City to fine residents for non working satellite dishes

Good luck with that. I don't think the FCC regulation that allows a dish antenna of one meter or less basically anywhere specifies whether or not the earthstation has to be active. I could be wrong, but I would think that anyone that was fined could take it to court and win.
On the other hand, if the dish is unused and easily accessible I don't know why a property owner wouldn't take it down.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Using Google Earth with Street View, I drove around a few blocks in Easton, PA. I didn't see an abnormal amount of dishes, but the overhead phone and cable lines are a freakin' mess! IMHO removing the dishes will do little to improve the looks of the community.

I don't know why a property owner wouldn't take it down.
'cause it's a real pain in the ass ! I mean, at least with the pole-mounted ones. Sure, you can remove the dish from the pole and I guess leaving the pole won't be a violation. Around here, the poles are buried close to 3' deep and in concrete.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This resolution is a clear violation of OTARD as it has nothing to do with public safety or historic districts. They also apply this to TV and radio antennas.
Council unanimously passed a resolution, introduced by Council Member David O'Connell, that requires the removal of an abandoned, unused satellite dish within 30 days after the dish is no longer in service.

The same policy also applies to TV and radio antennas.

MY guess (and it is only that) is that the city is depending on the section that they cannot "impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming." Their claim I would suspect that if the antenna is not in use they are not impairing any of those things.

I do not agree by the way but I think that is where they are coming from.

MY guess (and it is only that) is that the city is depending on the section that they cannot "impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming." Their claim I would suspect that if the antenna is not in use they are not impairing any of those things.
What you are quoting is simply a 'summary' of the regulation, not the text of the actual regulation. In the question/answer section of the FCC's page, it repeatedly just refers to antennae that are "designed to receive". Doesn't say they actually have to receive or be in operation. ;)

Reactions: Jim S.
I feel that it is unused or improperly maintained TV antennas that have made them so objectionable to many homeowners. I notice many antennas that are leaning with the longest VHF element and cables swinging in the wind. I am sure many of these old antennas have not been used in decades and often one can spot a satellite dish nearby.
One can look back through pictures of upscale neighborhoods in the 1950's and 60's where every house had an antenna and they looked nice because they were properly maintained.

If this became a common rule throughout the country, who would ultimately be responsible for removing the dishes? Currently I'm sure that the home owner would be responsible but how long before that responsibility would be passed on to the company that installed the dish. After all, the equipment is rented or leased and the satellite company does require the customer to return certain equipment, including LMB's.

notice many antennas that are leaning with the longest VHF element and cables swinging in the wind
A dish or antenna that is falling off or dangling can definitely be made to be removed. OTARD does touch on safety aspects and doesn't override them.

If this became a common rule throughout the country, who would ultimately be responsible for removing the dishes? Currently I'm sure that the home owner would be responsible but how long before that responsibility would be passed on to the company that installed the dish. After all, the equipment is rented or leased and the satellite company does require the customer to return certain equipment, including LMB's.
Legally, once something is "attached" to your home, it becomes your property. Notice that Dish or Directv do not ask for the dish, mast, or foot to be returned ? They can't, but more importantly, it leads to bigger, potential issues (leaks from the holes). Same with the big, gray boxes that the cablecos attach to our homes - they belong to us. My Time Warner box has Dish Network parts in it and TWC can't do anything. Well, I do have Time Warner internet so if they came out to do service, it could present a "problem".

techically assuming the dish and lnb are still present. how would anyone know if its still in use?

will they demand to see it in operation?

after i dumped dish over the fee jacking, i waited awhile and finally removed all my dishes.. then began removing all the cables from inside.

that remove cables turned into a big mess thats still not complete. after i cut a couple cables for my OTA antenna.......

being a kinda of electronic hobbist for my lifetime, there are cables everywhere. recently i found some left over from the remote control thermostat controller, that i built for my grandma who died in 1991.....

techically assuming the dish and lnb are still present. how would anyone know if its still in use?

Yes. This is the epitome of a "first world problem". Since it is beyond unquestionable that a working dish is legal, how is anyone affected by a non-working one? And, how do you enforce it. Cops go to the house and demand to see it working? Need probable cause to get a warrant. How do you get a warrant? Demand a data dump from Dish and DirecTV? I think both providers would tell the town to pound sand.

The satellite and LNB are not rented or leased by either Dish or Directv.

They own the LNB because it needs to be returned

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

easier to leave the LNB in place so no one will know if the dish is in use:)

when i was selling dish it always bugged me, that new subs objected loudly to a coax on their home, the home is brick so we dont want any holes drilled in it, yeah but look at all the stuff attached to your home currently. theres a remote reading water meter, telephone cable and NID....

how is a dish any different?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)