Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Classic Mode:

- Easier on the eyes

New Look:

- Features not present in Classic Mode

This is an odd situation.

On most sites, they implement "style sheets" that simply change the colors and other minor appearance aspects.

I'd like to have the features of "New Look" but with the more muted and less contrasty appearnce of "Classic Mode".

The "Classic Mode" specific advantages are:

- white divider lines instead of black ones - the white ones are not noticeable - the black ones make a grid which gives the Forum the appearance of a spreadsheet rather than a discussion. :(
- solid color areas, rather than variable shading - oddly, the "new look" is actually a step backwards from Windows XP look to Windows 3.0 1980's look. All the 3-dimensional look of buttons and other objects on the page was lost.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I also see "NEW SUPPORTER FEATURE: Check WebMail" only when in "Classic" mode.

Also, in the upper-right corner, "NEW LOOK" should toggle to read either "New" or "Classic" (whatever mode you're not in).

Attachments

• SNAG-000.jpg
    SNAG-000.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 161
Remember a few things...

1) The Classic Look is not supported and is no longer being updated. It was jury rigged to work with the latest version of the software...

2) With upgrades to the forum software, that look could go away at anytime, this is especially true as we are getting ready to move to vbulletin 3.8 Official and soon vBulletin 4.0.

So with that said for all the latest "bells and whistles" make sure your using the new version, and as long as I am able to do so I will keep the classic online, but it could go away at anytime as we continue upgrading our software.

Remember a few things...

1) The Classic Look is not supported and is no longer being updated. It was jury rigged to work with the latest version of the software...

2) With upgrades to the forum software, that look could go away at anytime, this is especially true as we are getting ready to move to vbulletin 3.8 Official and soon vBulletin 4.0.

So with that said for all the latest "bells and whistles" make sure your using the new version, and as long as I am able to do so I will keep the classic online, but it could go away at anytime as we continue upgrading our software.

Given that there is some agreement above that the Classic Lock is easier on the eyes, all we would need is another "style sheet" - just like the Halloween one - except made to look like the Classic Lock only in terms of appearance.

As stated above:

- White grid lines instead of black (the black ones make it look like a spreadsheet rather than a Forum :eek: ) [the most important one to me]
- Solid areas and buttons with graduated shading
- Overall less stark contrast between different areas.

what kstuart said +1. I cannot stand the "New" look. It gives me a headache.

The classic mode isnt even the real classic mode right? Is my memory wrong, or didnt the classic have to be updated as well to newer forum software years ago, and what we have for 'classic' is just a skin made to look kinda like what the classic resembled.

The change was big enough that I went to new. I could be remembering incorrectly though..

Ok I had the time to go through the Classic Look and make some changes so that its feature listings in the navigation menu match whats on the new look.

Let me ask a question of those the classic look... what do you like about the classic look? Please explain in detail as a new version of vBulletin is coming and I will be working on the look for that software over the next few months and I would like to have what you like in there. :)

Thanks for your feedback and support!

Contrast, classic is just lower contrast. I used to like it, but it got a little to 'different' when it switched way back when, so I went to new. You should all do it, new is fine ;)

Let me ask a question of those the classic look... what do you like about the classic look? Please explain in detail as a new version of vBulletin is coming and I will be working on the look for that software over the next few months and I would like to have what you like in there. :)
Okay, here it is again for convenience:

The "Classic Mode" specific advantages are:

- white divider lines instead of black ones - the white ones are not noticeable - the black ones make a grid which gives the Forum the appearance of a spreadsheet rather than a discussion. :(
- variable shading in solid color areas - oddly, the "new look" is actually a step backwards from Windows XP look to Windows 3.0 1980's look. All the 3-dimensional look of buttons and other objects on the page was lost

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)