Classic Arts and Pentagon Channel Added

southcoastHD

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
California
Just noticed (Sat PM) that the Classic Arts Channel is now full time on 9406 and not just on 61.5...The Pentagon Channel also just appeared on 9405. Not HD but a nice addition for us non-61.5 viewers

They were turned on Wednesday at 129W

from the uplink report

9405 - PNTGN [MPEG2 SD] - Ciel-2 129W TP 21 ConUS beam changed to Available (H)
9406 - ARTS [MPEG2 SD] - Ciel-2 129W TP 21 ConUS beam changed to Available (H)

just so that I know for my second dish... are all the PIs not at 110/119 on 129 now or just all on 61.5 and some at 129?

Those PI stations were on 61.5 & 148 for a long time. When Dish started adding new PI channels, they put them on 61.5 & 129. There is a rule that 4% of your channel count per sat needs to be designated for PI channels. So the folks with 61.5 had access to all of them whereas west coast had them on 129 & 148. EA folks have PI channels on 61.5, 72 & 77. WA folks have them on 110,119,129 now.

With 148 blowing up Dish finally moved a couple of them from 148 to 129.

Channels on a east coast sat that aren't on a west coast sat
9402 HHS
9418 PAEC

Awesome! I used to have a wing pointed at 148 just for CAS, but I wound up moving it when 129 came online.

The irony is that a friend of mine had dish install, free of charge, a dish for 148 specifically for the Classic Arts Showcase, and her system is SD only. Can't wait to see her face when she learns it is at 129 only:).

They are on both now.

no they're not

148 doesnt exist anymore. Echo 1 (that was there) got moved to 77 west and Echo 5 (that POS that was at 129) moved to 148 but then died

There are no signals at 148...thats why those 2 channels were moved to 129

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-34am-uplink-activity-report-150-changes.html

7/31/09
9402 - HHS (A) (H) removed from EchoStar5 148W TP 03 ConUS beam
9405 - PNTGN (A) (H) removed from EchoStar5 148W TP 25 ConUS beam
9406 - ARTS (A) (H) removed from EchoStar5 148W TP 25 ConUS beam
9418 - PAEC (A) (H) removed from EchoStar5 148W TP 29 ConUS beam

I love the Classic Arts as I am a big opera fan. I never knew Dish carried the channel until reading this thread. I went to the tv and sure enough, I found both the Arts and Pntgn channels.

I also went to the Arts channel website to get a schedule since the program guide had no listings. I found out that there is no program guide, either on the grid or at their website. How is one to schedule a recording of a program of interest or make plans to watch it in real time? I don't even know what is on let alone when specific programs will be aired. Their website indicates that if they provided a guide people would watch only what they are interested in whereas this way, they will be "surprised". Hello! What kind of logic is that?

The website also indicates that many subscribers need a dedicated dish to receive Arts. I don't for some reason. Maybe it is because I am in Texas and my dish is pointing in the right direction by default. I really don't know anything about this issue of certain satellites being in certain positions and offering certain channels that some people get while others do not. In any event, I am glad to have the channel but the lack of a program guide will present serious problems.

As often in my life, I stand corrected.:)

I misread what was being said. That's what I get for reading in a hurry. lol
They are still on the EA which is all that matters to me.

correct. EA has PI channels on 61.5/72 & 77
WA is 110/119/129

I also went to the Arts channel website to get a schedule since the program guide had no listings. I found out that there is no program guide, either on the grid or at their website. How is one to schedule a recording of a program of interest or make plans to watch it in real time? I don't even know what is on let alone when specific programs will be aired. Their website indicates that if they provided a guide people would watch only what they are interested in whereas this way, they will be "surprised". Hello! What kind of logic is that?
you're right....it is odd that they dont have a guide. Even the online guides (titantv, zap2it) just say "Classic Arts" all day

The website also indicates that many subscribers need a dedicated dish to receive Arts. I don't for some reason. Maybe it is because I am in Texas and my dish is pointing in the right direction by default. I really don't know anything about this issue of certain satellites being in certain positions and offering certain channels that some people get while others do not. In any event, I am glad to have the channel but the lack of a program guide will present serious problems.
That is outdated info that probably goes back to when there were only 4 slots
61.5, 110,119, 148

After this move from 148 over to 129 as long as you have either a EA setup (61.5/72/77) or WA (110/119/129) you can see it. If you have a D500 only (110/119) or a D500+ (110/118/119) you cannot see it

you're right....it is odd that they dont have a guide. Even the online guides (titantv, zap2it) just say "Classic Arts" all day

That is outdated info that probably goes back to when there were only 4 slots
61.5, 110,119, 148

After this move from 148 over to 129 as long as you have either a EA setup (61.5/72/77) or WA (110/119/129) you can see it. If you have a D500 only (110/119) or a D500+ (110/118/119) you cannot see it

That explains it Iceberg, thanks.

I never even glanced at the arts channel till this thread showed up.
It was pretty interesting watching some of them really old silent movies.
Plus the old musical bits are cool too.

I've watched the Arts channel for a day now, on and off, and I can see why they do not have a program guide. They do not play three or four hour long operas or concerts in their entirety but only 10 or 15 minute highlights. They could have 10 different performance clips during the hour. With this format they can not possibly have a program guide unless they segregate into hour long blocks by genre, such as one hour ballet, one hour opera, one hour orchestral, etc.

Just noticed (Sat PM) that the Classic Arts Channel is now full time on 9406 and not just on 61.5...The Pentagon Channel also just appeared on 9405. Not HD but a nice addition for us non-61.5 viewers

Outstanding! When we lived in Memphis, Classic Arts was one of our favorite "background" channels. We were disappointed when we moved to N. Louisiana and found we couldn't get the channel without an extra dish.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts