edmonton's arena is the Rexall Centre. In the USA, an unrelated pyramid scheme (multi-level marketing, ScAmway, etc) bought the name.

I dont think you will see any "circuit citys" reopeniing. It will be an online thing. Its been kind of a new trend to buy a website from an out of business company and kind of open up shop again.

Not an unusual deal. In a "real" bankruptcy, EVERYTHING has to be sold, including the "intelectual property" which means the brand names. Bottomfeeders often pick these up for almost nothing, and reconstitute them in some way or another.

Among thing that have happened, over the years:

- Lots of Korean companies, including the predecessor to LG, bought up old time US electronics manufacturers' names and repackaged their products under these names, with the intension of selling to brand loyal old people. Zenith, Curtis Mathes, Philco, etc.

- Whirlpool Corporation, pretty much the last remaining US heavy appliance manufacturer, has purchased about every other brand name, again aimed at brand loyal old people.

- Every retailer with any rep at all ends up being a website. In addition to the ones mentioned above, Montgomery Wards recently became a junk store website.

- Rexall used to be a chain of small town franchised drugstores. It went out of business in the 1980s. In Canada, the large Katz Corporation bought the name and operates a legitimate chain of drugstores under the label, and Edmonton's arena is the Rexall Centre. In the USA, an unrelated pyramid scheme (multi-level marketing, ScAmway, etc) bought the name.

Nice history lesson; I still miss the "HeathKit" store and their Made in America Kit products. :flag: (for the old timers who can still remember them :))

Nice history lesson; I still miss the "HeathKit" store and their Made in America Kit products. :flag: (for the old timers who can still remember them :))

Don't we all. Killed by the trend toward large scale integration and high pin counts that couldn't be soldered by the hobbyist.

I built a dozen as a kid. My favorite was a "Benton Harbor Lunchbox" 6 meter transceiver. I modified that baby all through high school. PTT mike, FM Transmitter mode, better pre-amp, antenna tuner, mobile conversion, etc. By the end, I doubt it had more than a dozen of the original parts still inside.

Built two H-89s and some smaller stuff. Doubled the clock speed, expanded the memory, ran Pascal programs overnight on it for class projects. I was a THUG. Tidewater Heath User Group. Still miss those meetings, and the discussions over the correct definition of recursion. Never got into their furniture. Bought some 100 series in the Navy when they were on contract, wrote a subroutine to operate a punched paper tape machine to prepare our supply requisitions messages. I thought a couple of radiomen were going to kiss me.

Great way to learn. Oh well, time marches on, but sometimes only as part of the half fast walking club.

Just got an email from "them." All pictures. Since I did not "right click to download pictures" and there was no text, I have no idea what it was. But I'm sure not trusting them. Now on my blocked senders list.

Sending all-graphics email is certainly bad ettiquette, but why do you think it makes them untrustworthy?

...I still miss the "HeathKit" store and their Made in America Kit products. :flag: (for the old timers who can still remember them :))
Count me as one! I still have a couple in my boxes of stuff, to be resurrected someday...! (Always wanted that 10MHz dual-channel 'scope but could never afford it...)

Status
Not open for further replies.