Clams Question can Dirt help?

voodootroy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Central, PA Beech Creek
I had a Super Joey relocated from one room to another. Was not happy with the cable location. It is 9" out from the wall. When it could have been right next to the wall. Now i have a cable and a 1/2 inch hole in my Natural Hard wood floor. The only way to fix it right is to put a new floor in. Yea..I could pug it and have a new hole drilled. But that's not the point. Just won't match up or look the same.

So..It would cost a few thousand dollars to have a new floor.

Dish has offered me 2 months of service, and that is all they will do.

I said i'd be happy with 6 months. I was told..no..one one will do that for me.

Am I asking too much?

BTW...It is so hard to get a hold of your rep. It took all most 4 weeks! Do they do that on purpose to frustrate you so you give up? And someone that can speak better English would help so much.

Contact DIRT on here and see what they can do for you. I'm still not exactly sure what was done. Are you saying that you had Dish come out to relocate your Super Joey and they drilled a hole in your floor without asking you?

I think you need to monitor such work and prevent such from happening. To avoid such, I run my own coax before the installer arrives.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Most of the TV sets/entertainment centers I moved when installing had enough dust behind them that a plug in the floor would never show. If you didn't have enough interest at the time the installation was taking place don't expect DISH to install a new floor.

If you were offered that by the damages department, there is nothing the dirt team or office of the president can do. They will be the highest authority on that.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
I think you need to monitor such work and prevent such from happening. To avoid such, I run my own coax before the installer arrives.

Absolutely +1. And this goes for ALL tradespeople who work in or on your home. Too many either just plain don't care or are really too DUMB to appreciate a nice floor or wall or whatever. In fact, a lot of tradespeople can leave your home "unsealed" after doing their dirty work and then the rats come into your home. One has to really get clear what they are going to do and what YOU the customer will approve and work on some "innovative" things to get the job done.

I always discuss what they plan to do. Then if I approve. Then I am THERE watching. Yeah, I got to intervene sometimes and say, "don't do that!" "I want that hole as close to the was as possible" The often respond, "Oh, OK!" They are often willing to do it "your way", but if you leave them alone, they can do it their LAZY DUMB way. To be fair, I have had a few tradespeople, including Dish installers, who appreciate the home and aesthetics and practicality and often explain and do things because they care and don't want to ruin something or have it look bad. You HAVE to watch them all.

Reactions: ChadT41
Absolutely +1. And this goes for ALL tradespeople who work in or on your home. Too many either just plain don't care or are really too DUMB to appreciate a nice floor or wall or whatever. In fact, a lot of tradespeople can leave your home "unsealed" after doing their dirty work and then the rats come into your home. One has to really get clear what they are going to do and what YOU the customer will approve and work on some "innovative" things to get the job done.

I always discuss what they plan to do. Then if I approve. Then I am THERE watching. Yeah, I got to intervene sometimes and say, "don't do that!" "I want that hole as close to the was as possible" The often respond, "Oh, OK!" They are often willing to do it "your way", but if you leave them alone, they can do it their LAZY DUMB way. To be fair, I have had a few tradespeople, including Dish installers, who appreciate the home and aesthetics and practicality and often explain and do things because they care and don't want to ruin something or have it look bad. You HAVE to watch them all.

Agreed 100%. Unless you are being the install nazi, they tend to want to work with you as much as possible. I'm guessing out of either straight humanity, or they want those perfect 0's on the survey. Hell, my tech loved me a couple years ago, when I got my first hopper installed. I made thhe deal, he installs one hopper and Joey, I install the other, and we would race to see who finished first. Granted we had to take a break, before installing the joeys, so the software could download first.

I had a Super Joey relocated from one room to another. Was not happy with the cable location. It is 9" out from the wall. When it could have been right next to the wall. Now i have a cable and a 1/2 inch hole in my Natural Hard wood floor. The only way to fix it right is to put a new floor in. Yea..I could pug it and have a new hole drilled. But that's not the point. Just won't match up or look the same.

So..It would cost a few thousand dollars to have a new floor.

Dish has offered me 2 months of service, and that is all they will do.

I said i'd be happy with 6 months. I was told..no..one one will do that for me.

Am I asking too much?

BTW...It is so hard to get a hold of your rep. It took all most 4 weeks! Do they do that on purpose to frustrate you so you give up? And someone that can speak better English would help so much.

Your own fault if it was avoidable. You'll find the responsible party in the mirror.

If the hole was drilled from the underside blind how was the installer to know ... without the hind sight? If drilled from the top then there is likely more to the story.

Asking for a whole new floor is totally unreasonable. If it is a hardwood floor as you're saying a single board can be removed and replaced if not with a perfect match, then with a very good match. I have done it myself and it is not difficult.

I feel very comfortable in saying you have to be on top of installs. Not giving specific direction to the installer doesn't make it the fault of whatever company if it wasn't where you wanted it.
Guessing this has nothing to do with Clams? :)

As an installer I'll say this that the OP is the responsible party here. At the end of the day you are responsible for your home and if you know a TV location has to be done in a room with NO HOLES then what do you expect the guy to do?? As for being just 9" out of the wall well just put something in front of it or get some trim to cover it. As for claims and expecting someone to pay for you to replace the whole floor LOLz I'm still laughing at this cause they won't do that. Not even Dish will replace a whole roof if there was a mount done and it leaked..they will replace the section and whatever else it damaged and go on. So you really need to patch the floor yourself and go on with life and stop trying to get something for nothing and take responsibility for something you should have paid attention to in the beginning.

As for watching a tech and observing that is fine so long as you are out of the way and realize that THEY are the professional, not you. Otherwise you should have been doing the install yourself from the start. I never did like it when someone hovered over me, I always informed them that if I had to do any drilling or mounting of anything I would consult them first and if they had any questions now is the time to say it (upon meeting and inspecting the house/situation).

It is 9" out from the wall. When it could have been right next to the wall.
How did it end up that far out ? Something is missing in this story....
The only way to fix it right is to put a new floor in. Yea..I could pug it and have a new hole drilled. But that's not the point. Just won't match up or look the same.
Your insistence that a whole new floor is the only solution is laughable. I hope you never have a car that gets a scratch or minor ding that needs painted 'cause your logic is, the entire car would need re-painted ! :eek:

It seems to me the installer should have consulted with you and you should have agreed to a method of installation. If the installer didn't do so, I think you have a legitimate beef. If you okayed it then it is on you. Did he talk to you before he drilled incorrectly and what did you say?

I watch them like a hawk when they are doing anything inside the house. Outside of the house, they can get away with a lot, but that is the way it goes.

As for watching a tech and observing that is fine so long as you are out of the way and realize that THEY are the professional, not you.
As a professional, they shouldn't be drilling holes nine inches from the wall. At the very least the homeowner should have been consulted if there was no other choice.

I agree the OP should have been more vigilant, but you can't have it both ways and then say trust the professional.

Some people just DON'T understand that walls on one floor, can be OFF-SET from the walls on another floor... If you don't realize that, you get issues like this one...

Exactly right. When I drilled a whole through my floor tou get a water line to my refrigerator it had to be further away from the wall than I wanted to because the foundation below came in further. Sometimes you just have to work with what you're given.

Reactions: KAB
Clams, oysters - mussels. Gotta get the sand outa all of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)